Do you think Manning will approach higher numbers next year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you think Manning will approach higher numbers next year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:08 pm

He'll drop. It's almost inevitable that he will produce less next year, just as it was almost inevitable that Priest Holmes wouldn't put up as many TDs this year. Teams adapt, defenses scheme differently, and I think especially after the San Diego and Baltimore games you saw new schemes that were fairly effective at containing Manning.

Next year, teams will use models like those two teams did and Manning won't get as big of numbers. He's always going to be a lock for 4k and 30-40 TDs, and with the massive upheavel in the RB position, he's a steal anywhere in the latter half of the 1st round.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby South Park Cows » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:10 pm

eaglesrule wrote:i hear what you are saying.

but you can't look back. His worth next year is independent of his worth this year in some respects.

say he gets 35-40. he won't approach 50 and that is a big drop off. But still relative to the rest of the possible qb's and the picks in general, an almost sure thing 35 td's is an enitcing prospect.

like I said its no contest to take preist, alexander LT2, probably green etc. But after that, It would be hard to pass up the chance to have manning, then take second tier backs with your next two picks. I don't think it qwould be that unwise, considering that you will have some promotions to first round next year in all possiblity, mcgahee and depending on st. louis -- jackson. you will have a devalued mcallister, fred taylor. julius jones is till out there, westbrook. what to do with martin, barber? chris brown? you get my drift. you could still have someone good if you pick manning. I realize that I digressed, I just think he is a solid back half first round pick, whether he drops off or not. he is stud qb who clearly entered his prime.

Who are you arguing with? :-?
South Park Cows
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby kevster1 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:21 pm

I will take Culpepper over manning next year. Manning will still be great, but I still feel that certain things have to happen to reach 49 Td's. You have to play bad defenses, and your defense has to be bad. I still believe their were alot of very short Td's this year that will more than likely go to Edge next year when the record is not a priorty like it was for the second half of the season.
kevster1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:12 am

Indy's schedule will not likely be as downright easy as it was in 2004. If you don't recognize this season as Manning's career year, you've got to be blind.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby JimmyChoi » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:09 pm

Call me a jerk....but I think Daunte will match Manning's numbers next year......the gap will lessen

Kensat30 wrote:Indy's schedule will not likely be as downright easy as it was in 2004. If you don't recognize this season as Manning's career year, you've got to be blind.
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby brewmaniac » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:23 pm

Peyton Manning is the best player in the league, period. My opinion, anyway.

I predict he'll have a good year next year, maybe 35-40 TD passes. 49 TD's is crazy and will be hard to follow up, consistently, however.

If I get a chance, I'd still take him over Culpepper (Manning doesn't miss games) in the 2nd round.
brewmaniac
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Lung » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:01 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Indy's schedule will not likely be as downright easy as it was in 2004. If you don't recognize this season as Manning's career year, you've got to be blind.

Maybe I'm blind, but I look at Indy's schedule next year and I think it's just as easy.

At home, Indy faces: Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Arizona, St. Louis, San Diego

On the road, Indy faces: Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Baltimore, Cincinnati, San Francisco, Seattle, New England

Manning's numbers might be somewhat subdued against Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England and Jacksonville, but he will have A FIELD DAY on Hou, Ten, Cle, Ari, StL, SDG, Cin, SF, and SEA.

He may not improve on his numbers from this season, but he'll come very close to matching them. You'd be a fool not to draft Manning next year if you have the opportunity.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Re: Do you think Manning will approach higher numbers next year?

Postby mo_sker » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:31 pm

JimmyChoi wrote:another wager has been placed that there is no way that Ill win again with a QB like Green....and that Manning will put up bigger numbers (his keeper) and he's guarenteed that he'll win......;-D

It's not the total he puts up, it's not the average he puts up. It's the standard deviation. Just like any other fantasy player. If Manning throws 100 td's in one game - it's still only one win. Next year's schedule for Indy has them playing Pittsburg and Cleveland at home and Baltimore and New England on the road. Thats four games where his numbers may be down.

If your supporting cast for your QB is better than his - you stand as good a chance as he does.
mo_sker
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:38 am

Agree with the consensus, no way does manning put up those number again. Before this season he was averaging 30 tds a season. Ill say 35 at the most.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:52 am

The Lung wrote:

Maybe I'm blind, but I look at Indy's schedule next year and I think it's just as easy.

At home, Indy faces: Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Arizona, St. Louis, San Diego

On the road, Indy faces: Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Baltimore, Cincinnati, San Francisco, Seattle, New England

Remember the field day Manning had versus Green Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, and Detroit? Five TDs, four TDs, four TDs, six TDs..... I doubt he'll need that many scores to get past NFC West opponents.

Then replace the AFC West with the AFC South? You've got to be kidding if you think there is even a slight comparision between those two conferences defensively.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk