Leslie Frazier (D-Coordinator) Fired Today - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cincinnati Bengals

Leslie Frazier (D-Coordinator) Fired Today

Moderator: Football Moderators

Leslie Frazier (D-Coordinator) Fired Today

Postby DUKE » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:05 pm

Bengals fire defensive coordinator Frazier
Wednesday January 5, 2005 12:57PM

CINCINNATI (AP) -- The Bengals fired defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier on Wednesday, the first change to coach Marvin Lewis' staff since their 8-8 finish.

Frazier was defensive coordinator in Lewis' first two seasons, when the defense's inability to stop the run was a glaring problem. Lewis said Monday that he expected all of his coordinators back next season.

However, Lewis announced Wednesday that he had decided not to offer Frazier a contract extension.

"I credit Leslie for his part in leading the defense to where it is today," Lewis said in a statement. "But I see this as the time to move to another stage in our team's evolution."

Lewis declined further comment.

Lewis came to Cincinnati with a reputation for defense -- he coordinated the unit that helped Baltimore win the Super Bowl in the 2000 season -- but the Bengals have struggled to stop opponents in his two seasons as head coach. They finished 28th in defense in 2003, and were 19th last season.

A rift between Lewis and Frazier surfaced during a 34-17 loss to Cleveland that left the Bengals 1-4. Lewis started calling some defensive plays during the game because of the poor performance. Lewis went back to letting Frazier run the unit after that game.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dave416 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:54 pm

Not sure what to think about this. Our defense didn't do too well with him at the helm, but it was looking up. I guess I will reserve judgment for this until I see what his replacement does. It is interesting that Lewis said that all of the coordinators would be kept on Monday, and then he goes on to can Frazier just two days later.
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby DUKE » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:29 am

dave416 wrote: It is interesting that Lewis said that all of the coordinators would be kept on Monday, and then he goes on to can Frazier just two days later.

I agree. When I heard of the firing, I immediately thought about his press conference where he said that the staff would remain in tact. A more apropriate answer (in the press conference) would have been "no comment."

I guess it looks as if Chuck Bresnahan might slide into the D Coordinator job.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Flux » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:06 am

Wow, that is a surprise.

Perhaps Marvin wants to be the HC and DC :-o

Our defense, wasnt stellar, but we were pretty good in the red zone, and were definitely getting better as the year went on. Add that to all our injuries and you really couldnt expect more than what they did.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Cincinnati Bengals