Who gets re-signed?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cincinnati Bengals

Who gets re-signed??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who gets re-signed??

Postby dave416 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:15 am

Rudi, Warrick, and Housh to name a few....

The question is, who gets canned and who stays? Early it looks like Warrick and Housh will stick around while Rudi may be going. I believe Rudi wants something in the neighborhood of 3 years for 17-18 million, which the Bengals may not be able to afford. I know Lewis wants a back who catches the ball out of the backfield well, but I would be a lot more comfortable with him leaving if Perry was able to show his stuff more this year. Either way, it will be interesting to see what they do.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby Flux » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:33 am

Saw this on fanball a couple days ago

The News
The Bengals and the agent for running back Rudi Johnson are getting together to discuss a new contract for the potential free agent, and the Cincinnati Enquirer indicated that even if no deal were reached the team would use the franchise tag to keep Rudi around for at least another season. "We are trying," Bengals team president Mike Brown said. "We like Rudi, and we like [potential free agent wide receiver T.J.] Houshmandzadeh. They have shown what they can do. They fit in with what we're doing. They are popular in the locker room and with the fans out on the field. They are the kinds of guys you would like to have be part of the team."

Our View
Johnson set the club single-season rushing record this year with 1,454 yards and finished second in the league with 361 carries. The franchise tag would guarantee him a one-year deal at the average of the top five salaries at his position, or $5.167 million. Cincy drafted Chris Perry in the first round last year, but he missed virtually the entire season with an abdominal injury. It would be surprising if Rudi weren't brought back for at least the 2005 season, if only to fill the position for another year and allow the club to gauge what they have in Perry.

If we end up giving Rudi a new, full contract, our Perry pick will end up being sort of a waste. Sure we will have quality insurance behind him, but thats a lot of money for someone who will be our 3rd down back.

The only advantage the bengals have in all this negotiations is that there are SOOOO many FA RBs or RBs on the trading blocks, that Rudi cant demand as much as he normally would be able to. By actually franchising him, the bengals would get him for another year at a reasonable price, would be able to see what they have in Perry, and Rudi would be in a new market where all of these other FAs will have signed longer contracts and will be out of the picture. But then again, if they can get him dirt cheap, then by all means do so.

I also saw this on ffmastermind

-- Bengals Free Agents --
Thu Jan 6, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Bengals have made re-signing RB Rudi Johnson and WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh priorities. The team could franchsie Johnson if an agreement cannot be reached. Other Bengals unrestricted free agents are P Kyle Richardson, C Jerry Fontenot, C Rich Braham, DE Carl Powell, DT Tony Williams, and LB Frank Chamberlin. The team is expected to retain all five of its restricted free agents - RB Kenny Watson, LB Marcus Wilkins, CB Rashad Bauman, CB Reggie Myles, and S Anthony Mitchell.

I wish we knew more about Warricks injury, b/c that would give us a lot more insight on what they are going to do. Ive heard that it may be way more severe than they are letting on and could end up ending his career. Of course that is just rumor and I have no link or anything. If Warrick cant play like he used to, TJ is a must sign. I think K. Washington is the better talent, but has yet to even come close to reaching it. TJ really grew on me this year, he started off pretty bad and had a major case of the dropsies but really turned it on at the end of the year. I hope he just doesnt ask for an arm and a leg, b/c that would definitely kill us.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dave416 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:01 pm

Cool, thanks for that information. Agreed, if Warrick's injury is that bad, then Housh must be signed.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby DUKE » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:04 pm

I'd like to see Rudi and TJ back next season. But, if Rudi wants to break the bank and make as much as he was rumored to be asking, I would be ok with letting him walk and signing a cheaper FA running back alah Lamont Jordan or Dominick Rhodes. With the money saved, we could resign TJ and possibly bring in a free agent defensive tackle such as Jason Fergusson, Pat Williams, or Corey Simon (who Marvin has actually mentioned within the past two weeks). Basically, I like the idea of keeping both around, but I'd be Ok with exploring other options if we are forced to do it. Warrick isn't a free agent. Like Flux said, there have been rumors of the injury being worse than advertised. Marvin did say in his last press conference that "Warrick will be fine." I'm still not sold entirely on that particular comment, as Marvin is known to tell you as little as he can get by with, and he speaks ambiguously whenever he can. One thing is for sure: It should be a very interesting off season. I can't wait to see some of these things unfold.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Bennett4prez » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:59 pm

Being a Vikings fan, I don't have too much insight, but I think the Bengals should flat out forget about Rudi. Perry should serve as a decent to good running back in that system. I see Rudi leaving and the Bengals signing a veteran backup (Antwoin Smith?) to help Marv coach Perry into a top RB.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Turnip » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:38 pm

Perry is too big of a question mark in my mind to hand the starting job to just yet. Maybe if he got more PT this year, but as it stands now I think we need to resign Rudi, maybe just another year. Housh came out of nowhere and instead of shelling big bucsk for him, I think we should take a chance Warrick, Washington, and/or another out-of-nowhere receiver.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Cincinnati Bengals