Season Ending Heartbreaks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Season Ending Heartbreaks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Season Ending Heartbreaks

Postby yoda83 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:28 pm

i just responded to another post about a roster screwup that cost me a playoff game. and it got me thinking about playoff heartbreaks i've endured. and there have been a few.

for instance, in last year's championship (week 16), i forgot to start my kicker gary anderson in the dome against the fading dolphins. i ended up going w/ matt bryant against the colts ---not the worst scenario in the world. however, anderson put up 10 pts while bryant missed an XP en route to a 5 pt performance. and i ended up losing in a tie-breaker. absolutely gut-wrenching. and there have been questions throughout the entire offseason.

and speaking of gut-wrenching! my opponent started amani toomer against the aforementioned colts in our championship. so i got to watch mr. toomer rack up roughly 877 yards and 27 tds against colt CB david macklin. there was even a flea-flicker! just a bad weekend all around.

anyways, since i've shared w/ all of you, i'm curious to hear any playoff horror stories you guys have. you know, that debacle that knocked you out of the playoffs. or maybe watching your opponent being forced to start ron dayne and seeing him go for 80 yards and 2 tds. or just any regular season game that broke your spirit and now you want to vent about. cmon, let's talk.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:54 pm

corey dillon tripping over his own lineman against the titans last year (week 8?). the TD would have given me 6 points. i ended up losing my head-to-head by 3 points that week. damn you bangles, always snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...

Friendliness: %

Postby joester » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:18 pm

I droped Clinton Portis in week 4 last year after taking him as a late round flyer. :~(
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lushcrush » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:35 pm

Last year I was running Ahman Green at #1 RB when he had to be removed from the lineup due to a "sweating problem" which was supposedly causing his fumbles. I swear to God. Somehow, they corrected the "problem" but then he hurt his knee and tailed off a little bit, and I think thats why I didn't go all the way in the playoffs.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby nick_millionaire » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:48 pm

this one gotta take the whole cake:

it wasn't me, but somebody else in the league DROPPED Ricky Williams and picked up Indianapolis Colts Ricky Williams. Fortunately for him, we let him get the real Ricky Williams back...after a 3 week bonehead penalty.
Im Ready
nick_millionaire
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:14 am

my friend traded away ricky williams for the a-train last year before the season started. the guy he traded with ended up having williams AND tomlinson, and still finished dead last in the pool. go figure.

another friend drafted jamal anderson last year, who promtly retired. this, coupled with his annual choice of barry sanders with his last pick ("just in case, guys"), and his game-time decision to try to start BERNIE Mac instead of stacy mack makes for one of the saddest backfield's i've ever seen. his "starters" were stephen davis and curtis martin. ewwww.

Postby Yianni2112 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:39 am

I won my Division for the first time last year. I had to win my last three games and the leader had to lose his last three games.
The leader who I will call LUCKY PR!Ck in this fourm not to mention names ended up beating me in the semi final. Seeing that were in the same division we play each other twice a year in the last five years I am ...are you ready for this 0-9-1 against him. Not including last years semi final lost. I lost by three points and my studs Bledsoe,Williams,McAllister and Price combined for one point (Old League basic scoring) one F*#king point!!!!
And after calculating the following weeks final score I would have won the championship. I had a terrible summer thinking about that lost and look foward to this year for as I said it's a dynasty league and my team should kick some ass this year!!!!!

BRICK BY BRICK BABY !!!!!!!!
Yianni2112
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:43 am

here is a horror story:

last season I was loaded at WR, we start three, and I had Randy Moss, Joe Horn, Marty Booker, Troy Brown, Amani Toomer. However, my tight ends sucked (Wesley Walls, Roland Williams)

so I traded Amani Toomer for Bubba Franks, win win for both sides right?

WRONG, I ended up playing that guy in the Super Bowl, he won with Toomer's monster performance while Franks put up a big fat ZERO that week.

Postby GoldDigger » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:08 pm

Last year Alexander had a very slow start. I had him on my roster and decided to trade him. The following week I played against the team I traded him to and Alexander decided to have a breakout game...that's when he went for 5 TDs and 150 yds (?) rushing. My opponent was laughing all the way to the bank!

HATS TO THE BACK...IT'S RALLY TIME!
GoldDigger
Water Boy
Water Boy

yes, me too

Postby NFLknowitall » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:48 pm

Week 4 last year. I traded Lav.Coles and Michael Bennett for David Boston and Anthony Thomas. Of course Bennett never does anything and Boston hurts his knee. Coles goes on to have the rest of the year be a "Career Year" for him and Bennett rips of 7 100 yards games in a row. Go figure. And yes. The guy with Coles and Bennett went on to win the Super Bowl. Oops.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk