Colts offense is getting overhyped - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Colts offense is getting overhyped

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Colts offense is getting overhyped

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:32 am

Azrael wrote:2. The Colts played KC, SD, Oakland, Minn, Tenn (2), GB, Houston (2)...7 of the 9 WORST teams against the pass. The 2 they didn't face in the worst 9 were themselves (29) and New Orleans (28). That is an amazing stat to me.

They have this prolific offense AND got to play more than half their games against nearly the worst possible pass defenses.

Against those teams they averaged 37 points. They also were afforded the luxury of playing 2 games against 2 of the worst offenses in the league Chicago and Detroit in which they laid an even 41 points on each team.

A lot of teams played against these weak defenses and did not put up near the numbers that the Colts did. The Colts offense is good like no other! Maybe Minnesota and Kansas City are close when everyone is healthy, but that's it. A lot of teams also played N.E., Baltimore, Jax and did not come close to scoring 23 points. Admit it already! This is not overhype!

This doesn't mean that I guarantee that the Colts will beat the Pats or that I necessarilly say that the Colts will win it all. I want them to win, but I understand that N.E., Pitt, and NY are good teams and it will be a tough road, but please do not say the Colts' offense is overhyped or overated.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:51 am

"And no, this isn't just second guessing--I was screaming at the TV for him to go for it (what, are you trying to make the score less bad?)."

that is exactly right. so many people are locked into "conventional wisdom" it is sickening. my boss is of that mindset. I still remember the day belicheck took the safety on purpose. he was second guessing that to no end. Even though it makes perfect sense.

I think its that way with the colts. You simply have to change your thinking. That field goal was stupid. I admired the titans for trying the onside kicks -- if your d sucks, you are almost better off giving them the short field -- at least you conserve time for yourself.

It seems to me that in terms of a strategic game you have things basically boil down to: score, field position, time, intiative. You might have to trade an advantage somewhere to beat the colts.

I think from your own 40 on, you go for it all the time against them (unless you are the pats/steelers). why not?
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Football Newbie » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:53 pm

i believe the colts beat the living piss out of the broncos last week and they have a VERY good defense.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby King Colt » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:18 pm

I just don't see how you can call the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL overrated. They are rated exactly where they should be - as the best of the best. They deserve all the accolades that come with it.

I'm looking forward to a good game against the Pats this Sunday. I feel that we're better than at the beginning of the season and they are a bit worse (especially compared to last seasons SuperBowl team).

I also don't buy the bull about the Colts playing poorly outside. That team shows up to play anywhere, anytime.
King Colt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:33 pm

The Pats running game is the absolute key to this game. If the Colts improved (not great) D can keep Dillon in check enough then they will win. Manning will be able to get the ball to all of his receivers, not just Stokely. Samuel on Harrison: adv Harrison. Gay on Wayne: big adv Wayne. Brown on Stokely: big adv Stokely. And don't forget Edge who can do just about anything and the Pats haven't been known for run D this year. I am excitedly looking forward to seeing what gimmicky D Bellichick comes up with to try and camoflage weaknesses (ala no D-line against Miami for a couple of plays). I really like the Colts to beat the Pats, no disespect to the Champs but facts are facts.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:33 pm

with besically half the pat's secondary out, i expect the colts passing game to tear it up. i think they really have achance at winning this game.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:29 pm

You know how I love to say I told you so. TOLD YOU SO.

Great defense beats a great offense most of the time. Pats prove it yet again. Manning feasted on weak Ds all year. Oh-ver-RATE-d.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:36 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:The Patriots are going to get a rude suprise Sunday. Is Troy Brown supposed to cover Stokely? That should be great... Law and Poole are done. Wasn't that way when they played in week 1, where they would have one had Vanderjagt not sucked.

I might agree with you had Law and Poole got injured last week. The Pats have been playing--and winning--without them for sometime now.

but they havent played a team where troy brown has had to cover a guy as good as stokley (maybe manning makes him good, but the point is hes good) so you cant compare this to any other team theyve played... closest team i can think of was pittsburgh, and they had some trouble with them didnt they?

I would say Troy Brown had a pretty good game, wouldn't you? ;-)
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:44 pm

the "great defense" adage is sometimes overwrought. the great teams in recent memory were all pretty damn balanced. Yea, the buc, ravens were all d. but the rams were all o. the pats, niners, cowboys, packers of recent memory were pretty good on both sides of the ball. I think that is more the norm than anything else.

the pats always seem in the upper half of both sides. quite an organization.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:02 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:The Patriots are going to get a rude suprise Sunday. Is Troy Brown supposed to cover Stokely? That should be great... Law and Poole are done. Wasn't that way when they played in week 1, where they would have one had Vanderjagt not sucked.

I might agree with you had Law and Poole got injured last week. The Pats have been playing--and winning--without them for sometime now.

but they havent played a team where troy brown has had to cover a guy as good as stokley (maybe manning makes him good, but the point is hes good) so you cant compare this to any other team theyve played... closest team i can think of was pittsburgh, and they had some trouble with them didnt they?

I would say Troy Brown had a pretty good game, wouldn't you? ;-)

not really. the win can be attributed to the outstanding play from the linebackers and all the dropped passes from the colts (i.e. dallas clark, stokley) i dont think brown stood out. i didnt watch the 4th Q tho.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk