Cafe Betting Game Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cafe Betting Game Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

New Game this year?????

Postby BGbootha » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:48 am

Hey boys, many of you remember a few of us coming in to this forum and posting our 'sure pick of the week' and then keeping a running toll of our records.

Well I was just thinking, instead of keeping a running total of our records, how hard would it be to have each person who wanted to participate start off with like $1000 fake money and see who has the most at the end of the season. This way if one week we are picking a game we dont' feel real strong about we can bet 50 other weeks we can bet more.

Just a thought to spice up the competition in here a little.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:25 pm

Already thinking along the same lines.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=129079

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:25 pm

bump

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:25 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun to me! ;-D I doubt menyak will mind having a "non-sanctioned" Cafe game in here. }:-)

Maybe we should all come up with some ground rules. Should we go with these "units" that you guys always talk about? Maybe we'll say you have to bet like 1 to 5 units each week. Make the units $50 or $100...whatever is better.

If you go broke, then you can "buy back in" for maybe half the amount you started with or something. :-?

Then, for the people who start but don't keep doing it, we'll have a computer randomly pick a line for them and make them spend 1 unit. That way no one can get away with having a high score and not betting.

Any (or all) of those sound good?

(I merged the two threads together and renamed it...that way people know what we're discussing! }:-) )
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:39 pm

Count me in.

I like this idea:
Maybe we should all come up with some ground rules. Should we go with these "units" that you guys always talk about? Maybe we'll say you have to bet like 1 to 5 units each week. Make the units $50 or $100...whatever is better.

If you go broke, then you can "buy back in" for maybe half the amount you started with or something.

;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby kashikis » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:48 pm

I think he wants to stay away from the money aspect.

Overall I popped in a few times last year but I think I'm going to get more active in this this year.

I already right up explanations to a point for Pick3, although I don't think anyone actually reads them :-/
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:51 pm

yeah I really like the idea of using some sort of unit betting, we can easily make the units worth 50 or whatever. Also for the sake of the game and scoring I think we should just pay even money. not the 110 that most places pay. that would just make it tougher.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:22 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Maybe we should all come up with some ground rules. Should we go with these "units" that you guys always talk about? Maybe we'll say you have to bet like 1 to 5 units each week. Make the units $50 or $100...whatever is better.

If you go broke, then you can "buy back in" for maybe half the amount you started with or something. :-?

Then, for the people who start but don't keep doing it, we'll have a computer randomly pick a line for them and make them spend 1 unit. That way no one can get away with having a high score and not betting.

Coupla things.

First I think that we should stick with the units and not go with the cash. We don't want to encourage gambling and we don't want to suggest to people how much they should be betting.

The minimum bet should be zero (b/c you don't have to bet) and the max should be 3 or 4 units so that we reinforce never to go overboard on a game.

If you go broke you should only get one unit the next week so that you have to slowly build up your pot again. Also, if you give 3 unit to start with after they go broke there is no reason for them to not bet all of it right away (or for somebody who has only two units not to go all in - if that makes any sense). Anyways, I'm in favour of starting everyone out with 3, 4 or 5 units but if you go broke you only get one for next week.

Just thoughts - what does everyone else think?

Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:22 pm

BGbootha wrote:yeah I really like the idea of using some sort of unit betting, we can easily make the units worth 50 or whatever. Also for the sake of the game and scoring I think we should just pay even money. not the 110 that most places pay. that would just make it tougher.

OK, strike the dollar signs! :-) I could see where that could be construed into actual betting when we were just using it as hypothetical coin. :-/

Yeah, points or elephants or Mookies would work just as well...something to mark status in the game is fine. ;-D
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:29 pm

Mookie4ever_ffc wrote:The minimum bet should be zero (b/c you don't have to bet) and the max should be 3 or 4 units so that we reinforce never to go overboard on a game.

I don't understand why you should be allowed to bet 0. If we're all going to do lock picks, then you should have to put something on it, even if it's just 1 unit. What if everyone does really bad or ends up being close to even, and some guy who got 3 or 4 good picks at the beginning stops playing? They might end up winning.

I don't know...I guess it's not fair to make picks for people either, but it would just bum me out if someone who didn't play the whole time won. There's got to be something we can do to make it fair for people who play every week.

If you go broke you should only get one unit the next week so that you have to slowly build up your pot again. Also, if you give 3 unit to start with after they go broke there is no reason for them to not bet all of it right away (or for somebody who has only two units not to go all in - if that makes any sense). Anyways, I'm in favour of starting everyone out with 3, 4 or 5 units but if you go broke you only get one for next week.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Heck, you could even start everyone out with 1 and make people earn everything they get. Chip and a chair, you know! :-b
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk