Do you pay for your fantasy knowledge? (Includes Poll) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you pay for your fantasy knowledge? (Includes Poll)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you use a pay service for draft info (not a magazine)?

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes : 28

Do you pay for your fantasy knowledge? (Includes Poll)

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:43 pm

I've used my brains and my personal research for the last 12 years and I've been in the money a few times, but I have yet to win a Title.

Now I'm considering a pay source for a draft guide. Does anyone here use anything like that, and if so do you have any recommendations on which one to use?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:48 pm

I have never used a magazine. I use free internet sources only. Of course, I'm about in the same boat as you...four years, one win, three seconds and a third.

As you probably know, teams tend to change quite a bit from the draft to the fantasy playoffs. While a draft guide might help you find one guy that may help you (but may also be targeted by others since it's in a magazine), I don't know how helpful they would be in the long haul. Winning a title takes a good team at the end of the year and luck. If you're getting "in the money" by yourself, I'd say you probably know what you're doing but are just coming up short because of either a bad decision for a starter in the playoffs or going up against a team that has hotter players.

I'm not trying to badmouth the mags, but from your message it seems that you already know what you're doing. The magazines don't cost a terribly large sum of money, so you could do it to try it out if you so desire.

I think this place gives as much info and analysis than most magazines would anyway... ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:09 pm

Just wrapped up my 20th year of fantasy football....

and firmly believe that any and all information one needs to be successful can be found within the "free" media....

....especially, online sites such as this

Some of my private league counterparts have invested in "pay" sites.....only to find themselves destroying the delusion that there are "higher" sources of information out there

on a personal note....in twenty years ....I have only won our league four times .....but ....only finished out of the money twice (top four spots pay out)
***A clear conscience is only a clear sign of a horrible memory***
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:59 pm

If you know/follow football, then no reason to pay for info. EVER!! I say this because they're are plenty of people that play fantasy football, but really dont know much about the game or players. If this is you, then yes you may need to invest in sometime of info. Although if you know how to use the internet there is plenty of free info to be found. This site imparticular. I get the sportsline info because my league uses this site to host our games, but the info provided is no better or worse then any otther info, free or paid for, that I've seen. As soon as anysite starts charging, ie. espn.com, fantasyfootballasylum.com, I move on! Will do the same if this site ever starts charging. I've listen to radio shows, read the internet, and read fantasy articles that sometimes show up in the newspaper. You know what? These people are every bit as right and wrong as I've been. I'm sure many others which use this site and KNOW football can probably same that they've had the same experiences. Trust theses so called "experts" that claim that their info is for "entertainment purposes only". They're speaking the truth!
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:06 pm

One last thing in regards to the draft magazines. I've thumbed through a few that my opponents have brought to the draft party. These things are a complete waste of money! They're usually rediculously outdated. One still had Ricky Williams as a top ten draft pick. This is the best example I can think of, but there were others! Listing players as playing for the team that they were on last year, but not this year. I had to keep from laughing that these guys were actually putting their teams faith in these things. Needless to say of 3 teams that each had a different mag, none of them made the playoffs and 2 of them were the 2 worst teams in the league!
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PackerAttack84 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:10 pm

I can understand buying a $5 fantasy football magazine at your local general store, but I'm not going to pay $20 for fantasy info off the internet. Plus, if you have a draft that's not on the computer that knowledge is quite pointless anyway. For my drafts I use free media sources.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:13 pm

God no. I might buy a FF Mag just for something to read, but never to help me draft. You've got everything you need here at the Cafe.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:59 am

All right, y'all have convinced me. No paying for info. I've done pretty well so far without it, so why start now?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Bennett4prez » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:13 pm

I rebute. thehuddle.com has proven to be a great reference for me. I don't use it for my college information (I follow college sports far more than NFL, so there really isn't a need.). However, for in-season information, some pay sites do a great job of finding nobodys that will be somebodys. (I successfully drafted Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin and completed post-draft trades that sent me Curtis Martin, Isaac Bruce and Drew Brees for Matt Hassellbeck, Kevan Barlow.) Trust me, these guys do their research.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby roninmedia » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:44 pm

Finished up my 3rd year of fantasy football. Have had enough success without magazines and pay sites. I think if you are a football fan, you easily have an opportunity to do well without the paid help.

7 leagues: 6 playoff appearances, 1 super bowl, 5 super-bowl runner up, 1 fifth place, 2 scoring titles.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk