The truth about the Wolverines and Lloyd Carr. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

The truth about the Wolverines and Lloyd Carr.

Moderator: Football Moderators

The truth about the Wolverines and Lloyd Carr.

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:33 pm

Is just what you saw if you watched the Rose bowl. Year after year he amasses some of the best talent in the country, and year after year we see the same team. They can score with anyone, but their D can't hold teams down when they have to. Today showed a D that somehow couldn't find a way to stop the number one fear they have: a running QB.
Now I know your saying that Young has great moves and that Mich was using two spies on him. Understand this, Michigan hasn't been able to stop a running QB for as long as QBs have had legs. OSU beat them with a running QB, and MSU would have beat them had their QB not gotten a shoulder injury. To not find a way to solve that problem is silly, even stupid. It speaks of poor coaching.
Also on that note, it is absolutely absurd to have a team that is rated in the top 5 vicinity every year, only to have them finish out of the top 5 every season. And with for all of his efforts, Carr hasn't been able to find a kicker. A kicker! Poor coaching.
So what you saw tonight was a microcosm of Michigan football. Pretty darn good, but...but

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nilmerf » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:24 am

Hey, don't blame the kicker.. he was solid! But yes, I agree that letting a QB run for 4 touchdowns is ludicrous. You can't totally blame the coaching though, I noticed at least 10 missed tackles when Young was scrambling. The one that hurt the most was when he was deep in the pocket.. an-almost sack, if the Michigan player made that it would have been the game. But instead it's a personal foul and a first down.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:01 am

You're missing the point. If he would have run for 100 TDs that's just a one game anomaly. QB have been able to run at will on Mich for years. No attempt has been made to correct and obvious flaw, at least none that have worked. That is unforgivable in an upper echelon program.
The message I am getting from the AD and coach is that they are quite happy being a top ten team and don't think they have to try to win it all. I suppose they feel it will just happen, like when the players that Carr inheirited won in '97(?).

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:38 pm

Well I definitely feel you on the whole running QB thing. Florida has always had the same problem, please don't remind me of Charlie Ward. Even when FSU stuck Warrick-who they knew wasn't going to throw-in at QB, he'd get 30 yards per play.

I agree with you about "Young having great moves" being a lousy excuse. He's been a below average QB all year long and Michigan made him look like Michael Vick did in college..

And I agree with you that you'd think that when they're in the preseason top 5 every year based basically just on their name and can't finish in the top 5 once in those years, that the voters would learn their lesson. It's too bad the voters are just stubborn idiots that don't watch the majority of the games and don't have the balls to rank what they think are the best teams.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Return to College Football