Bargain Picks for 2005 FF Draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bargain Picks for 2005 FF Draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Lung » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:20 pm

Bennett4Prez wrote:Sleepers of 2005.

QB-Jeff Garcia
RB-Willis McGahee
RB-Travis Henry
WR-Nate Burleson
WR-Chad Johnson
WR-Anquan Bolden
TE-Kellen Winslow
PK-Olindo Mare
DEF- San Fransisco 49ers

Honorable Mentions: Trent Green, Duce Staley, Antwaan Randel El, Jim Kleinsasser, Rian Lindell, Jacksonville Jaguars

I like most of these picks, but I really question whether some of these can be considered "sleeper" picks. I know the definition varies between a lot of people, but I've already seen people with Willis McGahee in their top ten overall list and a few in their top five, although that ranking surely will be debated. With 95 catches for 1274 yards and 9 TDs (a career high in catches this season and only 80 yards and 1 TD short of last years' career highs in yards and TDs) Chad Johnson should not be considered a sleeper, imo. Additionally, Trent Green and Duce Staley are well known entities in many circles with the same amount of success forecast for next year, and really can't be considered sleepers.

Your best picks are Kellen Winslow and Jim Kleinsasser, assuming he beats out J. Wiggins for the starting job in Minn. They both are coming off injuries and thier talent may be forgotten in next year's pre-rankings and drafts.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:32 pm

I'm really liking Steve Smith for next year. Mushin Muhammad could possibly be out of Carolina (depends on what kind of pay-day he's looking for), and assuming he leaves (or even if he stays, I 'spose), Smith should have a big year.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby PackerAttack84 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:20 am

Bennett4Prez wrote:Sleepers of 2005.

QB-Jeff Garcia
RB-Willis McGahee
RB-Travis Henry
WR-Nate Burleson
WR-Chad Johnson
WR-Anquan Bolden
TE-Kellen Winslow
PK-Olindo Mare
DEF- San Fransisco 49ers

Honorable Mentions: Trent Green, Duce Staley, Antwaan Randel El, Jim Kleinsasser, Rian Lindell, Jacksonville Jaguars

Not Bad, except not all of those guys are sleepers. McGahee was selected #5 in the ''Extremely Early'' Mock, sleepers aren't selected #5. I also don't think Chad Johnson or possibly even Nate Burleson should be considered sleepers.

Here's my list:
QB- David Carr
RB- Onterrio Smith
RB- Maurice Morris
WR- Anquan Boldin
WR- Lavernanues Coles
WR- Keary Colbert
TE- Kellen Winslow II
K- Rian Lindell
D- Tampa Bay
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FF Newbie » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:16 am

Plummer
Thomas Jones
Pittman
Driver
Drew Bennett
Rod Smith
Eric Johnson
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:07 pm

Charles Rogers just went in the 10th round of the Extremely Early Mock.

Pretty good bargain there if he stays healthy. And if he doesn't, well how many 10th rounders actually pan out anyway?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby joshyboy72 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:28 pm

Delhomme, Garcia
M. Morris, Domanick Davis, Foster
M. Clayton, Porter, Boldin, S. Moss, S. Smith
Dallas Clark, Putzier
J. Scobee, Hanson
Jacksonville, Indy
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby kevinoc81 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:26 pm

Azrael wrote:
kevinoc81 wrote:
Azrael wrote:P.S. McGahee should be a top 3 pick. Had he played all year, he would probably have close to 20 TDs and 1,600-1,700 yards. If you haven't watched him play, there are very few RBs who have his speed, size, power, and explosiveness...maybe LT, after that, he's the next best talent in the league at RB.

I've only seen him on TV. One quick question though:

How come everyone uses the "Fresh Legs" excuse for Julius Jones and nobody mentions that McGahee got to start on his fresh legs at midseason? How come everyone says Julius Jones shouldn't go in the second round even because he is in a tough rushing division, but nobody mentions McGahee's "cupcake" rushing division with New England, NYJ, and Miami?

I am not saying that JJ is better than McGahee at all. I do think that people who draft McGahee in the top 3 are going to be disappointed.

I'm sorry but "fresh legs" McGahee was starting a month and a half before Julius Jones was (Oct. 17 vs. Nov. 25). As for SOS in the division NE, Jets, and Miami are 4th, 7th, and 30th against the run while Wash, Philly and NYG are 3rd, 15th, and 28th against the run. Try again.

EDIT: McGahee finishes the year with 1,100+ yards rushing and 13 scores in 11 starts. But I wouldn't feel safe taking him as my No. 1 back, he only averages 100 yards rushing and over a touchdown every game. ;-7

Yes. McGahee started a month and a half before J. Jones. Like I said though, I wasn't arguing that McGahee is a better pick over Jones (I would take McGahee over Jones too). Fresher legs are fresher legs. McGahee had 5 games of "fresher" legs than every back who started all 16 games. If they (fresh legs) are an issue for J. Jones, they are an issue for McGahee also. Maybe not as big of an issue, but still an issue.

As for the SOS against the run in the divisions, thanks for making my point (in case you didn't notice the sarcasm). Everyone keeps saying don't take JJ too early because he has a tough division against the run. Hello? You just posted it. Does McGahee not have a pretty difficult division to run against?
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LT Blue Colt » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:53 pm

I'm pretty curious to see who will be the best in Detroit. I mean you don't want too many players from one team on your FF team. So, who would you want? Kevin Jones, Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, and dare I say, maybe as a back up QB, Joey Harrington?
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:07 pm

Um, I think my point was McGahee does have a pretty tough division against the run. How many RBs have 2 teams they play against in their division within the top 7 against the run?

Actually it looks like it has changed now, NYJ are 5th, Pats are 6th. Buffalo is 7th against the run. So this is hands down the toughest division against the run. SD and Denver are 3rd and 4th against the run. Pittsburgh and Baltimore are 1st and 8th. These are the only other 2 divisions that come close.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby South Park Cows » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:12 pm

If I were to put together a team of sleepers...

QB- Matt Hasselbeck
RB- Lee Suggs, Kevan Barlow, Travis Henry, Maurice Morris, Stephen Davis
WR- Lavernanues Coles, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Antonio Bryant, Charles Rogers
TE- Kellen Winslow II
K- Olindo Mare
DEF- Seattle
South Park Cows
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk