Is Vick's height problem him?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Vick's height problem him??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby tomkatt » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:07 pm

Vick's interceptions are much more related to his inaccurate arm than his height. He is just not a great passer yet. Hopefully he will make some progress in that department. He sure is fun to watch though.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:43 am

Flux wrote:I think there is definitely an advantage to being taller, but if Vick were any taller, he wouldnt be nearly as good of a runner. So its a bit of a give/take relationship. Sure Culpepper can run, but nothing like Vick.

Vicks major problem is that his best WR is Peerless Price (Im not counting Alge as a WR), who is not good enough to be a #1 WR. If they got a better talent in there, to either replace or compliment Price, Vick would have much better stats.

I agree with the first part.

Vick also relies on his athleticism too much and hasn't fully grasped the intricacies of playing the quarterback position. He hasn't really understood reads, how to get the ball in there, etc. Sometimes he just chucks the thing as hard as he can. Vick's accuracy is pretty mediocre now, as well. Who knows if that'll ever get better. That's what's holding him back as a quarterback.

I think the coaching staff is also slowly conforming itself to the "Vick Offense." They tried to make him run a West Coast Offense at the beginning of the season and then finally noticed that that is very Anti-Vick, as it dinks and dunks short passes that rely on accuracy. That's just now what Vick is good at. Vick is most dangerous outside the pocket and should be used that way. Bootlegs, rollouts, etc...where he can have the pass/run option, as well as having that option for defenses to worry about. For example, a spying LB would be frozen because he has to honor the run. Keeping Vick inside the pocket is not a great idea. Also, Vick has tremendous arm strength, so that should be utilized with a more vertical attack at times. Slower developing routes would also give him more time to get out of the pocket and perhaps make something happen with his legs if the play breaks down. Anyway, the ATL offense is finally beginning to do that with Vick and he's shown much more in the 2nd half of the season and hopefully will do more in future years for us, the fans to savor, as well.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:11 pm

warrick95 wrote:
Flux wrote:I think there is definitely an advantage to being taller, but if Vick were any taller, he wouldnt be nearly as good of a runner. So its a bit of a give/take relationship. Sure Culpepper can run, but nothing like Vick.

Vicks major problem is that his best WR is Peerless Price (Im not counting Alge as a WR), who is not good enough to be a #1 WR. If they got a better talent in there, to either replace or compliment Price, Vick would have much better stats.

I agree with the first part.

Vick also relies on his athleticism too much and hasn't fully grasped the intricacies of playing the quarterback position. He hasn't really understood reads, how to get the ball in there, etc. Sometimes he just chucks the thing as hard as he can. Vick's accuracy is pretty mediocre now, as well. Who knows if that'll ever get better. That's what's holding him back as a quarterback.

I think the coaching staff is also slowly conforming itself to the "Vick Offense." They tried to make him run a West Coast Offense at the beginning of the season and then finally noticed that that is very Anti-Vick, as it dinks and dunks short passes that rely on accuracy. That's just now what Vick is good at. Vick is most dangerous outside the pocket and should be used that way. Bootlegs, rollouts, etc...where he can have the pass/run option, as well as having that option for defenses to worry about. For example, a spying LB would be frozen because he has to honor the run. Keeping Vick inside the pocket is not a great idea. Also, Vick has tremendous arm strength, so that should be utilized with a more vertical attack at times. Slower developing routes would also give him more time to get out of the pocket and perhaps make something happen with his legs if the play breaks down. Anyway, the ATL offense is finally beginning to do that with Vick and he's shown much more in the 2nd half of the season and hopefully will do more in future years for us, the fans to savor, as well.

I totally agree. I am a big Vick fan but even I must say that he is not yet a great passer for many of the reasons you listed. His height is not a factor. One of the greatest running QB's in the past was also one of the most accurate and prolific passers and is now in the Hall of Fame and he was only 5'11' (on a fluffy hair day!). I'm talking about Fran Tarkenton. He got into the HOF far more for his passing and QB skills (reading Def., passing yards and TD's, etc) than for his running.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Calyxes » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:08 pm

what he lacks in height he makes for up in speed
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Football Talk