Reflect on 2004. Project for 2005. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Chicago Bears

Reflect on 2004. Project for 2005.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:00 pm

ironman wrote:
Goatwhacker wrote:with a cannon for an arm and a pea for a brain.

Like Nuke LaLoosh. A million dollar arm, with a five cent head. :-D

I never get sick of wathcing that movie. Good reference. :-b
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:33 pm

Just read in the paper today that the Bears may look to get Fiedler. Not sure if I like that. He doesn't seem good enough to win the starting job outright but he could just do enough to cause a QB controversy, especially if Grossman struggles. Overall I think he'd just muddy up the situation.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:11 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:Dear McCaskeys,
Sign either Muhsim Muhammed or Derik Mason and bring in randel el. randel el will be enourmous for punt returns, since i hear, and pray, that you will be cutting or trading r.w. mcquarters. Sign a stud o-lineman at the 4 spot and sign some talent to improve that line.

I think this is a nice move, but knowing bears managment we'll sign jerry rice and terry glen and draft a quarterback.

alright well part of the profecy has come true. someone mentioned earlier about the bears being 2.5 million under the cap, i saw that too and im curious how the bears were even able to sign moose. unless the bears are planning to go to salary cap hell like the 49ers are now, but im not ever sure how the 9ers got there in the first place. but it definetly doesnt sound like the bears are done yet. here a quote from rex in todays suntimes:

"I'm not sure if we're done,'' Grossman said with a smile. "They dropped hints, but everything is top-secret around here. They definitely said this offseason we're going to focus on the offense, and Lovie [Smith] did tell me they were going to get me some weapons and get me some playmakers to help me along and everything.''

just please, please, please, please, please bears...do not draft a running back at the 4 spot.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby kevinoc81 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:41 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:just please, please, please, please, please bears...do not draft a running back at the 4 spot.

I've been saying all along, and I still stick to the fact that I would love Braylon Edwards. If, some how, some way though, the Bears could pull a miracle and come out of this draft with Troy Williamson, Heath Miller, and Mike Nugent I would understand trading the #4 pick. The problem is that Williamson moved up with his 40 time. If they can't do that, Braylon Edwards is the only smart choice.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:30 am

Yeah lets draft another WR from Michigan in the first round.....um.... :-o

j/k..Edwards should be better than Terrell...I think. :*)
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kevinoc81 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:01 am

ironman wrote:Yeah lets draft another WR from Michigan in the first round.....um.... :-o

I know just the thought makes everyone cringe :-o , but if never draft a Michigan player again just because of Terrell we're going to miss out on a lot of talent.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:03 pm

kevinoc81 wrote:
ironman wrote:Yeah lets draft another WR from Michigan in the first round.....um.... :-o

I know just the thought makes everyone cringe :-o , but if never draft a Michigan player again just because of Terrell we're going to miss out on a lot of talent.

i think because of kiper everyone has fallen in love with braylon, but im not a believer. i watched a lot of games last year and i saw braylon drop a lot of balls in clutch situations. will that transfer to the nfl? i dont know. but ive never heard or seen mike williams be anything else but clutch. also, i wouldnt mind the bears trading down to the 10 or 12 to grab the TE from virginia, cant remember his name. you guys know our last good tight end chicago was probably ditka! :-# and a great TE could be a really nice saftey valve for rex...jesus i cant wait for the draft.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby kevinoc81 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:22 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
kevinoc81 wrote:

i think because of kiper everyone has fallen in love with braylon, but im not a believer. i watched a lot of games last year and i saw braylon drop a lot of balls in clutch situations. will that transfer to the nfl? i dont know. but ive never heard or seen mike williams be anything else but clutch. also, i wouldnt mind the bears trading down to the 10 or 12 to grab the TE from virginia, cant remember his name. you guys know our last good tight end chicago was probably ditka! :-# and a great TE could be a really nice saftey valve for rex...jesus i cant wait for the draft.

kevinoc81 wrote:If, some how, some way though, the Bears could pull a miracle and come out of this draft with Troy Williamson, Heath Miller, and Mike Nugent I would understand trading the #4 pick. The problem is that Williamson moved up with his 40 time. If they can't do that, Braylon Edwards is the only smart choice.

Heath Miller is the TE from Virginia. Mike Nugent can take over for Gollum (I mean Paul Edinger), and I still would like to see another WR opposite Moose if possible. Unless we have faith in Gage or Berrian, because i think Wade is just a slot WR.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:44 pm

I went to the Michigan website and searched for Michigan receivers with over 1000 career receiving yards. Here they are:

Braylon Edwards
Anthony Carter
Amani Toomer
David Terrell
Tai Streets
Marquise Walker
Greg McMurtry
Desmond Howard
Mercury Hayes
Derrick Alexander
Jack Clancy
Jim Smith
Vince Bean
Marcus Knight
Jim Mandich
John Kolesar
Ralph Clayton
Jerame Tuman
Lowell Perry
Jason Avant
Paul Jokisch

My point is there is no real history of Michigan WRs coming in and making major impacts in the NFL. There are some that were highly touted and could be considered disappointments, I would include David Terrell, Desmond Howard and maybe Anthony Carter among them. There is no tradition of Michigan receivers coming to the NFL and making an impact. In Braylon Edwards defense he is head-and-shoulders above the others stat-wise.

I too would rather see Williams drafted instead of Edwards (though I'm not sure WR is really the Bears biggest need any more). Maybe he's a little slower than Edwards, but I'd rather have a big receiver that doesn't drop the ball than another Terrell.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kevinoc81 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:06 pm

I went to the Notre Dame website and found that they have only had two 1000 yard WRs in their storied history: Jack Snow (1964) and Tom Gatewood (1970), but that didn't stop Tim Brown from having a HOF career did it? David Givens has been a decent WR for New England right?

If you don't want the Bears to take Edwards because you would like to see them trade down and cover more needs, fine. If you think he is overhyped and he drops too many balls, fine.

I am just tired of hearing that you should never draft a WR out of Michigan because of Terrell. Or Michigan WRs don't do well in the pros. His school has nothing to do with it. There's a first for everything. I'm sure somone out there said Tim Brown comes from Notre Dame and their WRs never do good in the pros. Wow, did that guy end up looking stupid.

Judge these kids on talent, attitude, work ethic, etc. Not on what school gave them a full-ride.

By the way, if you read my above posts, you will see that I don't object to passing on Edwards, if we get enough for the #4 pick and we can fill more needs.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Chicago Bears