2005 Draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to San Francisco 49ers

2005 Draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

2005 Draft

Postby ike301 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:04 pm

Well, at 2-14, it's safe to say that SF will get first draft pick.

What position do you think the Niner's need? Ok, that's a loaded question. Which position do you think we need to acquire using first pick?

Personally, I think we need a QB. What do you thin of the newly entered Alex Smith of Utah?

Possible? Or insane?
Post your link, I will answer yours to the best of my knowledge.
ike301
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:20 pm

Insane...sorry. :-)

If you haven't seen it, there is a thread in Football Leftovers about the Niners pick.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=128960

Seems like most feel (as I do) that it's best for them to trade down and try to fill holes in multiple positions. A QB can't save a team if he's on the ground every time he tries to pass. Look at the top passing QB's in the league. They were sacked very few times. If the line can't protect the QB when he tries to pass and make holes for the running game, even the best players will have a tough time doing anything.

We need a good offensive lineman and an impact secondary player. These things will help the team more than a new QB in my opinion.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby water boy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:12 am

i would also like them to trade the pick,if leinart would have went to the NFL i would have wanted them to pick him.
water boy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:11 am

Agreed, trading down seems like a good plan. It'll be interesting to see which teams will be interested in the #1; finding a match might not be so easy this year.

Early days yet, though...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby water boy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:38 pm

i would try to trade with dallas see if you could get there 2 -1 picks
water boy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:16 pm

I think the 49ers have far more holes to fill than just QB. I also don't necessarily think that Leinart was the right guy for our team. I could be wrong, but that's just my feeling.

Right now, two schools of thought could be out there. The first is, take the best player that there is in a pretty weak draft. Not bad, you'll probably get a great lineman of some sort. The other thought would be to trade out and try and stockpile future picks, especially for next year as odds are that they will be picking pretty high again. I'd like to see them trade out of #1.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:44 pm

MadScott wrote:I think the 49ers have far more holes to fill than just QB. I also don't necessarily think that Leinart was the right guy for our team. I could be wrong, but that's just my feeling.

Right now, two schools of thought could be out there. The first is, take the best player that there is in a pretty weak draft. Not bad, you'll probably get a great lineman of some sort. The other thought would be to trade out and try and stockpile future picks, especially for next year as odds are that they will be picking pretty high again. I'd like to see them trade out of #1.

Next years draft (2006), by all accounts, should be much stronger. The Niners would probably be well served by trading down this year and also securing picks for the 2006 draft. It's not like they're going to solve their problems with the #1 this year. You're probably looking at a 3-5 year process before they could realistically mount a challenge again.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:16 pm

I would love to trade down to the 3rd pick with the Browns and pickup an additional pick. Cleveland may want to leapfrog Miami to get the QB of their choice and that would allow us to choose from the best player available and not feel like we wasted the #1 overall pick.

Cornerback looks like the way to go in this draft for us. Either Pacman or Rolle would be a nice addition, and it would be great if we could move down to the 3-7 range and get a 3rd rounder in return. Mike Rumph would make a decent safety and the return of Ahmed Plummer would really help our secondary be less of a problem than the 2004 "swiss cheese" unit.

Healthy Julian Peterson, revamped secondary, new coaching staff, could see immediate improvements over 2004. Jeremy Newberry's return really helps the offense as well. I don't think we're so far away from being a .500 team as everyone thinks.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Demented Avenger » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:11 am

I agree, kensat, with better coaching and less injuries, we could've gone .500 LAST year.

I am a proponent of picking Rodgers #1 overall. I believe he has franchise potential. I might feel different if there were a few teams who wanted to trade up to #1, but sadly I don't see that happening, and so we wouldn't get very good value for the pick.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:43 pm

I agree with the less injuries thing DA, but they were coached up about as well as they could have been. I watched all of the games this year and went to a few to boot and never once did I see that team throw in the towel or not try out there. Believe it or not, I think that they were listening and responding to Erickson. Donahue was a different story.

I too agree Kensat that it would be nice to trade of the top spot and grab some extra, or at least "a" extra pick in the draft or in next year's. CB is the deepest and arguably the most talented spot in the draft this year. Plummer with a Rolle would give you two decent guys back there. I too have believed from the day that he was drafted that Rumph would make a damn decent safety, at least much better than his ability to play the CB slot. He just doesn't seem to have the instinct to play there but he is a hitter for sure.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to San Francisco 49ers