Is Vick's height problem him?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Vick's height problem him??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Vick's height problem him??

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:45 pm

I was discussing Mike Vick with some of my friends yeaterday, and it really got me thinking. Are Vick's sacks and interceptions due to his 5'11" frame? The average height of an O-Lineman is 6'4", so Vick is way smaller then them. I'm thinking that since he may not be able to see over the O-Line, maybehe isn't noticing that he is about to be sacked , and that he can't see his wideouts clearly.

Take Dante Culpepper for example, he's 6'4" and is as tall if not taller than his O-line. his TD:INT ratio and sacks are a lot better than Vick's, and not becasue Dante is a better QB, but beacsue he can see past the line of scrimmage.

I'm not sure if I have a fair argument, so any sugguestions would be nice. Do you guys agree with me here, or think that it's just some crazy explanation for Vick's lack of passing success?
Last edited by mtryanks12 on Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is Vick's height problem him??

Postby Flux » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:47 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:I was discussing Mike Vick with some of my friends yeaterday, and it really got me thinking. Are Vick's sacks and interceptions due to his 5'11" frame? The average height of an O-Lineman is 6'4", so Vick is way smaller then them. I'm thinking that since he may not be able to see over the O-Line, maybehe isn't noticing that he is about to be sacked , and that he can't see his wideouts clearly.

Take Dante Culpepper for example, he's 6'7" and much taller than his O-line. his TD:INT ratio and sacks are a lot better than Vick's, and not becasue Dante is a better QB, but beacsue he can see past the line of scrimmage.

I'm not sure if I have a fair argument, so any sugguestions would be nice. Do you guys agree with me here, or think that it's just some crazy explanation for Vick's lack of passing success?

Culpepper is 6'4 not 6'7
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:50 pm

Height is a valuable attribute but Vick is better than guys like Bledsoe.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Is Vick's height problem him??

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:00 pm

Flux wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:I was discussing Mike Vick with some of my friends yeaterday, and it really got me thinking. Are Vick's sacks and interceptions due to his 5'11" frame? The average height of an O-Lineman is 6'4", so Vick is way smaller then them. I'm thinking that since he may not be able to see over the O-Line, maybehe isn't noticing that he is about to be sacked , and that he can't see his wideouts clearly.

Take Dante Culpepper for example, he's 6'7" and much taller than his O-line. his TD:INT ratio and sacks are a lot better than Vick's, and not becasue Dante is a better QB, but beacsue he can see past the line of scrimmage.

Culpepper is 6'4 not 6'7

oh, both of my friends said he was 6'7. I'll edit it.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joshyboy72 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:49 pm

I think it's more about weight than height...considering Daunte has a good 50 pounds on the guy. 8-o
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:51 pm

Height might be a factor but its not a major one. I mean it is nice when you are 6'4" or 6'5" and can see over the offensive lineman clearly but I wont say that he throws a lot of interceptions b/c of this height. Take Jeff Garcia for example. He still managed to put up 3 pro bowl seasons and he is only 6'0".
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:12 pm

J2thez929 wrote:Height might be a factor but its not a major one. I mean it is nice when you are 6'4" or 6'5" and can see over the offensive lineman clearly but I wont say that he throws a lot of interceptions b/c of this height. Take Jeff Garcia for example. He still managed to put up 3 pro bowl seasons and he is only 6'0".

Terrell Owens was a big part of his success, Garcia in himself is not a pro-bowl quarterback.

Jeff Garcia regularly moved outside the pocket, even on plays were there was little to no pressure on him. When he did stay in the pocket, it seemed to me Garcia had a problem of getting enough elevation on his throws to even clear his own linemens' helmets... A lot of the time he reverted to the "jump throw" ala NFL Blitz. Of course this could be due to his weak "30 yard arm" but I'm guessing height played a major role in that as well.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Ironhorse75 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:18 pm

Shouldn't really matter, a lot of his passing is on the run or, out of the O-line's way.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Flux » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:30 pm

I think there is definitely an advantage to being taller, but if Vick were any taller, he wouldnt be nearly as good of a runner. So its a bit of a give/take relationship. Sure Culpepper can run, but nothing like Vick.

Vicks major problem is that his best WR is Peerless Price (Im not counting Alge as a WR), who is not good enough to be a #1 WR. If they got a better talent in there, to either replace or compliment Price, Vick would have much better stats.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:39 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
J2thez929 wrote:Height might be a factor but its not a major one. I mean it is nice when you are 6'4" or 6'5" and can see over the offensive lineman clearly but I wont say that he throws a lot of interceptions b/c of this height. Take Jeff Garcia for example. He still managed to put up 3 pro bowl seasons and he is only 6'0".

Terrell Owens was a big part of his success, Garcia in himself is not a pro-bowl quarterback.

Jeff Garcia regularly moved outside the pocket, even on plays were there was little to no pressure on him. When he did stay in the pocket, it seemed to me Garcia had a problem of getting enough elevation on his throws to even clear his own linemens' helmets... A lot of the time he reverted to the "jump throw" ala NFL Blitz. Of course this could be due to his weak "30 yard arm" but I'm guessing height played a major role in that as well.

I agree with you somewhat but I don't think Garcia's past sucess is directly linked to TO. Of course, having a #1 WR will help you, but I dont think you can say that Garcia's pro bowls were all because of TO.

Garcia is a good QB for his size. He just needs a good offensive line. He has the accuracy and scrambling ability to make plays, completions, and win games. Bottom line - Is he a stud? no. Good QB? Yes
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk