Leinart the Pro - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Leinart the Pro

Moderator: Football Moderators

Leinart the Pro

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:39 pm

NFL Live just did a pick 'em type thing where they said as an NFL GM they'd end up taking Matt Leinart over just about any QB taken in the draft the last 3 years. Leinart is also seen by most as a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft if he leaves school early.

My question is simply, why? Here me out.

Granted, Leinart has SUPERB decision making skills and that big build that NFL Scouts seem to love, but personally I don't see the physical tools that NFL Scouts seem to covet over anything (albeit sometimes irresponsibly).

Now, granted I have only seen about 3 or 4 USC games this year, but I have not once EVER seen Leinart throw a bullet. He has amazing touch, but EVERY throw he makes is a touch pass. Wasn't this what knocked guys like Danny Weurffel into the second day of the draft?

A good example is in the OU game. On the play before the one handed catch by the TE, he threw a deep out to the TE. The TE had a few steps on the guy, so you'd think most QB's would fire it in there. But he didn't, he floated it and it ended up making the TE make an awkward catch on the play.

On NFL Live they kept making mention to his pinpoint accuracy. He has a very accurate deep ball, but doesn't seem to underneath that. Even in his highlight game against OU, there were tons of errant passes in which he was saved by great WR's. The aforementioned TE catch is a simple example. Beyond that, the TD he threw to the tightend was a seam route thrown about 2 yards outside to the wrong shoulder, afterwhich the TE made a ridiculous spinning one-handed catch. Later, on the TD to Steve Smith on 3rd and goal from the 5 OU vacated the middle of the field and the line spread out leaving a HUGE passing lane, and Leinart missed the throw on a simple 5 yard slant afterwhich Smith made a great catch falling down on a ball thrown behind him.

It seems to me like he has a great ability to find his super athletic WR's, and throw it up to them and let them make plays. I don't usually see him threading it in between the coverage though.

Is it just the case that Leinart has a great arm and just chooses not to use it or something?

I dunno, he just reminds me A LOT of a certain heisman trophy winning, national championship team leading QB from 1996 that had great decision making, great touch, an accurate deep ball, a weak arm, and a group of supremely gifted WR's in a strong system that produced a 4th round QB that never amounted to anything in the NFL...

Am I the only one?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:50 pm

I don't think he will be a bust of Wuerffel-status but he will not be everything everyone has hyped him up to be. He kind of seems like Brady to me, a good QB on a great team but a lousy QB on a lousy team. Seeing as USC probably has more talent on its roster than the 49ers if he goes there I think he will struggle. Steve Smith and Byrd made 3 of his TDs all by themselves.

If it were up to me, I'd take Aaron Rodgers any day of the week.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to College Football