What do the 49ers do with the #1 pick??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What do the 49ers do with the #1 pick???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Evolution » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:02 am

Demented Avenger wrote:
Evolution wrote:
The niners dont have a full cap because they made some moves in the 90s to attempt to win super bowls, and they are still paying for it in cap now (ppl like Steve Young are still taking up cap room on that team).

Your point about ownership is valid in a place like Minnesota, but SF is stuck until they finish paying off their 90s players.

I believe the majority of the niners' $28-million cap hit comes from players that were cut last year. Garcia alone cost over $10 million in cap space, and Owens cost nearly $5 million.

This is true as well, I did not account for the Garcia and Owens disasters. I know that they are still paying some people deferred salaries, however.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:35 am

I think they should just draft Mike Williams, Bring back Steve Young and go to the super bowl next year! ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sweeper193 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:14 pm

i dont feel like reading all this stuff, cus i really dont care about the niners, however there wont be any team taking a qb first over all.. thats just crazy, there arent any TOP QBs in this draft..
sweeper193
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:25 pm

sweeper193 wrote:i dont feel like reading all this stuff, cus i really dont care about the niners, however there wont be any team taking a qb first over all.. thats just crazy, there arent any TOP QBs in this draft..

You don't consider Rodgers and Leinart(if he comes out) top QB's? :-? It's not like this year has a very strong draft class.
Anyways...I think the 9ers should trade down
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Demented Avenger » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:26 pm

sweeper193 wrote:i dont feel like reading all this stuff, cus i really dont care about the niners, however there wont be any team taking a qb first over all.. thats just crazy, there arent any TOP QBs in this draft..

What if a QB is considered the best player available? If the Niners don't trade their pick, they're in such a bad state that they may go the "best available" route instead of based on need, because they "need" in virtually every position.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:43 pm

I expect San Fran to trade down, possibly with Cleveland or Oakland, since both of those teams need a franchise QB. I'm starting to think Miami may also do the same since they're over the cap by $20 million.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:49 pm

I don't know about Cleveland...they just spent a bunch of cash on Garcia, and he is supposed to be their answer at QB. Oakland I might understand since Collins is marginally good at best and isn't getting much younger.

How about you Packers fans? You're still looking for a viable understudy for Favre, and you're probably not getting Brees now...why not trade with SF to get a QB for the future? :-? A good player in the secondary or a lineman might be had with a pick in the late 10s - early 20s...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:06 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I don't know about Cleveland...they just spent a bunch of cash on Garcia, and he is supposed to be their answer at QB. Oakland I might understand since Collins is marginally good at best and isn't getting much younger.

How about you Packers fans? You're still looking for a viable understudy for Favre, and you're probably not getting Brees now...why not trade with SF to get a QB for the future? :-? A good player in the secondary or a lineman might be had with a pick in the late 10s - early 20s...

Garcia didn't exactly set the world ablaze, plus I hear he wants out of Cleveland. Plus isn't Garcia like 34 years old? It would never be to early to look to the future, especially at that position.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:11 pm

bagobonez wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:I don't know about Cleveland...they just spent a bunch of cash on Garcia, and he is supposed to be their answer at QB. Oakland I might understand since Collins is marginally good at best and isn't getting much younger.

Garcia didn't exactly set the world ablaze, plus I hear he wants out of Cleveland. Plus isn't Garcia like 34 years old? It would never be to early to look to the future, especially at that position.

Being from Cleveland and everything, I know that Garcia will NOT be back next year if he gets what he wants. He is unhappy about how they "used" him and feels that he can start elsewhere. As for taking a QB, I would honestly love to have Leinart as our QB but I dont want his career to be destroyed b/c he doesnt have an offensive line. I feel Cleveland should trade down along with San Fran
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:01 am

I agree with most people here that they should trade down if they can. They would definitely benefit by an extra player or two. While most feel this is a weaker class, I feel there is a good bit of depth. Lots of good players will be out there.

They could get a RB if Barlow isn't the answer late in the first or second, some help on the line, even a big play wideout. Even could use some secondary help. There are a number of gaps. So the more they can address the better they will be.

But you don't want too many mediocre players as fillins. Get the best players you can and build from there. The ship won't be righted overnight.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk