Who was worse; Moss, Buck, or the 4 letter word in sports? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who was worse; Moss, Buck, or the 4 letter word in sports?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who was worse; Moss, Buck, or the 4 letter word in sports?

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:46 pm

Was it Candy Moss for his pseudo-mooning of the fans?
Or:
Was it Joe Buck for trying to be a self-righteous over-reaction to Candy's display?
Or:
Was it ESPN for showing what a corperate shill they have become by cowtowing and not showing the highlights?

Moss was a bafoon doing what he did, but that wasn't out of character for him. It was classless but harmless. Understand, too, it is not unheard of for Packer fans to moon opposing players as their bus leaves after the game. I have a friend who is a Packer fan and he has told me that he's seen it.

Joe Buck's "That is a disgusting act by Randy Moss and it's unfortunate that we had to show that live, blah blah blah." Shut up you fake. Spend the whole game buffing Favre, as he implodes, and then jump all over Moss the first chance you sensibilities are upset. Save your pompous outrage you Puritan. When I want your opinion I'll wait until the pc censors are done giving it to you.

Mostly though, shame on ESPN. Why did they not show the highlights? I think they jumped the shark here. When the self-proclaimed world leader in sports information is too wimpy to show the footage then you know they're no longer leaders but followers. Shame on you ESPN. And for that I think that ESPN showed their as..er..rear more than even Joe Buckstick.

Any way that's my two cents.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:52 pm

Well, I guess ESPN had a change of heart because they just showed the "gesture" (actually, twice) on Sportscenter.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Who was worse; Moss, Buck, or the 4 letter word in sports?

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:57 pm

moochman wrote:Mostly though, shame on ESPN. Why did they not show the highlights? I think they jumped the shark here. When the self-proclaimed world leader in sports information is too wimpy to show the footage then you know they're no longer leaders but followers. Shame on you ESPN. And for that I think that ESPN showed their as..er..rear more than even Joe Buckstick.

Add this to the ESPN shame - being hypocritical. They didn't show the moon last night at all, but then as soon as their morning shows (Mike & Mike) started talking about it for about 30 minutes out of their broadcast they must have started to think they had a story (like they wouldn't think that originally). I don't know if anyone else saw this, but when I woke up tonight at 7, ESPNEWS was showing the moon ad naseum and bringing in all their experts to get their feelings on it. :-?

I thought the moon was funny. The guys in the NFL these days are going to do stuff like this. It's great press for the NFL, so when you think about it, they probably don't care that much - they just fine the guys to make it seem like they don't approve.

If the NFL really cared and wanted to stop the "unsportsmanlike" dances in the games, they need to do what NASCAR did - start taking away points (which I can't see happening) or start ejecting/suspending people (which I suppose could happen, but do they really want to take it that far?). I don't think a coach would like either of those things to happen, so I would assume the hammer would be put down on demeaning celebrations pretty fast.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:09 am

I have to agree with you about the ESPN rant. I've actually successfully made the transition from ESPN to NFL Network, mostly because I'm sick of ESPN's hypocrisy and their "MTV-like" attitude towards sports. They will embrace Stewart Scott saying "off the shizzle" but they won't show Randy Moss' end-zone dance? I'm a lot like you, I like to get the news straight forward and not get hit with all of the Stewart Scott hizzle-shizzle crap he spews out of his can when he talks about sports highlights. Randy's dance was exactly what you said, Moochman. It was harmless.

As for Joe Buck, he's just being vanilla, which is what he is for the most part. Naturally, Brett Favre, who himself is not a perfect role model, is the "good guy" because he's a national football icon from the old-school mold. Buck would back Favre's horse because Buck himself is of the old-school mold. Moss is too "hip" for Buck to back his antics. I'm not shocked by what Buck said during the endzone dance, I've almost come to expect that from him.

As for Moss, I really don't care about the end-zone dance all that much. Moss may be a cancer to his team, but to make such a big deal over his end-zone dance is pretty overblown. Today's generation embraces a fool like Randy Moss, which is why he continues to do silly things like moon the crowd.

That's just my two cents.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:41 am

If people can get over the notion that professional atheletes (one too many 'e's ?...that word always gets me) deserve to be role models, the world would be a much better place.

God I miss Charles Barkley.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rodge » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:38 am

Moochman, you are awesome. I couldn't agree with you more. I think that the worst of the three was Joe Buck. Who the hell does this guy think he is. He completely overreacted and now he is using this to promote himself. I heard him on Sporting News Radio tonight and he was basically making an idiot out of himself saying how this was such a "shameful" act by Randy Moss and Buck was trying to pump himself up for having the gumption to stand up for morality. Give me a break. I do not like Joe Buck at all. He is a pretty decent baseball anouncer, but he sucks in the football booth. I long for the day that I can watch a game on Fox and not have to listen to him. It's really too bad because his dad was such a good guy and a good broadcaster. I don't know what else to say. I cannot stand the guy. Wouldn't that be great if everyone who sees Joe Buck in public moons him.
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby awwchrist » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:38 am

In tune with the theme of the thread, I agree with Mooch as well. All I can add is this..

These knuckleheads need to be a little more aware of the true brevity their comments have when they rant about situations like this. They have millions of people soaking in their color commentary play after play. And if they start injecting their immediate responses to such a degree that it becomes overwhelming (as apparently happened with said play) then you've just set the tone for the entire media's direction.

I can honestly say had the audio been turned down on the TV, I would have probably laughed off Moss' actions. But the moment Buck starts badgering with his response, I found myself following sheepishly.

Another similar incident was Seattle's last few minutes of the week 17 match up with Atlanta. As the falcons scored their last touchdown, and after they failed on their game ending two point attempt, all the color guy could spew about was the injustice of Alexander not getting the last yard to tie Martin.

Oh meanwhile there's a game going on and Seattle just won the division and got a home game in the playoffs.

Needless to say...there's a good side to everyone...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-randysmostimportanthuddle&prov=knight&type=lgns
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:37 am

Want even more hypocrisy, this is the same Joe Buck that is making untold thousands doing "Leon" commercials that basically portray the very things he so self righteously denounces. Why not give that money back there, Joe baby, and we might believe you a bit more. The whole reaction to the Moss thing was so over the top that it would be unbelievable except that with all the Moss hating out there it's not surprising. Thankfully, you have saner heads out there like Tony Dungy. He defended Moss and said the whole end zone thing was "humerous" and put it in context as Mooch said, that the Packer fans have a tradition of mooning the opposing team's bus as the players leave after the game.

And by the way, great link AWW, that kind of stuff usually doesn't get out about Randy because he doesn't want it to. Kind of strange for such a "me-first" kind of guy.......
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:30 am

Carolina Culpepper wrote:Want even more hypocrisy, this is the same Joe Buck that is making untold thousands doing "Leon" commercials that basically portray the very things he so self righteously denounces. Why not give that money back there, Joe baby, and we might believe you a bit more.

Don't forget his "slam a lama ding dong!" commercials. He now has done two of them. Isn't that some sort of "bring the spotlight upon myself" type of reference? :-? :-S
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:48 am

I was actually not offended by what Moss did. I think ESPN went way overboard not showing it, and I never liked Buck. He just comes across as pompous, cocky, and a know it all. I especially dislike the zoom ins, and he just says something and makes goofy faces or whatever into the camera and he clearly plays into it.

But anyways, back to the thread here...I think if Moss really pulled his pants down, it would have been something but he didn't. Sure I can see where it can be viewed as controversial, but not the worst thing that has ever been done.

I did like seeing what other people thought and when Tony Dungy said it's kind of a tradition that if Green Bay beats you as you leave on your team bus the fans that gather around moon you.

Moss would have been through that a few times in his career and since Minnesota has seldom won in Lambeau, it was his chance to 'give something back'.

I am not justifying what he did, just not making it out to be the world's biggest event either. I think he was just trying to have fun with it. It's not like he went into the crowd and attacked anyone for talking smack to him. He hit the fans where it hurt them the most, beating their beloved Packers on the field.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk