2005 RB rankings on Fanball.com - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2005 RB rankings on Fanball.com

Moderator: Football Moderators

2005 RB rankings on Fanball.com

Postby Keyser_WV » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:52 am

This article is from Ted Carlson from Fanball.com

His 2004 opinions are noted before the rankings if you want to read it.

http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm/ID.3330

As stated in my quarterback article, a lot is going to change over the next eight months. Free agent signings, trades, and the draft will alter many situations and rankings, but here's the way I see things right now.

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers: Brees? Rivers? It doesn't matter, L.T. is tops.
2. Priest Holmes, Chiefs: This is how much the Larry Johnson committee news scares me right now.
3. Shaun Alexander, FA: He could drop as low as six or seven if I don't like where he signs.
4. Edgerrin James, Colts/FA: The Colts will likely franchise Edge, and he'll score more when Peyton throws only 35-40 touchdowns next season.
5. Willis McGahee, Bills: You gotta love the late season numbers. Gotta, I say!
6. Corey Dillon, Patriots: I see no reason not to expect at least another 1,300 and 10.
7. Domanick Davis, Texans: His nine-game scoring streak is still fresh in my mind.
8. Jamal Lewis, Ravens: I want to be onboard when Jamal thinks he's got something to prove.
9. Tiki Barber, Giants: Tiki is a good bust candidate, but the offensive line should be better.
10. Clinton Portis, Redskins: Gibbs' schemes and Portis' style will mesh better in year two.
11. Ahman Green, Packers: It looks like 2003 was a fluke, but Ahman still belongs right around here.
12. Deuce McAllister, Saints: His bad ankles concern me, but I don't see anyone below here I'd rather have.
13. Rudi Johnson, FA: I believe he'll be back in Cincy, and Rudi proved himself this past season.
14. Curtis Martin, Jets: Can he do it again at 32 and after a career-high 371 carries? I don't want to be holding C-Mart when the end suddenly hits.
15. Kevin Jones, Lions: I like the Lions' offensive line and the way this entire offense is heading.
16. Julius Jones, Cowboys: Conversely, the Cowboys' offense and offensive line do not impress me.
17. Chris Brown, Titans: (Expletive) (expletive) Brown and his (expletive) inability to stay (expletive) healthy.
18. Tatum Bell, Broncos: Tatum isn't exactly the poster boy for health, either. I might move him up once (if?) he officially wins the job.
19. Fred Taylor, Jaguars: We can only hope the Jags' next offensive coordinator trusts Taylor near the goal line.
20. Thomas Jones, Bears: Lovie Smith plans to feature the running game, and hopefully their offensive line and quarterback can stay healthy.
21. Brian Westbrook, Eagles/FA: I'm a noted Rabbit fan, but I have a feeling that the Eagles will add a big back during free agency or the draft. This ranking might look high when that happens.
22. Kevan Barlow, 49ers: Yes, I'm an apologist. The young offensive linemen will (in theory) be better and stud center Jeremy Newberry will play more than one game.
23. Lee Suggs, Browns: I'm hoping GM Phil Savage and the new coach eliminate the committee approach. Of course, Suggs also carries injury concerns.
24. Steven Jackson, Rams: Remember when Kurt Warner started over Marc Bulger at the beginning of 2003? Mike Martz doesn't pass the torch easily.
25. Duce Staley/Jerome Bettis, Steelers: Assuming Bettis doesn't retire, the Steelers will enter the season with the same yardage/touchdown committee.

Caveat Back: Larry Johnson, Chiefs: The team that selects Holmes will have to grab Johnson before 25 running backs are gone, as I guarantee you that some other owner in your league will get cute and swipe your handcuff. Were I to run a mock draft, Johnson would be selected before some of the guys above, but I figured keeping him out of that list would be more helpful.

Bust: Michael Pittman, Buccaneers: He had 1,317 total yards and 10 total touchdowns in 13 games, but I have absolutely no faith in this guy.

Sleeper (1): Travis Henry, Bills: I was tempted to put Henry in my top 25, and he'll be there if (or when) he's traded and gets a starting job. He's not done.

Sleeper (2): Raiders Rookie RB: "With the number seven pick in the draft, the Oakland Raiders select [insert stud rookie here]." Or so I hope. Norv Turner knows running games, and I believe there's enough talent along that offensive line.

Sleeper (3): Michael Vick, Falcons: Any chance the Falcons let Matt Schaub do the passing and turn Vick into just a runner? Again, I'm just hoping.

That concludes another fun-filled recap/preview article, and I'll be back again next week to discuss the wide receivers. And as an appetizer, I can tell you that I already have two huge busts picked out, and the choices won't please Titan and Panther owners.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cruiz03 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:14 am

I like your listing but feel that you have Willis WAY to high. IMO Kevin Jones will be as good as Willis next year. Just look at this years numbers and you'll see that he had MORE success that Willis did with less touches.

Good list though!
cruiz03
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Atog » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:24 am

cruiz03 wrote:I like your listing but feel that you have Willis WAY to high. IMO Kevin Jones will be as good as Willis next year. Just look at this years numbers and you'll see that he had MORE success that Willis did with less touches.

Good list though!

he's quoting an article there, it's not his choices.

I'm suprised that Warrick Dunn didn't make the list. He hit a big slump during the season and Vick definetly steals rushing yards from him, but the Falcons still had the statistically best rushing offense and Dunn was just devastating the last few weeks when Duckett was out.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Evolution » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:33 am

Wow, there's around 20 RBs I really would not mind having on my roster next season. The depth has really improved the last few seasons.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:39 am

Fanball.com wrote:25. Duce Staley/Jerome Bettis, Steelers: Assuming Bettis doesn't retire, the Steelers will enter the season with the same yardage/touchdown committee.

I don't like this. It's like their dodging something here. You are not going to take both backs and start them to equal one stud so where do you rank them? Is Bettis better or Staley?

You don't get to rank RBs like this:

1.) Priest/LJ
14.) C-Mart/Lamont Jordan
18.) T. Bell/8 other guys
20.) T. Jones/A-Train

So why would you do it for Bettis/Duce?

That is my only comment. Thanks for posting their list though.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:45 pm

I can't believe westbrook was so low on the list. I'd picture him at #10.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Atog » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:49 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:I can't believe westbrook was so low on the list. I'd picture him at #10.

but they did say why he's so low.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:51 pm

id drop SA to at least 8 if he goes somewhere with a weak line. i dont like the bettis-staley ranking either, for the same reason that kevinoc stated. its interesting seeing these projections and comparing them to out mock draft going on in the cafe right now. :-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Calyxes » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:03 pm

I like it, I have 3 of the top 16 RB's on my team
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Lung » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:24 pm

Atog wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:I can't believe westbrook was so low on the list. I'd picture him at #10.

but they did say why he's so low.

Which was:

21. Brian Westbrook, Eagles/FA: I'm a noted Rabbit fan, but I have a feeling that the Eagles will add a big back during free agency or the draft. This ranking might look high when that happens.

Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy talk? With Correll Buckhalter returning and the depth in Dorsey Levens, T. Tapeh, and R. Mahe, the last thing the Eagles need is another running back.

I see the Eagles drafting an elite wide reciever to play opposite of Terrell Owens. After T.O., the corp of Pinkston, Mitchell and Lewis is one of the worst in the league and their biggest weakness.

In the only two 2005 mock drafts I've seen, DraftInsiders.com did predict that the Eagles would draft power tailback Ronnie Brown from Auburn, but the DraftKing 2005 Mock had the Eagles taking DT Shaun Cody from USC.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Next

Return to Football Talk