Delhomme - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Delhomme

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:10 pm

Nilmerf wrote:The fact that some of you are considering him for your second QB shows how really overlooked he is. He was 5th or 6th in fantasy scoring this year, with upside for next year as well. Unless you're in like a 4 team league, there's no reason why he shouldn't be a #1 QB.

I draft in a 20 year old private league...with only 8 members....

I'm quite aware of how Delhomme finished statisticly...and recognize that he is quite worthy of starting for a majority of fantasy teams....in any league

but IMO there are several factors that will allow Jake to "slip" a bit

1) the 2004 owner of Delhomme in our league finished 7th and never really "talked up" any of his players
2) Panthers finished out of the play-offs (thus removing Jake from the current spotlight)
3) a majority of our league owners "over invest" in the "gotta grab quality RB's" theory
4) Jake's slow start in 2004 and effect upon his overall stats will dilute the draft perception of 2005.....with many owners forgetting how well he finished
5) some owners still feel Carolina will try to put more emphasis on the run next year ....with Foster and Davis returning

Considering that we all draft against the perceptions and psychological trends of fellow league members....I feel that I may be able to "steal" Delhomme versus most of my league....(the only exception being the owner who had Jake last year)
***A clear conscience is only a clear sign of a horrible memory***
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football
Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:18 pm

Reasons to worry about Delhomme's 2005 performance:

#1- Mushin Muhammad needs to be resigned to the team otherwise he will be lost to free agency. Muhammad is due a $10 million dollar roster bonus in the spring of 2005, so the Panther's are virtually forced into cutting him. Whether or not he will be resigned remains to be seen.

Muhammad has also stated that he wants to be paid as a #1 WR in years past, and this year he backed that contention up with a huge statline. He's also getting up there in age, it will be interesting to see what develops and if Carolina will pony up the kind of contract he wants.

#2- Steve Smith is coming back from a very serious injury. In 2003 Smith established himself as a playmaker who could lead his team in receiving. It's yet to be seen if that season was a fluke and if it wasn't, whether or not he will be the same player post injury. A lot of the plays he made in 2003 relied on his amazing speed and jumping ability... he's one of those small, speedy WRs. Will his broken leg ever return to normal or will it linger and affect his game?
-----
With their #1 and #2 WRs in doubt for 2005, there could be a chance that Carolina relies on 2nd year player Keary Colbert for the bulk of their receiving stats next season. Colbert showed a lot of promise in 2005, but he is by no means an experienced and consistent player at the WR position. Ricky Proehl the #4 WR on the team is mulling retirement and that could really leave the Panther's in desperate need of some veterans.

If all the pieces fall into place for Carolina, Delhomme could very well put up 30+ TD passes next season in addition to 4,000 yards if he can get back some WR threats. If things don't work out, Delhomme may be passing to a lot of no-name guys with the corresponding no-name talent. Without Muhammad this season, Delhomme is your ordinary 20 TD/ 15 INT guy out there...
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Carolina Panthers 2005 Schedule

Postby The Lung » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:52 pm

Carolina Panthers 2005 Schedule:

At home: Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Minnesota, New England, N.Y. Jets, Dallas

Away: Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Miami, Arizona

I like his chances next year. Assuming defensive strengths don't swing wildly, I think Delhomme could post awesome numbers against Atl, NO, TB, (twice each) GB, Minn, Dallas, Chi, Det, and Arizona, and subdued numbers against only NE, Jets, Buffalo and Miami.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:34 am

Kensat30 wrote:#2- Steve Smith is coming back from a very serious injury. In 2003 Smith established himself as a playmaker who could lead his team in receiving. It's yet to be seen if that season was a fluke and if it wasn't, whether or not he will be the same player post injury. A lot of the plays he made in 2003 relied on his amazing speed and jumping ability... he's one of those small, speedy WRs. Will his broken leg ever return to normal or will it linger and affect his game?

A broken fibula generally is not a very severe injury, you have to let it heal up but then with rehab you should be 100% again. Have you heard something about Smith's injury that says it's more severe?
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:56 am

It will be interesting to see if Carolina ponies up and pays Muhsin what he earned this year. Leading the league in yardage and TDs is quite an accomplishment.

But, I expect that that let him go. They can't afford to pay two #1 WRs and have their top 2 backs hurt. I still have a crazy feeling Muhsin ends up in Atlanta, and that hurts Delhomme's value in my opinion. Colbert will get pushed into the #2 spot which he showed he has potential to be very good, but would he be ready for it. Probably, since he did it most of the year this year.

If Muhsin stays though, I expect Delhomme to have another very solid year. Regardless, I expect him to be drafted a bit earlier than he was last year.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Goatwhacker wrote: Have you heard something about Smith's injury that says it's more severe?

in addition to a broken bone, he was said to have seriously messed up ligaments.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:48 pm

matmat wrote:
Goatwhacker wrote: Have you heard something about Smith's injury that says it's more severe?

in addition to a broken bone, he was said to have seriously messed up ligaments.

Yes, in addition to the broken bone(which was severe enough that he heard a "crack" when the injury occured, OUCH) Smith damaged soft tissue around the break and tore a ligament in his foot and ankle.

News: According to the Charlotte Observer, Steve Smith (leg) is uncertain about his potential return this season. "I don't know," says Smith. "I want to be smart about it. It's not like I just got a break. It's beyond a break."

Analysis: Smith suffered more than just a broken leg in Week 1. He also suffered soft tissue damage around the break, and doctors used staples to re-attach at least one ligament in his ankle.

This guy dissappeared from peoples' radar screens as soon as he was lost for the season (after week 1 mind you). At this point in time, (1/04/05) he is STILL not expected to be running at all until at least "another month or so". Kinda disturbing for an injury that was supposed to last "8-10 weeks".

September 28, 2004 11:11 AM ET
Panthers: Smith to miss 10 more weeks
The News
Smith said recently the best-case scenario would be a mid-December return. "We haven't set any dates, but it's going to be a while," Smith said. "If it was just waiting for the bone to be healed, it wouldn't be a problem. But the <b>ligament damage</b> is what's going to keep us out."
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:00 pm

OK, thanks Kensat and Matmat. Yeah the ligaments are a whole different ballgame, the injury will probably slow him down.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Lung » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:25 am

Kensat30 wrote:Ricky Proehl the #4 WR on the team is mulling retirement and that could really leave the Panther's in desperate need of some veterans.

While it's dubious whether this even merits fantasy news, Fanball seems to be confirming Proehl's retirement:

Panthers: Proehl expected to retire

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Monday, January 31, 2005

News
Panthers' wide receiver Ricky Proehl is expected to announce his retirement during the offseason, according to the Rock Hill Herald. The 15-year veteran said he intended to wait a few weeks after the season before making a decision on his future. Proehl finished the year with 34 receptions for 497 yards and no scores.

Views
No official announcement has been made, but there's a very good chance that Proehl has played his final game. Even if he surprises everyone by returning this year, there's no guarantee that he will play for the Panthers, who already have Steve Smith and Keary Colbert, and are in the process of renegotiating Muhsin Muhammad's contract.
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:45 am

Carolina won't be able to pay Muhammed especially with Baltimore, the Vikes if they deal Moss and others in the mix. They'll get priced out and Moose has made it no secret that he's going where the money is. So you have to assume it will be Smith and Colbert next year which is pretty good if Smith returns to form quickly. Colbert won't be totally reliable as a #2 but this year's experience really helped him out and his yardage was very good. I really think Jake will be a steal and put up near #1 if not #1 numbers. I'm not sure that the running game will be too much of a factor unless Foster stays healthy and becomes one of the better backs in the league.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk