I'd take Culpepper now over Favre in any point of his career - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I'd take Culpepper now over Favre in any point of his career

Moderator: Football Moderators

I'd take Culpepper now over Favre in any point of his career

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:06 pm

Before you guys go postal on me, calling me a homer and a blind Vikings fan, let's take a look into the guys' stats...

Daunte Culpepper through six years in the NFL and 74 games has 20,927 total yards. Brett Favre through his first six year in the NFL and 81 games played (seven games more than Culpepper) had 19657 total yards. Comes out to Daunte having 1270 more yards in 7 less games. Daunte has 157 TDs in that same span, in comparison with Favre's 156, Daunte leading by 1, with playing 7 less games, in which he could have easily put up 20 more. Daunte, has thrown only 74 INTs, whereas Favre had thrown 80. Favre's QB rating through 6 years was 88.7, Daunte's is 93.2. Now, if you want to argue best seasons. Daunte threw for more yards this year, 4717, than Favre did in any one of his years, through his entire career, his best being 4413. He had a better TD:INT ratio of 39:11, as opposed to in Favre's best season he threw 39 TDs with 13 picks, in his 6th season as well. His QB rating was 110.9, whereas in Favre's best season his QB rating 99.5, which is a pretty good margin. Daunte's completion % is 69.2, Brett's best was 65.4, which didn't come until his 13th year in the NFL. Daunte had 63 20+ yard passes, Brett's best was 61. Culpepper threw 18 40+ yard passes, Brett's best being 13. Daunte has averaged over 8 yards per pass twice in his career, with his best being 8.61 and his wirst being 7.02. In Favre's 14-year career he has never averaged more 8 yards per completion and in 6 of those seasons has averaged less than in any of Daunte's. Favre's best season he averaged 7.74 yd/per, which doesn't hold a stick to Daunte's 8.61, almost a yard more, per pass. Daunte had 609 rushing yards for 46 first downs in his best season, Favre had 216 yards for 13 first downs, talk about getting the yards when the team needs them. Daunte also did all this this year without having the best WR on the team healthy for about half the season, making due with second-year guys who were completely unproven before this year, and making them look like superstars.

I'm talking football, not fantasy...In fantasy, it's not even a comparison who's the better choice, it's obviously Daunte, no matter what scoring.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:23 am

Might as well just say what everyone is thinking...I have no allegiance to either team, and I actually don't like Favre at all. :-)

For most people, it's the wins, the rings, and the image that make you a better player.

Numbers are numbers; fantasy is fantasy, real life wins are real life wins. What counts more in the end, and who do you want leading your team if the game is on the line? I'm going to take a guess and say more people would count on Favre in his prime over Culpepper.

Favre has led a team to a Super Bowl win and numerous playoff wins. Culpepper starts out on fire in the regular season and for whatever reason, he and the team (collectively) can't get it done. It might not be due to Daunte (and it probably never is), but not many people remember the QB's that played well and didn't win the big one. In the final analysis, if he gets like 50,000 passing yards like Marino or Moon did, then he'll definitely be remembered as a great player...but it won't be for the championships. It will be a lower amount of esteem than someone like Elway, Montana, or even Favre garner because of their presence and their ability to win the big games.

If Culpepper can take the Vikes to the promised land at some point in time, it all changes. But, for the present time, you have to say Favre is the more accomplished player.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby tomkatt » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:35 am

Mercer Boy, ;-D
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TTTBone » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:13 am

Zimm is back!!!;-D
Damn, some people rip on Randy and you come back with the typical Vike response of comparing some losing Viking players to some winner Packer players.
Really, I think most Viking fans are perhaps more obsessed with the Packers than even I am, despite being a life-long Packer fan.
Big weekend for all of us, but, get over it, the Packers are obviously the much more storied franchise. Vikings have nothing more than a history of classic choke-jobs.
Don't blame the Pack for your inadequacies. :-P
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:42 am

How many Super Bowl rings does Daunte have???? And how many times has he been League MVP??? Thought so.
As one famous coach once said, You can't measure heart. And Favre has heart like no one else. Witness the game he played against the Raiders on MNF the day his dad died - that's heart and there ain't no stats that can measure that! Favre in his prime ranks right up there with the best of them.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:35 am

I think Mercer Boy summed it up quite nicely.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:21 am

Daunte = dome.
Favre = F'ing Wisconsin.

Daunte's best year during the inaugural "I'm sorry, if you're a cornerback you might as well tie your hands behind you and cover your assigned WR" rule.

No dice. I'm not buying.

I got you a little something:

Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nilmerf » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:26 am

Ouch, dude comes up with a big mushed paragraph of stats that no one reads and gets beat with logic. ;-D
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:15 am

Nilmerf wrote:Ouch, dude comes up with a big mushed paragraph of stats that no one reads and gets beat with logic. ;-D

That's the problem, very few probably read the stats. Stats don't lie, they are very objective and don't care about media hype and who the darling currently is in the eyes of the fans. Let's talk about logic. According to some of you apparently Doug Williams and Trent Dilfer are better QB's than Marino, Sonny Jurgenson, or Fran Tarkenton (all Hall of Famers) because they won a Super Bowl and the others didn't. Some logic! Sorry guys, I'm not buying. Daunte over Farve in my mind.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:41 am

Marino was the best QB of all time, but you're saying that since he didn't win a Super Bowl you wouldn't want him on your team over a guy that did? Terry Bradshaw's stats were very mediocre as a QB for most of his career, but he led the team to three Super Bowls, so you'd take him over Marino? Before you guys can talk intangibles and postseason, you gotta talk tangibles. Daunte's got better stats. You ever think that maybe the surrounding cast is a big part of Super Bowl titles? Or coach maybe? Daunte has never played with anything but a bad defense, not even average. We've never had a half-decent coach. Our line is really below average, especially this year, despite what most people say. Daunte eludes more sacks than Vick, the D-line is in there on almost every play, even when they send three, which was the case against Washington last week.

Only one team wins a Super Bowl every year, which means that by what you're saying, the other 31 QBs are bad and highly inferior to the one that won it. You guys really think that Tom Brady is a better QB than Peyton Manning? Daunte Culpepper had the same amount of INTs thrown this year as Ben Roethlisberger, starting three more games. But say Ben gets to the Super Bowl, you really think that he's a better QB?

Nilmerf wrote:Ouch, dude comes up with a big mushed paragraph of stats that no one reads and gets beat with logic.
Not reading the stats that I post, which was my post just shows your ignorance. No point in replying to a post if you didn't even read what it said.

Daunte = dome.
Favre = F'ing Wisconsin.

Daunte's best year during the inaugural "I'm sorry, if you're a cornerback you might as well tie your hands behind you and cover your assigned WR" rule.

No dice. I'm not buying.
Sure, Culpepper plays in a dome, woo-hoo. When Favre plays in a dome, he sucks. The dome can't be that big of an advantage if Favre can't succeed in it as well. Our losses away aren't Daunte's fault. Our WR corps and RBs are turf runners. Daunte plays fine when on grass and doesn't lose the games.

Oh, and Favre played this year too ya know, as well as all the rest of the 32 QBs in this league.
Last edited by M_Zimm_ffc on Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk