Haslett wants more power - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Haslett wants more power

Moderator: Football Moderators

Haslett wants more power

Postby Flux » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:13 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-saintshaslettseeking&prov=fanball&type=lgns wrote:News
Saints' head coach Jim Haslett not only expects to retain his job through next season, he also intends to ask team owner Tom Benson for more power, according to ESPN reporter Len Pasquarelli. Haslett has been voicing his frustrations over what he perceives as a lack of support from Saints' general manager Mickey Loomis, and plans to fight for more power within the organization.

Views
Just a few weeks ago, Haslett appeared to be on his way out of New Orleans. However, he rallied the team to an 8-8 record and led them to a four-game winning streak to close the season, which nearly resulted in a playoff berth. Apparently, Benson is content with mediocrity and will stick with Haslett next season, although it will be interesting to see who wins this power struggle.

Im going to cry if he gets more power. I have Deuce in my money keeper league and Haslett, the play calling, and A. Brooks absolutely kill Deuce's value. Not to mention the most pathetic defense I have ever seen.

Something needs to change in NO, Haslett obviously isnt the answer there, what the heck are they thinking? ;-7

perhaps Ill keep Tatum Bell over Deuce :~( (or not)
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joshyboy72 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:27 pm

oh lord this is horrible, he's been ruining Deuce and making Brooks look worse by putting too much pressure on him. Why couldn't we just lose those last 4 games, not make the playoffs, and get rid of Haslett and have a nice draft spot in the top 10. Now, at 8-8, we will be stuck with Haslett for at least one more year, didn't make the playoffs, and will be drafting somewhere around the 16th pick vicinity. :-P What a waste.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:12 pm

Note to self........DO Not draft any saints if Haslett has more power. Any ways how could he get any more power than not being canned all year???!!!

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:16 pm

pretty bold for a guy who has been on the hot seat all season to ask for more power. either bold or stupid...i havent decided which yet.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:22 pm

portisfan24 wrote:pretty bold for a guy who has been on the hot seat all season to ask for more power. either bold or stupid...i havent decided which yet.

is it possible he wants out but does not want to quit and so is doing everything possible to p*** off the management?
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TTTBone » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:37 pm

matmat wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:pretty bold for a guy who has been on the hot seat all season to ask for more power. either bold or stupid...i havent decided which yet.

is it possible he wants out but does not want to quit and so is doing everything possible to p*** off the management?

Get fired, get paid to go fishing (ala Denny Green)?
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:27 pm

Yeah is trying to force the issue. The issue of being let go. He is not going to quit and forfeit his salary. Instead he is trying to force the Saints Front Office into punting him out of the Bayou Phat Check included.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Evolution » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:49 am

Why would you want to "resign" as an NFL coach? He is definitely trying to get canned to keep that nice salary.

In my opinion there really should not be any coaches who have GM power as well. I've yet to see anything that it accomplishes besides the coach getting double salary.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:15 am

I agree there...I mean, isn't coaching hard enough to do without worrying about who you're going to hire also? Haslett is definitely being a dufus here. I don't care that he finished out the year with a streak - his team was garbage most of the year, and over the past few years he has not helped that team utilize the talent they have for an entire season. I don't think the stigma of playing for/owning a team that had a tough time even getting into the playoffs in year's previous should help him keep his job. They need to try a different coach that can motivate and help the players to stop making the careless and stupid mistakes that they always seem to make during games.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:00 am

Mercer Boy wrote:I agree there...I mean, isn't coaching hard enough to do without worrying about who you're going to hire also? Haslett is definitely being a dufus here. I don't care that he finished out the year with a streak - his team was garbage most of the year, and over the past few years he has not helped that team utilize the talent they have for an entire season. I don't think the stigma of playing for/owning a team that had a tough time even getting into the playoffs in year's previous should help him keep his job. They need to try a different coach that can motivate and help the players to stop making the careless and stupid mistakes that they always seem to make during games.

Yep... hopefully they can take Holmgren off our hands for us.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk