What do the 49ers do with the #1 pick??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What do the 49ers do with the #1 pick???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby matmat » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:31 pm

waste it

sorry. couldn't resist.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LT Blue Colt » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:49 pm

They'll probably trade it. My next question is, who? And who really needs it?
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Football Newbie » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:55 pm

I was just thinking back, how good would the chargers have been had they drafted Gallery at 1 or maybe fitzgerald or roy williams? Crazy to think about eh?
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:56 pm

Call Uncle Al across the bay. Even though Collins played decent down the stretch they need a QB of the future.
Who da man? Sp_Da_Man !
Sp_Da_Man
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:37 pm

I'd also rather have Rodgers than Leinhart, but personally, I believe the 9ers should trade down as well. Maybe trade the pick away for some vets and late round picks. They are in cap HELL, and they would remove any semblance of a defense that they had if they wanted to pay a #1 pick franchise money.

OR, they could draft Rodgers, or another big name, and dangle him as trade bait. Don't know why... but it's kind of what San Diego did.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:44 am

ok you guys have convinced me, they should trade down.

Trade it for Coach Belicheck

you cant have him!
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LT Blue Colt » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:16 am

The biggest thing it seems like the 49er's need is a new owner. Someone who's willing to pay an average sallery to the players. I know there's always gotta be someone at the bottom of a number's race, but the 49er's cap is just way to shy of the whole 9 yards. Which is a term that derives from masonry and not football. Where one whole load from a mixer truck is used. A little out of date, due to the fact most modern concrete mixer trucks carry a max load of 11 yards. Should we start saying the whole 11 yards? For those confused, as I was, thinking it was football, they would still probably be dumbfounded wondering why not 10? Isn't that a 1st down? HaHa! I love it, keep them all in the dark! Sorry . . . useless information . . . please don't kick me out!!!
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:16 pm

LT Blue Colt wrote:The biggest thing it seems like the 49er's need is a new owner. Someone who's willing to pay an average sallery to the players. I know there's always gotta be someone at the bottom of a number's race, but the 49er's cap is just way to shy of the whole 9 yards. Which is a term that derives from masonry and not football. Where one whole load from a mixer truck is used. A little out of date, due to the fact most modern concrete mixer trucks carry a max load of 11 yards. Should we start saying the whole 11 yards? For those confused, as I was, thinking it was football, they would still probably be dumbfounded wondering why not 10? Isn't that a 1st down? HaHa! I love it, keep them all in the dark! Sorry . . . useless information . . . please don't kick me out!!!

The niners dont have a full cap because they made some moves in the 90s to attempt to win super bowls, and they are still paying for it in cap now (ppl like Steve Young are still taking up cap room on that team).

Your point about ownership is valid in a place like Minnesota, but SF is stuck until they finish paying off their 90s players.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:35 pm

I heard on the radio that SF 49ers have lots of $$$ or cap space to make more than a few moves. Lee Hacksaw hamilton on xtra 690. Very reputable radio guy. He even said that. The Niners are considering cleaning house from top to bottom.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Demented Avenger » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:45 am

Evolution wrote:
The niners dont have a full cap because they made some moves in the 90s to attempt to win super bowls, and they are still paying for it in cap now (ppl like Steve Young are still taking up cap room on that team).

Your point about ownership is valid in a place like Minnesota, but SF is stuck until they finish paying off their 90s players.

I believe the majority of the niners' $28-million cap hit comes from players that were cut last year. Garcia alone cost over $10 million in cap space, and Owens cost nearly $5 million.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk