Is Peyton Manning the next Dan Marino? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Peyton Manning the next Dan Marino?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby LT Blue Colt » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:46 pm

All pretty good points, but I would have to believe P.Manning is most likely going to make a name for himself. He's definitly going to go down as one of the greatest. I'm just glad I'll get to watch the good, bad, and ugly's along the way. And, probably record setting performances.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRawDAWG » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:00 am

portisfan24 wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:It has alot to do with the injuries to the NE DBs. Law was THE difference maker last year and without him there it makes Manning and the passing game that much more dangerous. And you say Dillon will run through that D....well in the running game I still give Indy the advantage. But with no snow it doesn't matter that it's cold. The Indy passing game will win this game. Period. Even last year with all the TOs Indy was in it right to the end. And if not for Brady getting his knee down just before he fumbled it could have been a different story.

who cares if law was the difference maker last year? Did the Patriots have Dillon last year? maybe he will be the differnece maker. maybe it will be rodney harrison. you never know who the difference maker will be. And considering Law was out most of this year, and it still didnt make a difference.

Law wasn't out when they played earlier in the year and the Colts should have at least sent that game to overtime. And the DBs that have been doing the job haven't face the best passing attack in the history of football. I think it'll be a huge task for them to cover the 3 WRs never mind the fact Edge can come out and catch some balls and they have 2 great TE. I'm just saying that I think this will come down to a shootout and the team to score the most points will win. They Pats wont be able to keep up. Thats my prediction.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:17 pm

I think it's fair to bring this back.

I think Manning is on the way to becoming Marino. He needs to learn to play in the big game. He seemed timid in this game--so afraid to get picked off, like last year, that he never tried to stretch the field.

He's a great passer, but not a great quarterback.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:37 pm

A key variable here is that he is calling his own plays. That is very difficult and puts an extra layer of pressure on a QB. He can't really see the big picture sometimes, especially when things are going wrong. I think Manning can be, and has been for the most part, a great QB, like Marino, but like Marino, he lacks in the supporting cast area, namely defense. BUT if Manning wants to continue calling his own plays, he will have to learn and improve his playcalling to take it to the next level. I absolutely believe he can do it but I would be lying if I didn't say I have my doubts too. He's got a long way to go.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:40 pm

There are times I really do miss Jim Harbaugh...
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk