Colts offense is getting overhyped - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Colts offense is getting overhyped

Moderator: Football Moderators

Colts offense is getting overhyped

Postby Azrael » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Everybody seems to be way overhyping the Colts offense like they are virtually unstoppable. And Denver didn't help matters by imploding on themselves in the dome last week. Yes they scored alot of points, have all year. All those stat filled 40 point games are so fresh in your memory you forget the games they lost. I'm going to illustrate why the offense is overrated, not greatly, but overrated.

1. The Colts are a different team outside the dome, period. No questions asked.

2. The Colts played KC, SD, Oakland, Minn, Tenn (2), GB, Houston (2)...7 of the 9 WORST teams against the pass. The 2 they didn't face in the worst 9 were themselves (29) and New Orleans (28). That is an amazing stat to me.

They have this prolific offense AND got to play more than half their games against nearly the worst possible pass defenses.

Against those teams they averaged 37 points. They also were afforded the luxury of playing 2 games against 2 of the worst offenses in the league Chicago and Detroit in which they laid an even 41 points on each team.

I'm also throwing out the regular season Denver game because they didn't play anybody most of the game.

So that leaves New England, Baltimore, and Jacksonville (2). They went 2-2 in those games and I'll make an argument that Baltimore could have won that game if Kyle Boller had any inkling of how to play quarterback. In those games they averaged 23 points per game.

The argument is clear folks. The Colts faced a terribly easy pass schedule. Do not expect the Colts to just come into New England or Pittsburgh and just fire away and no one will be able to keep up. It's just not going to happen.

It may be cliche but defense does win championships and having a power running game is a huge hammer too. The Steelers and the Pats have both. I don't expect them to get by the Patriots but if they do, they will not get by the Steelers.

I expect this weekend's game to be a 24-21 game or 27-24, 28-24, something like with the Pats on top.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:01 pm

Agreed, this game will play out like the first one.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Colts offense is getting overhyped

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:05 pm

Azrael wrote:Everybody seems to be way overhyping the Colts offense like they are virtually unstoppable. And Denver didn't help matters by imploding on themselves in the dome last week. Yes they scored alot of points, have all year. All those stat filled 40 point games are so fresh in your memory you forget the games they lost. I'm going to illustrate why the offense is overrated, not greatly, but overrated.

1. The Colts are a different team outside the dome, period. No questions asked.

2. The Colts played KC, SD, Oakland, Minn, Tenn (2), GB, Houston (2)...7 of the 9 WORST teams against the pass. The 2 they didn't face in the worst 9 were themselves (29) and New Orleans (28). That is an amazing stat to me.

They have this prolific offense AND got to play more than half their games against nearly the worst possible pass defenses.

Against those teams they averaged 37 points. They also were afforded the luxury of playing 2 games against 2 of the worst offenses in the league Chicago and Detroit in which they laid an even 41 points on each team.

I'm also throwing out the regular season Denver game because they didn't play anybody most of the game.

So that leaves New England, Baltimore, and Jacksonville (2). They went 2-2 in those games and I'll make an argument that Baltimore could have won that game if Kyle Boller had any inkling of how to play quarterback. In those games they averaged 23 points per game.

The argument is clear folks. The Colts faced a terribly easy pass schedule. Do not expect the Colts to just come into New England or Pittsburgh and just fire away and no one will be able to keep up. It's just not going to happen.

It may be cliche but defense does win championships and having a power running game is a huge hammer too. The Steelers and the Pats have both. I don't expect them to get by the Patriots but if they do, they will not get by the Steelers.

I expect this weekend's game to be a 24-21 game or 27-24, 28-24, something like with the Pats on top.

I second this post, save the defense wins championships cliche. The Colts offense is overrated. I mean, with the Manning rule and all, it makes sense that they set records.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:08 pm

The Patriots are going to get a rude suprise Sunday. Is Troy Brown supposed to cover Stokely? That should be great... Law and Poole are done. Wasn't that way when they played in week 1, where they would have one had Vanderjagt not sucked.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:12 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:The Patriots are going to get a rude suprise Sunday. Is Troy Brown supposed to cover Stokely? That should be great... Law and Poole are done. Wasn't that way when they played in week 1, where they would have one had Vanderjagt not sucked.

I might agree with you had Law and Poole got injured last week. The Pats have been playing--and winning--without them for sometime now.

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:44 am

Any given Sunday. I mean, the freakin' Dolphins beat the Patriots.
All this talk about the Colts being overrated is nice and all, the arguements do hold some water. All the talk about the Pats being weaker because Poole and Law being out for Sunday's game also hold some water. Come Sunday, these questions shall be adressed, and I can't hardly wait.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:13 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:The Patriots are going to get a rude suprise Sunday. Is Troy Brown supposed to cover Stokely? That should be great... Law and Poole are done. Wasn't that way when they played in week 1, where they would have one had Vanderjagt not sucked.

I might agree with you had Law and Poole got injured last week. The Pats have been playing--and winning--without them for sometime now.

but they havent played a team where troy brown has had to cover a guy as good as stokley (maybe manning makes him good, but the point is hes good) so you cant compare this to any other team theyve played... closest team i can think of was pittsburgh, and they had some trouble with them didnt they?
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Keyser_WV » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:37 am

I don't think Indy can beat NE or PIT (pending a win).

Dwight Freeney is the best pass rusher out there in my opinion but Steelers and New England both have solid running games which pretty much takes away the only strong part of Indy's defense.

Manning may be able to carve up NE since their DB's are hurting but I think NE will RUN RUN RUN to keep Manning off the field.

I think Corey Dillon will have 125 yards rushing and probably 2 TD's.

Steelers are taking out whoever wins anyway but I can't wait to watch NE/Indy.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:03 am

well defense doesn't really "win championships" anymore than good offense do. I thought Espn's playoff cliche piece on page 2 was pretty insightful -- although I have always felt that way.

You can win the super bowl -- key word CAN, if you are truly historic on one side of the ball. I think the rams showed that you can win it by outgunning, and the ravens, bucs should if you are a total shutdown team, you can win that way. You just don't have a great margin for error.

I think the true thing is "balance" wins championships. Most of the better teams I can think of that have won recently and in the last decade strike me as pretty damn good on both sides, maybe not the best, but good.

I feel the pats/steelers fit this bill this year. I think the cowboys dynasty, the niners were like this. (even though they lost the bills were too from what I recall) Green bay, denver, you get my point.

I think that the colts are truly historic on offense. I mean, seriously three receivers with 1000 yards and double digit td's? A rb of edge's stature, and two good te's? I don't think it is overrated, I think the fanfare is more than warranted.

However, as I said in another thread, until proven otherwise, NE are still the champs. They have beaten the colts before, and I have no reason to think that they can't again. (Although this is eerily reminiscent of how eagles fans felt with drawing tampa int he championship game)

I feel any team that can make them punt half the time, and score ont hem more than half the time can beat them. You can't play field position with them, your effort can be wasted. But they seem to score on the majority of their possesions.

But both new englad and pitt can force them to punt, then keep them off the field with the run game.

Usually, this is a dangerous strategy. Because to be a TOP team, you can't just have a power run game. You also need the defense to back it up, but I feel you need a third element -- a quick strike ability of your own -- even if you don't rely on it. Otherwise, chewing clock can totally burn you against a team like indy. You can do all that work -- then BOOM, its wasted.

But Pats and Steelers have a unique combination of talent, that if they do that type of gameplan, and force indy to punt etc, but it goes wrong, they can march up the field quickly, and then go back to keeping them off the field.

I don't think any team left in the playoffs would be able to try that on them -- they would have to air it out, gamble and try to get them to turn it over. Basically everyone else's game plan HAS to be reactionary -- and against an offense like that -- its fatal.

But NE and Pitt can impose a game plan -- and that is why I think they will win. Other teams can try TACTICS -- but those teams can impose STRATEGY.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:15 am

Another plus for the Patriots: Belichick is not an idiot.

I couldn't believe Shanahan's coaching in the game. They were down--what, 21?-- and they kick the field goal. Then he trys to catch them offguard with an onside kick.

And no, this isn't just second guessing--I was screaming at the TV for him to go for it (what, are you trying to make the score less bad?).

If you think the situation is bad enough that you need to try onside kicks that early, like the Titans did, then you should be going for it on fourth down. Don't kick fieldgoals.

Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk