Offensive Coordinators - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Offensive Coordinators

Moderator: Football Moderators

Offensive Coordinators

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:03 pm

This has to be one of the most overpraised and ocercritisized job in all of sports. The good ones are looked at for head coaching jobs whenever a vacancy appears (see Weis). But, have a poor season, and you are out the door (at least six O.C.'s are expected to leave. Not including Patriots (Notre Dame) and Lions (retirement) losing their coordinators).

Take a look at Vikings' Offensive Coordinator, Scott Linehan. A month ago he was assumed to be one of the best in the NFL. Now? His contract is up and the Vikings will likely not sign him to a new deal.

So, what's the deal? Are offensive coordinators really that big of a deal?
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:38 pm

Are they a big deal? Depends. If an OC is given good personnel but fails to deliver, then he should be canned. Other times he is just a scapegoat. Why are the Vikes getting rid of Linehan? They have a very good offense it looks like.

The Bears fired their OC, Terry Shea, yesterday by the way. In his case his players (with the exception of TJones, Thomas and maybe Wade) all played like crap so he is something of a scapegoat. Personally I am happy to see him go though, his offensive schemes and playcalling were very suspect.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:54 pm

well when your team is predicated on offense, and yet has medicore win totals the past few years, what do you expect?

yea, it is "unfair" because the defense sucks -- but then again, that is they way the team strategically orgnazied itself. within those constraints you eventually gotta make things happen I guess.

Its not totally fair, but life isn't totally fair. You can't tease out every variable. Eventually -- the Vikes (or whomever else) are a primarily offensive team, and that offenseive team isn't winning that much.

I see your side, but on the other hand, the buck has to stop somewhere.

I think it depends as well on the role. Like with the Eagles, childress doesn't make the game day calls, Reid does. So as a coordinator, he is relatively less important than Jimmy Johnson. But on other teams, probably like the Vikings (does tice do the d?) that dynamic is reversed.

I think OC is one of those positions that are what you make of it. It could be under or overappreciated depending on team.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby UNDEFEATED » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:53 pm

How about the jets OC. I think he is mostly to blame for the lame J-e-t-s offense, not Chad Penny.

Some of these OC's need to be less conservative at times.

Much like the Houston Texans. They became dependant on the dump pass to DDavis and forgot about the deep ball. Rendering Carr, A Johnson, and the rest of the passing offense useless.

There are a few other teams out there with OC's who will not get fired but need to open their eyes and their playbooks.

And regarding the OC's as scapegoats comments. Very true and the same thing goes for DC's like the GB guy who is now leading the Atlanta Defense.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JimmyChoi » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:11 pm

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets head coach Herman Edwards met with offensive coordinator Paul Hackett Monday, Jan. 5, and Hackett will return to the team next season. He did, however, apparently agree to allow Edwards to have more input on offense.

Paul Hackett can bite my scrotum......he refuses to put Penny in the shotgun ....even though that was his bread and butter at Marshall.....

UNDEFEATED wrote:How about the jets OC. I think he is mostly to blame for the lame J-e-t-s offense, not Chad Penny.

Some of these OC's need to be less conservative at times.

JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TTTBone » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:26 pm

Well, I think there're simply good coaches and bad coaches regardless of position title. You can't be a good offensive coordinator without fully understanding the intricacies of defensive scheme, and visa verse.
Some Viking examples for you B4P...

Tony Dungy - Defensive Guru for the Vikings.
Led the Vikings to the top rated defense in 1993.
Where is he now?
Leading a leaky (at best) defense, but running perhaps one of the best offensive teams ever.

Brian Billick - Offensive Guru for the Vikings.
Led the Vikings to the top rated offense in 1998.
Where is he now?
Leading an inept (at best) offense, but running perhaps one of the best defensive teams ever.

You work with what you have, and good coaches can work both sides of the line, regardless of personnel.

Back to the question...
Coordinators, per se, are important. But, for the most part, the head coach and management ultimately design the direction of the team.

However, those with more football knowledge than us, usually deem a few coordinators worthy of head coching status every year. Some will pan out, and some will "bite it".
Others, such as Dungy and Billick will succeed, but in ways we never anticipated.

Of course this all does nothing towards explaining how Dave Wannstedt managed surviving 11 freakin' years as a head coach. :-?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Return to Football Talk