Do you think Manning will approach higher numbers next year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you think Manning will approach higher numbers next year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Lung » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:32 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Remember the field day Manning had versus Green Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, and Detroit? Five TDs, four TDs, four TDs, six TDs..... I doubt he'll need that many scores to get past NFC West opponents.

Why wouldn't he? Will Indy suddenly change their mode of attack and abandon the pass? Will Edgerrin James run for 200 yards and score three touchdowns? Seattle, St. Louis, Arizona and San Francisco all have average offensive attacks and Indy has a poor defense; why wouldn't these matches turn into the same "track meets" that occured this year versus the NFC North?

Kensat30 wrote:Then replace the AFC West with the AFC South? You've got to be kidding if you think there is even a slight comparision between those two conferences defensively.

I think you mean the AFC North (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati) I've already pointed out that the numbers could be somewhat subdued against Baltimore and Pittsburgh. But Manning will light up the Browns and Bengals defense.
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:23 pm

I think it's highly likely that he will not produce the numbers he put up this year. While 4000+ yds seems to be a lock for him every year, the TDs are the bread and butter in fantasy football. While 49 is amazing, even 30-35 is great. The combination of those two, at worst makes him a top 3 QB. There is a possibility that he could surpass that since he did with relative ease this year, would make me still consider taking him in a new draft as high as #3 or #4.

I think he will put up some great numbers next year, and is deserving of a 1st rd pick, especially over 2nd tier RBs. But I wouldn't bet on this year's production at all.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:47 pm

The Lung wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Remember the field day Manning had versus Green Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, and Detroit? Five TDs, four TDs, four TDs, six TDs..... I doubt he'll need that many scores to get past NFC West opponents.

Why wouldn't he? Will Indy suddenly change their mode of attack and abandon the pass? Will Edgerrin James run for 200 yards and score three touchdowns? Seattle, St. Louis, Arizona and San Francisco all have average offensive attacks and Indy has a poor defense; why wouldn't these matches turn into the same "track meets" that occured this year versus the NFC North?

You're right, Manning could very well score 20 TDs against 4 opponents again. Statistically speaking the NFC West may be an easier division for Peyton to exploit. I just highly doubt that Manning puts up these type of numbers on any consistent basis, especially when there is a higher probability in my eyes that the Colts will blow their opponent out early in the game and will simply lean on the run game.

The Lung wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Then replace the AFC West with the AFC South? You've got to be kidding if you think there is even a slight comparision between those two conferences defensively.

I think you mean the AFC North (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati) I've already pointed out that the numbers could be somewhat subdued against Baltimore and Pittsburgh. But Manning will light up the Browns and Bengals defense.

Yes, I was mistaken I meant AFC North.

Of course Baltimore and Pittsburgh should be tough matchups in 2005, but the Bengals and Browns should not be overlooked as well. Typically, the Browns and Bengals have very poor RUN defenses and there is less of a need to pass against them when you're running so successfully. Every single team in the AFC North was rated in the top half of the league in pass defense in 2004.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby The Lung » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:31 pm

I agree with you on all your points, but just because Indy COULD and SHOULD run on all those teams with weak run defenses doesn't mean they will. Indy is a pass first offense, and Manning will beat them with the pass.
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Previous

Return to Football Talk