What do the 49ers do with the #1 pick??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What do the 49ers do with the #1 pick???

Moderator: Football Moderators

What do the 49ers do with the #1 pick???

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:49 am

With all their salary cap woes, can they even afford to pay the kind of money the #1 overall draft pick commands??? Or will they have to end up trading it for more lower picks and current players from someone else???
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:05 am

If I were the 49ers, I would probably trade down to aquire more picks b/c they have a lot of holes to fill
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:34 am

I would take 1 of the top 2 qbs. The defense is passable if they stay healthy and maybe pick up a couple guys. With a solid qb they can be a .500 team I think.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:11 am

This pick will be traded for a number of reasons:

-Teams will want to move up to acquire a franchise QB
-The Niners have multiple holes to fill, and will need additional picks to do so
-The Niners cannot afford to pay #1 pick money to a QB who will likely play half a season at best this year
-It has been speculated that many of the better players eligible for the draft will decide to return to school. I dont buy into that too much, but it would make the draft extremely weak

The Niners and Dolphins should probably look to trade down.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:34 am

I'm really hoping they trade the pick to get two or three guys who can significantly help the defense or the line in some way - hopefully immediately. Sure, Tim Rattay isn't the ideal QB, but with the money the team has left they'll have to try to go with what they have. Everyone in the NFL has talent. Giving the offense a chance to gain yardage and helping the defense actually stop someone from scoring will be a start.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:28 am

Ideally: trade down, multiple times. Take a RB in the mid to late 1st round, trade off Barlow, and spend the rest of the draft on OL and DL.

Realistically: trade down once or twice and draft lots of linemen, or make Leinhart their entire future.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby proKrastinate » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:53 am

I don't want to draft a QB at all. I think our offensive line won't give whatever QB we have right now enough time or confidence to perform any better than what we already have. Further, right now there is no indication that Rattay can't be our long term solution. He has been injured all year. Whether or not he is injury prone we can decide perhaps next year, or the year after. Behind the swiss cheese Oline he made some mistakes, and perhaps made them often. But...
Source -- someone from the Niners Hardcore Forum
Not one of the 325 passes Rattay tossed this season in his first year as the full-time starter, in fact, was thrown with a healthy arm. Rattay completed 198 of those passes (60.9 percent) for 2,169 yards with 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. His passer rating of 78.1 ranks 10th in the NFC.

I saw we give him atleast next year, if not two more years to see if he can lead this team. I mean, Baltimore has given Boller time, so why can't we give Rattay some time. We build a supporting cast, then if it doesn't work, then we pickup a QB. However, there is one thing that for the life of me I can subdue the hype for. Though I know Brees has really only had one good year, the year before his FA, I would be intrigued to bring him in. I don't know why I like that idea, because he would still be playing behind our patchwork line, but the idea just won't go away ;). Atleast it would be better than taking a QB in the draft. Hes got some experience and at 26 hes still got a lot of years ahead of him.

Though I haven't done any research myself on the situation, I read again at the hard core niner forum that our cap situation won't be like it was previously mentioned. Ill give another quote from there...
Posted by Soda
for all you "York is cheap" people out there:

I honestly think that there's a good possibility that John York intentionally floated the "fact" that the niners would be in cap hell for the 2005 season in order to keep expectations from the fan base low. This way, if things don't go well next year, some fans will say "well, we weren't supposed to be good again until 2006 anyway" and will keep buying those tickets and those paraphenelia. Let me level with the fans right now:

FACT - as of this instant in time, there is ONE and only ONE committed dead money cap charge on the cap which starts in march, 2005. That hit is the remainder of the dead money owed Zack Bronson, who was cut after June 1st, 2004. That's it. Starting in march of 2005, Jeff Garcia, Junior Bryant, Terrell Owens, and any one else you might have heard that isn't a) on this roster right now and whose going to get cut or b) whose name is zack bronson isn't a dead money cap hit. That's just it.

So, the idea that the niners will be "in cap hell" this offseason simply DOESN'T conform to the reality of what the NFL's collective bargaining agreement dictates the cap rules are. The niners should have GOBS of cap space this offseason, even AFTER the tag for JP is factored into the equation. That's because they had only a bit over a 60 million dollar payroll this year FACTORING in JP's one year franchise tender deal, so even if that deal increases slightly this coming offseason, and the niners tag him again, they should still have about 15 million dollars of free cap space. The idea that the niners will still be hampered tremendously by the cap is an outright lie. Factor in the new TV deals that will kick in within the next two seasons, and there are absolutely no troubles between this team and the cap, for the foreseeable future. If John York simply doesn't want to spend the money, he'll have to find another culprit, the salary cap won't be there to kick around anymore........

So it seems that we DO have the money to make whatever selection we would like. If we did take a QB #1 overall, we could afford him. Though we probably couldn't do much else if we did. Our luck the niners org would want Lienhart, and he comes out for the draft...represented by the Postons. :-P
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:39 pm

Trade it for Coach Belicheck
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby JimmyChoi » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:04 pm

I also agree that Rattay is not a horrible fit for that team...
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ljthockey » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:29 pm

maddog60 wrote:Ideally: trade down, multiple times. Take a RB in the mid to late 1st round, trade off Barlow, and spend the rest of the draft on OL and DL.

Realistically: trade down once or twice and draft lots of linemen, or make Leinhart their entire future.

If the niners do draft a QB instead of trading down personally I would rather have Rodgers.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk