Cafe Betting Game Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cafe Betting Game Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cafe Betting Game Discussion

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:56 pm

The weekly lock worked very well this year and it did show us who has an eye for wagering (btw - congrats to the impressive knowledge shown by Lush, joester, Tyr, Evolution and anybody else that I am overlooking). Interest did seem to die down halfway through the season.

My goal is not to fashion a game so much as to have people make selections and explain their picks.

With this in mind here is my proposal for next year, and I would appreciate any feedback, comments and suggestions:

Once again do the weekly lock but allow participants to wager a number of units. You would start with 3 units and would be allowed to wager from 1-3 units on your weekly lock depending on how confident you felt in your selection. If you wager 3 units and lost, those three units would be subtracted from your running totals. If you fell to zero, you would be given one unit. If you had more than 3 units you would still be limited to a weekly max of 3 (remember we are not here to encourage gambling).

The reasoning is that people would have to think about how confident they are in an outcome and if they wagered 1 or 3 units they would feel compelled to explain why they lacked confidence or were extra confident in their selection.

Tyr has graciously offered to keep track of the wagers and units (as we know, the bookkeeping is not my strong suit).

Thoughts?

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lushcrush » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:21 pm

I agree ... I've always thought of this forum as more informational than just being a game. The wealth of knowledge here is money in your pocket if we can just keep people talking.
Mook, you've done a great job - thanks for putting in the time.
;-D
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Evolution » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:14 pm

I have to second Lush in congratulating you Mook. I know it is hard work keeping track of these things plus finding lines in a timely manner. Props for keeping the thing going. ;-D

I like the idea of the "wager" suggestion. I've been for implementing more choices, because it will help people who take the bigger packages in betting (the pick 5 games, lose 1 and your done type-thing). We could even have a separate thread where posters put their views for every game of the week or something. If Tyr needs help with the bookkeeping, I'll be happy to volunteer.

Keep up the good work! ;-D
Last edited by Evolution on Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:15 pm

Solid, this will be even better next year. ;-D
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tyr » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:43 am

Thanks for getting the forum opened, Mook, and great job to all of our fantasy bettors that stuck with it to the end. There's some deffinate talent here, as would be expected. I hope to see you all continue your betting through the playoffs, and again next year. Huge props to Lush for sticking with his SD and riding on them through win after win ;-D

I'll be creating a simple sql database to keep track of all of the numbers for us. I might play around a little bit with xml to put up a small searchable page with sortable statistics on the website I'll be opening over the offseason as well (not to get off track, but it's planned to be an NFL Fantasy football spoof site.. picture Bang! Cartoons: The Site, complete with a team of killer "reporters"!).

If there's any interest in "miscellaneous" information, not just results, I'd be happy to provide an online spreadsheet with all of the data available including the bettor's comments, along with the xml page.
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:43 am

Why the hell havent I been here all year... shitty man.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:21 am

Well, I started strong and managed to give up 4 games during the season to go even and predict worse than "Smooth" Jimmy Apollo (who was right 52% of the time).

This unit idea is neat...maybe I can get myself more ahead by picking surer bets with more points and go small when I have no idea. :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dave416 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:32 pm

"Smooth" Jimmy Apollo has won me many a bet with his knowledge.

Jimmy: The Denver/New England game is too close to call.

Homer: Oh.

Jimmy: But if you are one those people who just has to bet, ummmm....Denver.

Homer: All right! (Bets $50 on Denver)

Announcer: At the end of seven seconds of play, New England leads, 7-0.

Classic.

That aside, I will definitely be around here next year.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby mad_llama » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:45 pm

Great idea, I'll definitely be around more next year. Should have checked it out last week before I put money on the Vikings but the tempation was too great. Wish I could have that click back.
mad_llama
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:51 pm

Sounds like a great idea for next season. This should make things very interesting... Git er done!
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk