Let the Rebuilding Begin! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Let the Rebuilding Begin!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Let the Rebuilding Begin!

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:20 pm

well the 49ers went all out, firing Erickson and the GM Donahue.

Article

anyone think this changes what they do on draft day?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:28 pm

I don't think so. They'll still suck hjust as much as they do now, for their new coach and GM will probably be the same as they are now.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TTTBone » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:54 pm

This is Barlow's year.

Monty Python wrote:...run away... run away!!!!

:-b
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:51 pm

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

You know, ever since he got hired, I knew it would be a disaster. They tell you that they were going to choose either this guy or this guy, and then all of a sudden, they hire Erickson...yeah, they were sure about their decision. ;-7

Someone who has never had a winning NFL season is not my idea of a coach who can pull a franchise from the brink of death. I would have rather had some random dude (a'la Lawrence Frank for the Nets) come in and try to make the team play together as a cohesive group. At least then you wouldn't have any expectations as you might with a person with previous NFL experience.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Ironhorse75 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:56 pm

The root of it all is still there! Down with York!
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby CC » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:22 pm

Erickson is probably thrilled to bits, that bitch-ass has been trying to get fired for months.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:36 pm

With the players on that roster right now, it would not matter if Vince Lombardi himself coached the team...
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mtarail » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:19 am

Thank god. ;-D

They say that an alcoholic can't help himself until he realizes that he has a problem. Well, at least York has acknowledged that Erickson and Donohue deserve some blame for the downfall of this franchise.

Now, if the fans could fire York like York fired Erickson, the world would be perfect. ;-)

All I ask now is that we get a decent coach and that we don't blow our #1 pick on some chump like Cedric Benson.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Demented Avenger » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:15 am

I heard a rumor that Ozzie Newsome's name is being tossed around.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:21 pm

I've got to throw in my .02 on this whole mess.

The firing that I agreed with wholeheartedly was....Donahue's. I was a big Donahue fan when he was brought on board initially. He had the time to learn the business from the greatest mind in this generation, Bill Walsh. It seemed that he grasped the business and would make a fine choice initially. It became apparent quickly though that he lacks an eye for talent. The biggest indicator of that was last season when the 49ers played the Ravens near season's end. Apparently, before the game started, Donahue shook hands and met some of the personnel people from the Ravens. During this exchange, both team's representatives were talking about their respective teams and possible additons that they were looking to make in the offseason. When asked about the 49ers, Donahue stated that he didn't plan to make any offseason moves with the 49ers as they were already very close to being in contention, even if they lost TO. Warning lights went off in my mind right there and of course the rest is history.

Erickson is a different story. I didn't like the hire in the first place and thought he was the wrong person for the job from the get-go. That being said, the team's record this year is not a very accurate reflection on his coaching. Injuries to key personnel are too numerous to mention and of course there were all of the key personnel losses to boot. That being said, I did not see one game this year that he overmatched 49ers laid down and didn't try and compete with anyone. The same can't be said in Cleveland for instance. I think that deserves some credit and for that reason alone I think that he warranted another year. That being said, there was no way he was going to win his very open tug-of-war with the Yorks.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk