Cafe Betting Game Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cafe Betting Game Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:39 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
Mookie4ever_ffc wrote:The minimum bet should be zero (b/c you don't have to bet) and the max should be 3 or 4 units so that we reinforce never to go overboard on a game.

I don't understand why you should be allowed to bet 0. If we're all going to do lock picks, then you should have to put something on it, even if it's just 1 unit. What if everyone does really bad or ends up being close to even, and some guy who got 3 or 4 good picks at the beginning stops playing? They might end up winning.

I don't know...I guess it's not fair to make picks for people either, but it would just bum me out if someone who didn't play the whole time won. There's got to be something we can do to make it fair for people who play every week.

That's the thing with betting is that if you can stop when you are ahead then you can make some money off of it. The feeling that you have to bet every week gets people in trouble.

I would agree with you 100% if this was a Cafe game and we were doing it for an icon. But if this isn't a Cafe game and we are trying to simulate real betting then being able to restrain yourself when you don't feel good about any of the games that week is important.

Also, with the number of people playing this thing, I don't think that somebody can stop playing after a few weeks and coast to a win. This will come down to the last week or two of the season, just like it did last year.

Mercer Boy wrote:
Mookie4ever_ffc wrote:If you go broke you should only get one unit the next week so that you have to slowly build up your pot again. Also, if you give 3 unit to start with after they go broke there is no reason for them to not bet all of it right away (or for somebody who has only two units not to go all in - if that makes any sense). Anyways, I'm in favour of starting everyone out with 3, 4 or 5 units but if you go broke you only get one for next week.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Heck, you could even start everyone out with 1 and make people earn everything they get. Chip and a chair, you know! :-b

Nah, lets get people off to a running start with a few chips so that they can build up some steam.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tyr » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:42 pm

I like it. I think everyone should start the beginning of the season with 20 available units (To ensure that even the worst bettor will have 1 unit to spend every week of the regular and post), and then have a choice to spend 0-3 units per week, contained in their single lock.

The idea of giving a "bank" unit to someone that goes broke is an interesting idea, but it will make the record keeping slightly more complicated, especially around the post-season time when bets frequently go awry. It could also be considered bad form for a structured bettor. Once the bankroll is done, it's done. Adding to it from your savings or credit or "the bank" or whatever is generally considered a sign of desperation. Bettors that resort to this have a very proven tendency to continue on with a string of poorly judged bets.

Just a consideration.

Oh, and can I get some information on what everyone wants to see in the results posts/database? I was planning on formatting it something like this:

Week 1

Mookie4ever_ffc: 2 Units, Oak +3 (22 Units)
Evolution: 1 Unit, Under 36.0 (19 Units)

Italicized names represent lost bets, bold represents won bets.

I could also add the user comments as to why they are making their locks to a seperate database or spread sheet and host it off of my website, if the interest is there, and could easily add any other requested information to it.
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:48 pm

Tyr wrote:I like it. I think everyone should start the beginning of the season with 20 available units (To ensure that even the worst bettor will have 1 unit to spend every week of the regular and post), and then have a choice to spend 0-3 units per week, contained in their single lock.

The idea of giving a "bank" unit to someone that goes broke is an interesting idea, but it will make the record keeping slightly more complicated, especially around the post-season time when bets frequently go awry. It could also be considered bad form for a structured bettor. Once the bankroll is done, it's done. Adding to it from your savings or credit or "the bank" or whatever is generally considered a sign of desperation. Bettors that resort to this have a very proven tendency to continue on with a string of poorly judged bets.

I like it ;-D

Tyr wrote:Oh, and can I get some information on what everyone wants to see in the results posts/database? I was planning on formatting it something like this:

Week 1

I could also add the user comments as to why they are making their locks to a seperate database or spread sheet and host it off of my website, if the interest is there, and could easily add any other requested information to it.

I like this too ;-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:10 pm

Dang...menyak really needs to fix your user names. You're like two different people at once! :-S

And I like Tyr's ideas also. I don't mind starting with a decent amount of "units." :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:17 pm

Tyr wrote:I like it. I think everyone should start the beginning of the season with 20 available units (To ensure that even the worst bettor will have 1 unit to spend every week of the regular and post), and then have a choice to spend 0-3 units per week, contained in their single lock.

Just a consideration.

Oh, and can I get some information on what everyone wants to see in the results posts/database? I was planning on formatting it something like this:

Week 1

Good ideas. I like it ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Arlo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:45 am

kashikis wrote:I already right up explanations to a point for Pick3, although I don't think anyone actually reads them :-/

You'd be surprised! ;-)

Mookie4ever_ffc wrote:First I think that we should stick with the units and not go with the cash. We don't want to encourage gambling and we don't want to suggest to people how much they should be betting.

Good thinking. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:57 pm

yeah man I really think we got something going here. The one thing I don't like is the amount of units we each start out with. I would be in favor of going with something like 10 instead of teh 20. That way if you want to keep playing after week 12 you have to have earned it.

Also, when I first read about the players going broke getting a single unit to try to come back on. I really like it. But then someone changed my mind, (don't remember who it was sorry) but once your bankroll is gone, its well gone. I like the idea of players being broke being broke!!!!

Or possibly getting one unit ONCE in order to have a single mulligan. But I don't think they should keep getting a unit every week for losin.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Tyr » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:32 pm

I think that if the bankroll is finished, each player should start with enough to bet through the entire season. Consider this:

A typical "unit" is just a portion of your bankroll. It's a term that bettors apply to individual bets that allow them to smartly stretch their money down the line, instead of losing huge chunks on each game. A well defined unit is typically a 5-10% allocation of your bankroll. Giving 20 units to start would amount to 5% bankroll chunks, which can translate into a pretty considerable sum after building up your roll for a couple of positive years.

I also think that players that are new to sports gambling should atleast have a guarantee that even if they have the dreaded "OhFerTen" season, they should still have the option to continue.

The skill in a game that allows 0-4 units of betting doesn't generally involve staying alive, but staying ahead. I'd rather have the season's worst bettor sitting at 12 units, and the season's best sitting at 54 than have a half dozen people with dead rolls halfway through the season.
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:57 am

Bet? [fredflintston voice]Betbetbetbetbetbetbetbetbetbet!!!!![/fredflintstone voice]

Count me in - I am a degenerate gambler (as my friends like to say) so even a "fake" bet works for me... ;-D
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:26 am

First: When I saw this forum, I thought it'd be about cocaine and jams and jellies. :-)

Secondly: this thing sounds fun why don't we try a preseason week just for kicks?
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk