Onterrio Odd Man Out In MN - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Onterrio Odd Man Out In MN

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:15 am

Hey guys, I think we need to start a suicide watch over MZimm. You know, post him questions hourly just to make sure he stays with us! Clearly, unlike myself, he has not learned how to handle the intricacies and challenges of being a long term Vikings fan. We are a special breed. I always thought MZimm had what it takes to be one, but clearly he was not ready for the "calling" to bleed purple. Fellow Viking fans, now is the time to come to his aid!
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:31 pm

Zimm, please tell me that you are typing from a pc and not a laptop. It's much harder to take the pc out onto the ledge!
Let the man get it off of his chest, guys, he's understandably upset over the way the team is being misrun and that they sign a bargin basement bozo as a coach instead of spending a little of Red's pocket cash to find a real coach.
As far as getting rid of Smith, I think the Vikes would love to, but his refer madness makes it hard to get as much for him as the silly Vikes front office would demand. I don't know that I would put much into your O-line=Bennett>Smith theory, B4P. I was under the impression that getting the tough yards was what they really liked about SOD. It's just his lifestyle that bothers them, correction, it's that he will miss games because of hi slifestyle that they don't like. As hard as it is for me to see the TiceQueens keep all of them, it wouldn't surprise me. That said, I think they would try to get rid of Bennett. Suspensions don't end careers, injuries do. And Bennett is a walking ?.
And besides, B4P, your theory seemed pretty well thought out, and I am not ready to give $Bread$ McCombs and his band of merry accountants credit for that kind of depth.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Bennett4prez » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:37 pm

Did you know, Mike Tice will be making approx. the same amount of money as Butch Davis did this last season? Talk about good company...
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:18 pm

Rick James wrote:I wish you were in my league

im curious, please explain why.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TonyCee » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:42 pm

Bennett4Prez wrote:Did you know, Mike Tice will be making approx. the same amount of money as Butch Davis did this last season? Talk about good company...

Didn't Butch Davis have full control too? If so I find it hard to believe that he didn't make more then stupid Tice.
TonyCee
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TonyCee » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:43 pm

M_Zimm wrote:
TTTBone wrote:Wow, Zimm, are you falling into some Tice/McCombs induced depression?
Snap out of it!
Vikes are a still good team despite Tice's coaching, and Red's effort to cut costs while trying to increase possible team sale value.
As far as the RB situation, I don't think it's (entirely) about freeing up cap-room or spending big $$$ on the D. Improving the team via trade helps Red's sale value also.
For example, you've got, maybe, three legit starting RBs, and to deal one of them in the draft before their contracts are up is very smart business and good for the team.
Also, it's probably the best way to find the defensive help needed if Red doesn't want to throw the $$$ to anyone but CPepp and Moss (the two guys who do increase team value). Free agency moves should be very unagresssive for a business man looking to move the team, but moving a RB prior to contract year probably will, and should, happen.

Sure, the Vikes are a good team, but what's the point in having a "good" team when they just perennially underperform and suck? It's impossible to win a championship, or much anything, including the NFC North, when you don't have an owner who cares about winning, or about the team at all. It's not the Tice/McCombs that's put me into depression. First the Vikings cap off one of the most depressing seasons in my Viking career with another loss to the Packers, at home, for the second time in two years, second loss to them this year. Then, just as I'm starting to think it could be a blessing in disguise because Tice should be fired now, Red gives him an extension. Tice has got to be the worst coach in NFL history, he took a perennial powerhouse, a team that had made the playoffs almost every season, and turned them into a depressing team to even watch, much less follow. I've come to the point where not only do I think they suck, I expect them to lose every game, and when we lose to the Packers twice in a season, ie: our Super Bowl, there's no reason to believe they'll win a game. We lost to the Bears, who were without half their team at the time, including any QB. We lost to the Hawks at home, which diminishes any hope of beating them on the road in the palyoffs. We somehow managed to pull out a win against the lowly Lions, but even with a win I couldn't muster any confidence because of how ugly it was, it reminded me of many losses of the Vikes over the years. Tice hasn't won a close game this year minus the Lions collapse, hasn't won a game in which we were losing after halftime, hasn't beaten the Packers all year and has lost 4 out of 6 games against them in his 3 years. To cap it all off, our owner doesn't care either, so there's no hope for any push to put together a better defense. If there's a guy sittin there at our pick and a guy who he knows will be much worse, but could possibly take less money, no doubt in my mind who he'd take. God forbid him spend any of the $20 mil that he has to spend on anybody good, for we've gotten our once in a decade free agent already. I look forward to signing more Derek Ross' and Denard Walkers this offseason with great joy and empathy.
The last trade the Vikings made was for Herschel Walker, one that paralyzed the franchise for years, thus scarring the team forever. Red doesn't care about the team enough to make a trade, and any trade he makes will have to be for somebody who's being paid less than the RB he's trading, because it would be a tragedy if we'd be under $20 mil below the cap! There's no chance we'd get anybody half decent in a trade for one of our RBs anyway, in a season in which there's going to be tons of FA RBs who are much better and more proven over a season than any of the guys we have, why would a team trade a defensive player for a guy who's been suspended for drugs and hasn't proven himself over an entire season? I'd agree that we have three legit starting RBs, if we'd feature any one of them they'd be a top 10 FF back, guaranteed, but it'll never happen, so it doesn't matter.

Next year, the Tice will finish 8-8, lose to the Pack twice, Lions and Bears each once in their homes, to whatever NFC teams we have to play away, any half-decent, or crappy NFC teams that we have to play at home (ala the Seahawks), and if we have to play any good AFC teams (Colts this year) he'll lose. The Vikes will finish 3rd in the NFC North, with the Packers winning and the second place team being a game away from the wild card spot.

I can't wait for another agonizingly depressing losing season for the Vikings under the leadership of Mike Tice and the oh-so-great Tedd Cotrell as our vaunted defensive coordinator.

Very nice read and considering I live in Minnesota and am a huge fan, I couldn't agree more!! I agree 100%
TonyCee
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flockers » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:08 am

Hey mooch, they invented alcohol for Lion's fans, but they invented vicodin for Vike fans and "hippie crack" for us Seattle fans
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:19 am

Flockers wrote:Hey mooch, they invented alcohol for Lion's fans, but they invented vicodin for Vike fans and "hippie crack" for us Seattle fans

Shows how long Lions' fans have been suffering. We don't use that new fangled Vikodin or C-Hack Cocaine!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:36 pm

the latest news ( you gotta love this viks fans ;-) )

TICE NOT INTERESTED IN TRADING AWAY ANY BACKS...

.Written By TFL Report Editor Bob Harris | Posted Friday December 31, 2004 @ 20:23 PT

According to the Sports Xchange, Onterrio Smith missed the Packers game because of the flu and a minor elbow injury suffered the week before against Seattle, but head coach Mike Tice said this week's contest is the kind of game -- outdoors, on grass against a tough defense -- in which Smith will be needed.
If Smith can't play or isn't used, the Vikings should be okay with Michael Bennett starting and handling the bulk of the carries. In his second consecutive start last week, Bennett combined for 161 yards and a touchdown on 20 touches from scrimmage against the Packers.

In an article published early Friday, the St. Paul Pioneer Press noted that while Tice relishes his depth at running back, the coach does sympathize with the backs. He said Bennett and Smith are both "absolutely starters" and that rookie Mewelde Moore showed that potential.

"We're not a running football team," Tice said, noting Daunte Culpepper's 70 percent completion rate and depth at receiver as the offense's strengths. "We're not going to go out and run the ball 35 times a game. That's just the way it goes.

"So the 18 to 20 carries you have, you have three guys fighting for them, and really two because Mewelde's just down the line."

Tice acknowledged it's difficult to keep all of them happy but commended them for getting along and respecting one another.

Tice doesn't expect to trade any of them.

"You have to remember when you look at the problem, everyone will be speculating trade this guy, trade that guy. Trade this guy. I don't see that happened because how long does Moe [Williams] have?" Tice asked. "Once you lose Moe, you don't have that same (situation)."

Williams is in his ninth NFL season and will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2005 season, along with Bennett. Smith will be a restricted free agent after the 2005 season.

Earlier this month, Tice said the Vikings would ride Smith down the stretch. But Tice added that Bennett did a remarkable job against Detroit on Dec. 19 and again last weekend.

Stay tuned. ... I'll have continue to watch for more specific discussion of this week's backfield plan as it comes to my attention.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:54 pm

I dont understand why Tice wouldnt want to trade smith, moe and mewelde are great back-ups.

Maybe this is one of those situation where tice is saying the opposite of whats going to happen

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk