What do the 49ers do with the #1 pick??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

What do the 49ers do with the #1 pick???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Evolution » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:02 am

Demented Avenger wrote:
Evolution wrote:
The niners dont have a full cap because they made some moves in the 90s to attempt to win super bowls, and they are still paying for it in cap now (ppl like Steve Young are still taking up cap room on that team).

Your point about ownership is valid in a place like Minnesota, but SF is stuck until they finish paying off their 90s players.



I believe the majority of the niners' $28-million cap hit comes from players that were cut last year. Garcia alone cost over $10 million in cap space, and Owens cost nearly $5 million.


This is true as well, I did not account for the Garcia and Owens disasters. I know that they are still paying some people deferred salaries, however.
Image
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 3896
Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Vancouver, BC

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:35 am

I think they should just draft Mike Williams, Bring back Steve Young and go to the super bowl next year! ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8041
Joined: 6 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: C-Town, OH - Dawg Bone Country

Postby sweeper193 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:14 pm

i dont feel like reading all this stuff, cus i really dont care about the niners, however there wont be any team taking a qb first over all.. thats just crazy, there arent any TOP QBs in this draft..
sweeper193
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 622
Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:25 pm

sweeper193 wrote:i dont feel like reading all this stuff, cus i really dont care about the niners, however there wont be any team taking a qb first over all.. thats just crazy, there arent any TOP QBs in this draft..

You don't consider Rodgers and Leinart(if he comes out) top QB's? :-? It's not like this year has a very strong draft class.
Anyways...I think the 9ers should trade down
Image
Image
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1906
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Kinnick

Postby Demented Avenger » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:26 pm

sweeper193 wrote:i dont feel like reading all this stuff, cus i really dont care about the niners, however there wont be any team taking a qb first over all.. thats just crazy, there arent any TOP QBs in this draft..


What if a QB is considered the best player available? If the Niners don't trade their pick, they're in such a bad state that they may go the "best available" route instead of based on need, because they "need" in virtually every position.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 653
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Youngstown

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:43 pm

I expect San Fran to trade down, possibly with Cleveland or Oakland, since both of those teams need a franchise QB. I'm starting to think Miami may also do the same since they're over the cap by $20 million.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:49 pm

I don't know about Cleveland...they just spent a bunch of cash on Garcia, and he is supposed to be their answer at QB. Oakland I might understand since Collins is marginally good at best and isn't getting much younger.

How about you Packers fans? You're still looking for a viable understudy for Favre, and you're probably not getting Brees now...why not trade with SF to get a QB for the future? :-? A good player in the secondary or a lineman might be had with a pick in the late 10s - early 20s...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 12045
Joined: 22 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Castle, PA

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:06 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I don't know about Cleveland...they just spent a bunch of cash on Garcia, and he is supposed to be their answer at QB. Oakland I might understand since Collins is marginally good at best and isn't getting much younger.

How about you Packers fans? You're still looking for a viable understudy for Favre, and you're probably not getting Brees now...why not trade with SF to get a QB for the future? :-? A good player in the secondary or a lineman might be had with a pick in the late 10s - early 20s...


Garcia didn't exactly set the world ablaze, plus I hear he wants out of Cleveland. Plus isn't Garcia like 34 years old? It would never be to early to look to the future, especially at that position.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:11 pm

bagobonez wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:I don't know about Cleveland...they just spent a bunch of cash on Garcia, and he is supposed to be their answer at QB. Oakland I might understand since Collins is marginally good at best and isn't getting much younger.

How about you Packers fans? You're still looking for a viable understudy for Favre, and you're probably not getting Brees now...why not trade with SF to get a QB for the future? :-? A good player in the secondary or a lineman might be had with a pick in the late 10s - early 20s...


Garcia didn't exactly set the world ablaze, plus I hear he wants out of Cleveland. Plus isn't Garcia like 34 years old? It would never be to early to look to the future, especially at that position.


Being from Cleveland and everything, I know that Garcia will NOT be back next year if he gets what he wants. He is unhappy about how they "used" him and feels that he can start elsewhere. As for taking a QB, I would honestly love to have Leinart as our QB but I dont want his career to be destroyed b/c he doesnt have an offensive line. I feel Cleveland should trade down along with San Fran
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8041
Joined: 6 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: C-Town, OH - Dawg Bone Country

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:01 am

I agree with most people here that they should trade down if they can. They would definitely benefit by an extra player or two. While most feel this is a weaker class, I feel there is a good bit of depth. Lots of good players will be out there.

They could get a RB if Barlow isn't the answer late in the first or second, some help on the line, even a big play wideout. Even could use some secondary help. There are a number of gaps. So the more they can address the better they will be.

But you don't want too many mediocre players as fillins. Get the best players you can and build from there. The ship won't be righted overnight.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 22027
Joined: 3 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Has Left The Premises.

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 7:01 hours
(and 42 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact