Is Peyton Manning the next Dan Marino? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Peyton Manning the next Dan Marino?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby fantasizing » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:08 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:I see the Colts winning the super bowl. As long as they play like this, no defense can stop them. Without Law and Poole, the Pats are dead in the water. I don't know if Pitts D can stop the Colts. No one can, and they dont have the passing game to compete.

The same thing was said last year. While the long range forcast doesn't currently call for snow, just playing outdoors, in the cold, on grass slows that team down.

But there just seems to be more weapons this year. Harrison is almost like an afterthought in that offence now. Manning has SO many options that it almost becomes impossible to defend against. Even if NE floods the back field with defensive backs like it did against the Rams during the superbowl, Manning will find the short routes and screens to Edge to keep moving the chains.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:54 am

Ya gotta believe that with a defensive guru like Dungy as head coach, some day he's gonna put together a respectable defence to go with that wicked offence and then watch out!!!!!!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:27 pm

fantasizing wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:I see the Colts winning the super bowl. As long as they play like this, no defense can stop them. Without Law and Poole, the Pats are dead in the water. I don't know if Pitts D can stop the Colts. No one can, and they dont have the passing game to compete.

The same thing was said last year. While the long range forcast doesn't currently call for snow, just playing outdoors, in the cold, on grass slows that team down.

But there just seems to be more weapons this year. Harrison is almost like an afterthought in that offence now. Manning has SO many options that it almost becomes impossible to defend against. Even if NE floods the back field with defensive backs like it did against the Rams during the superbowl, Manning will find the short routes and screens to Edge to keep moving the chains.

Then is it all about Law? The Pats already beat the Colts this year. And now it will be colder, and on grass, which affects the Colts negatively. Dillon will run it right through the Colts--he's better than Droughns, and if they stack the box, Brady surely can throw better than Plummer. I'm amazed that the Pats are being so easily discounted at home, again.

Say all you want about Gay as a corner, he's done the job.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:33 pm

Well, not really as lopsided as I remember, but it is the same arguments being made on both sides.

http://fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/v ... s+patriots

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:12 pm

It has alot to do with the injuries to the NE DBs. Law was THE difference maker last year and without him there it makes Manning and the passing game that much more dangerous. And you say Dillon will run through that D....well in the running game I still give Indy the advantage. But with no snow it doesn't matter that it's cold. The Indy passing game will win this game. Period. Even last year with all the TOs Indy was in it right to the end. And if not for Brady getting his knee down just before he fumbled it could have been a different story.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:13 pm

NE DBs have quietly done a good job this year. I'm not so sure a half-injured Ty Law would have made the difference, anyway. The big key is really Seymour.

And you said you give the Colts the advantage in the running game? Meaning you think they'll get more yards on the ground than the Pats, or you think Edge is better than Dillon? I think the latter argument is flawed.

Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby goleafsgo96 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:47 pm

I would definately take edge over Dillon there.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:01 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:I would definately take edge over Dillon there.

But that was my point--comparing the two is faulty logic. They are not running against each other. There are no speed trials, no blocking drills, etc.

The key question is, would you take Dillon against the Colts defense or Edge against the Patriots defense, and I think Dillon has the big advantage.

Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby JimmyChoi » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:18 pm

NO WAY....................I would never pay money to see Peyton in ACE Ventura 3.....ass detective...
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:27 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:It has alot to do with the injuries to the NE DBs. Law was THE difference maker last year and without him there it makes Manning and the passing game that much more dangerous. And you say Dillon will run through that D....well in the running game I still give Indy the advantage. But with no snow it doesn't matter that it's cold. The Indy passing game will win this game. Period. Even last year with all the TOs Indy was in it right to the end. And if not for Brady getting his knee down just before he fumbled it could have been a different story.

who cares if law was the difference maker last year? Did the Patriots have Dillon last year? maybe he will be the differnece maker. maybe it will be rodney harrison. you never know who the difference maker will be. And considering Law was out most of this year, and it still didnt make a difference.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk