What do the 49ers do with the #1 pick??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What do the 49ers do with the #1 pick???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Evolution » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:49 am

Mercer Boy wrote:I don't know about Cleveland...they just spent a bunch of cash on Garcia, and he is supposed to be their answer at QB. Oakland I might understand since Collins is marginally good at best and isn't getting much younger.

How about you Packers fans? You're still looking for a viable understudy for Favre, and you're probably not getting Brees now...why not trade with SF to get a QB for the future? :-? A good player in the secondary or a lineman might be had with a pick in the late 10s - early 20s...

From what I hear, with a big roster bonus on the way, it is likely you will see Garcia on the market again. I would not be surprised to see Cleveland drafting Leinart or Rodgers, and starting the season with Holcomb at the helm.

Oakland is not in a need for QB from what I've seen. Yes, Collins is aging and Gannon's career is over, but I still think they will give Tuiasosopo a shot before investing a high pick, which could be used to potentially replace Charles Woodson or Jerry Porter, in a QB.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:32 pm

Evolution, didn't you see what proKrastinate wrote earlier?

proKrastinate wrote:
Posted by Soda
for all you "York is cheap" people out there:

I honestly think that there's a good possibility that John York intentionally floated the "fact" that the niners would be in cap hell for the 2005 season in order to keep expectations from the fan base low. This way, if things don't go well next year, some fans will say "well, we weren't supposed to be good again until 2006 anyway" and will keep buying those tickets and those paraphenelia. Let me level with the fans right now:

FACT - as of this instant in time, there is ONE and only ONE committed dead money cap charge on the cap which starts in march, 2005. That hit is the remainder of the dead money owed Zack Bronson, who was cut after June 1st, 2004. That's it. Starting in march of 2005, Jeff Garcia, Junior Bryant, Terrell Owens, and any one else you might have heard that isn't a) on this roster right now and whose going to get cut or b) whose name is zack bronson isn't a dead money cap hit. That's just it.

So, the idea that the niners will be "in cap hell" this offseason simply DOESN'T conform to the reality of what the NFL's collective bargaining agreement dictates the cap rules are. The niners should have GOBS of cap space this offseason, even AFTER the tag for JP is factored into the equation. That's because they had only a bit over a 60 million dollar payroll this year FACTORING in JP's one year franchise tender deal, so even if that deal increases slightly this coming offseason, and the niners tag him again, they should still have about 15 million dollars of free cap space. The idea that the niners will still be hampered tremendously by the cap is an outright lie. Factor in the new TV deals that will kick in within the next two seasons, and there are absolutely no troubles between this team and the cap, for the foreseeable future. If John York simply doesn't want to spend the money, he'll have to find another culprit, the salary cap won't be there to kick around anymore........

So it seems that we DO have the money to make whatever selection we would like. If we did take a QB #1 overall, we could afford him. Though we probably couldn't do much else if we did. Our luck the niners org would want Lienhart, and he comes out for the draft...represented by the Postons. :-P

A tight ass owner should in no way, shape or form be confused with "salary cap hell", a term which is overused. The 49ers have plenty of room there, the Yorks simply won't pay the cash. Do you know that they charge their own players for Gatorade? My personal take on the Yorks is that Denise is still trying to get back at Eddie D and the best way to do it is to run his beloved franchise into the ground. It's not looking like that's going to change anytime soon either. They've for sure rebuffed an offer by Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle, to buy the team. It's also a well known fact that Steve Young and Brent Jones have made overtures about wanting to buy "a team" in the NFL with no success so far. Uggg, enough about this though.

As for the top pick in the draft, I believe that they should trade it for multiple picks, whether this year or next. Ideally, I'd like to see them trade out this year, stock pile picks, probably have another subpar season next year, trade down again and stock pile more and then hit it hard in 2007. I doubt that'll happen though.

The Oline could use some help but don't forget that was another area that was injured all year. They've got horses if they are healthy. I think they should go with a franchise QB if they keep the pick. Personally, I like Rodgers more than Leinart but either would be fine.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:42 pm

No way the Niners should take Leinart or Rodgers. Both are fine QBs and should be successful in the NFL but far from guaranteed. The Niners have too many holes to put too much money in one spot. They should trade down once or even twice and accumulate additional 2nd and/or 3rd round picks and still have a latter half 1st rounder.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:44 pm

The problem was hit on the head when asked who would want to move to #1. I don't know that anyone will want to but it's possible that Miami, Oakland or Cleveland could although all are unlikely in my mind.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby CC » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:50 am

I think the 49ers should move the pick, if they keep it I would go with one of the franchise signal callers in Rodgers or Alex Smith. Right now I would rather have Rodgers.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:48 am

I think the 9ers should continue to suck, and I for one appreciate everything John York has done for that franchise.

I'd give him a big hug and take him out for ice cream.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

I thought salary cap hell was over?

Postby maktarjive » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:48 am

Won't the 49ers be in much better shape cap-wise next year? My impression of the way the cap worked is when you release/trade a player all of the bonus money that would have counted for the remainder of the contract accellerates to count as dead money against this year's cap. That is why they had almost 1/3 of the cap tied up in dead money from the release/trade of Garcia, TO, Hearst, etc. Will they still have dead money this year from players they released before last year? Shouldn't they have more than enough room to sign a first pick??
maktarjive
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Demented Avenger » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:42 pm

awwchrist wrote:I think the 9ers should continue to suck, and I for one appreciate everything John York has done for that franchise.

I'd give him a big hug and take him out for ice cream.

I think John York must be a Bengals fan. He's from Ohio, and the niners beat them twice in Super Bowls.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby s0meguy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:14 pm

They should realize that they are going to be terrible for the next few years. What they should do is start putting in the pieces for a great team in the future, and that team can be built on a franchise QB drafted now.
Ragin Cajuns on year #4
s0meguy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby proKrastinate » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:46 pm

s0meguy wrote:They should realize that they are going to be terrible for the next few years. What they should do is start putting in the pieces for a great team in the future, and that team can be built on a franchise QB drafted now.

not if his when he loses confidence when he gets the crap beat out him. confidence can make the world of a difference in the nfl. im not saying that anything a rookie qb experiences his first year he can't someday shake off, but figuratively speaking a team like the niners right now could tarnish a player for life. i can't imagine what Payton Manning would be able to do behind our o-line. He could do all the play actions he wanted because no one would be worried about the run either.

but i don't think there are as many holes to fill on the team as everyone thinks. good play is contagous. hard work is sometimes too. if we can get some enthusiastic hard playing players, others will follow. as much as I don't like the fact that barlow quit early on in the season because he knew the team and oline were playing terrible, i don't know if I wouldn't have done the same.

You could argue "hes a professional, he gets paid millions, he should put forth 110% every time hes out on the field." guys, were all human. i think we sometimes forget that nfl players get discouraged too and give up. money doesn't buy happiness. there are PLENTY of people working in what you would call the normal "work force" in america, that get paid alot of money for what they do, and they are professionals in their field, but they still half ass it everyday because they hate their job.

if we can get some form of a competitive team next year, my guess would be that alot of our players, Barlow included, will play alot harder than we saw this year. Its like the Atlanta Falcons of last year. Though I know Vick has a lot to do with it, when he came back from the injury it seemed his entire team was revitalized, and hard play and confidence caught fire.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk