Commish's how do you run your Keepers. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Commish's how do you run your Keepers.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commish's how do you run your Keepers.

Postby mikehunt » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:49 pm

First off it has been a all read no post year for me on the cafe so it is nice to be posting again.

Anyhow, too avoid another ricky williams problem I have set up or league with a 5 stash player list for each team which they have to drop 2 players by week one of pre season. With this I had hoped to eliminate the problem of retirements and season ending injuries during training camps. In the past my league which is 10 teams of all good people that are still learning the game but are knowledgable enough to manage thier rosters. We have kept 3 guys at season end and then redraft in the usual time slot. this creating a problem on occasion of lost players.

So I was wondering if other commishes find this a good solution or if you do something simular or just say: what happens in the offseason is to bad you have to roll with the punchs. just wondering if my thinking or logic is good on this.

To also add I believe that a whole roster stash list is tough because some people including me like to prepare well ahead of the draft so I want some kind of workable list.

Hope I posted in the right spot.

Later
Mike
mikehunt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:10 pm

Here's what we do in my keeper league:

We keep our whole roster and can trade anyone from that whole roster till about 2 weeks before our draft (about a week before the season) and can keep anyone on our roster at that point (max 3). I've enever tried it any other way but I like the way this works....makes the offseason almost as much fun as the season.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby awwchrist » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:33 pm

We keep two players per team. Keepers have to be designated 2 weeks prior to draft (usually the Thursday before labor day).

Should any team lose a keeper for the season once keepers have been designated, and prior to the draft, then they can pick one player to supplement their lost keeper from their previous roster.

Simple.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:37 pm

We keep 12 and you have to declare them far ahead of the draft, worked out fine for everyone except the Ricky owner last year. He still came 2nd though.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:51 am

What we do is we have a 12 team league, and you keep 5. You can keep any 5, and there are no 'contracts'. So you can keep a player as long as you want.

We lock down Free agent pickups and trading when the last week of our regular season starts. So the team you end with there is your final roster until after our Championship game.

You have open trading, but no free agent pickups until the Super Bowl. At that time we turn in our list of 5 protected players.

There is still open trading throughout the summer until the draft, but no free agent pickups.

We then typically draft the end of July or early August, before the preseason starts, just to make it a bit more difficult.

Has worked out well in the past, and we have just finished our 10th season.

I am not the commish, but was for about 3 years. We kinda switch it around every few years. I think we have had 3-4 commissioners so far.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:58 am

We keep 3 players and do not announce them until about 2 weeks to a month before our draft.

We have no trading whatsoever in the offseason until the keepers are announced. That may seem harsh but we have found things get way too complicated w/ carrying people over or having picks involved in trades and then people end up not keeping players they traded for (virtually giving away players/picks).

As soon as the keepers are announced you can trade players and/or picks up until the draft
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk