The Gophers and the Big Ten - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

The Gophers and the Big Ten

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Gophers and the Big Ten

Postby Bennett4prez » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:24 pm

The Gophers AMAZING running back tandem of Barber and Maroney are returning for the 2005 season. With no major losses this season, where do the Gophers stand for the 2005 season? Another repeat in the Music City Bowl? Outside Rose Bowl contenders? No bowl game? Let's hear 'em.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mustangs989 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:24 pm

4th behind Michigan, Iowa, and Ohio St.
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TTTBone » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:27 pm

Well, I think they're badly coached, and I question the commitment of their owner (the U of M).
I'd find another team B4P (ref: Vikings). :-b
Seriously though, that team beat nobody this year. Their best game was against Michigan, a loss which really started a downward spiral to their season.
"The Tandem" gives them a chance to compete next year, but I just don't see anyone in the Big 10 beating out Michigan next year.
I'd call it very early:
Michigan
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Ohio State

A chance for the Goph's to compete for #2 at best I would think.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:32 pm

TTTBone wrote:Well, I think they're badly coached, and I question the commitment of their owner (the U of M).
I'd find another team B4P (ref: Vikings). :-b
Seriously though, that team beat nobody this year. Their best game was against Michigan, a loss which really started a downward spiral to their season.
"The Tandem" gives them a chance to compete next year, but I just don't see anyone in the Big 10 beating out Michigan next year.
I'd call it very early:
Michigan
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Ohio State

A chance for the Goph's to compete for #2 at best I would think.

You are crazy for putting OSU last! It will be Zwick and T. Smith's second year to go along with Heisman hopefull Teddy Ginn Jr. U are crazy to think that they will be last!
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:38 pm

I like Ted Ginn but I think its a little premature to call him a Heisman hopeful. Everyone knows that the Heisman is largely based on stats and Santonio Holmes will have as good as or better numbers next year. Plus theres no point in calling anyone a Heisman hopeful as Peterson has it in the bag barring injury.

That said.

Michigan
OSU
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:12 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I like Ted Ginn but I think its a little premature to call him a Heisman hopeful. Everyone knows that the Heisman is largely based on stats and Santonio Holmes will have as good as or better numbers next year. Plus theres no point in calling anyone a Heisman hopeful as Peterson has it in the bag barring injury.

That said.

Michigan
OSU
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin

I'm not saying that Ginn will win it automatically or anything. I just am just saying that he has the potential to win the Heisman. Plus you bring up a good point about Holmes. I think he will become a major force at WR. He just looks to me like a Braylon Edwards(possible).
I will give my early rankings but that could all change depending on which high school prospects go where.

OSU(It might been like a homer pick but I honestly believe that)
Mich
Iowa
Minn
Wisconsin
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PackerAttack84 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:57 pm

Michigan
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Ohio State
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:31 pm

I watched the Music City Bowl, and wasn't very impressed with that Marion Barber III guy. I think a lot of the credit he gets is due to his father, but the other RB they have (Maroney?) is the real deal. He's got some moves.

But other than him, I wasn't impressed with Minnesota's team. The QB is pretty bad, the defense wasn't incredibly impressive, and the WR's were decent. Also, you have to remember that the defense was playing against Alabama, who has had about their whole team taken out due to injuries.

Next year, with both backs back, I could see the Gophers at about third overall in the Big 10, but the Tide's future appears to be looking up as well, with very few starters gone and all of their guys back from injury.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:21 pm

Maroney is the franchise, top 5 pick in the 2006 draft and I like him better than Reggie Bush.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:12 pm

I got...

Michigan
Iowa
Minnesota
Ohio State
Wisconsin
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to College Football