Randy Moss the Greatest NFL Player of All time - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Randy Moss the Greatest NFL Player of All time

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby nickjumpman » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:37 pm

This post was not a "I love the vikings thread". In fact my favorite team is the Dolphins. Haha.

Anyways, all I was trying to do was point out how amazing Randy is, not the Vikings as a whole.
nickjumpman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:41 pm

kevinoc81 wrote:
Carolina Culpepper wrote:
Goatwhacker wrote:
Carolina Culpepper wrote: I say this while acknowledging that he will never catch most of Rice's stats because, unlike Rice, he won't make a fool of himself by playing way past his prime.

Nope, he'll stick to making a fool of himself in other ways.

As soon as I wrote that I knew I left myself open to that kind of response - touche'. Let me re-write that - I acknowledge that he will never catch most of Rice's stats because, unlike Rice, he doesn't have the desire to play way past his prime. There, like that better!

Do you and Randy Moss talk on a regular basis?

1.) I think the whole basis of this post says that Randy had better catch some of Rice's stats.

2.) We, at this moment have no idea when Randy's "prime" is going to end and how long he is going to play.

Picky, Picky, no I can't say that I have talked with Randy any time lately so let me change that to say that "I don't think" Randy will play way past his prime. As to #1 let me repeat my arguement that I continue to make and since you appear to be a Bears fan let me state it this way. Do you think that Emmitt Smith is better than Walter Payton? Emmitt has better stats in every catagory and since it is impossible for him to catch Emmitt in any of those stats I guess we can't believe that Payton is better if I use your logic. As for #2 I guess I already addressed that but do you think Moss will be playing when he is in his upper 30's, I don't. But that is just an opinion.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:51 pm

Do I think Randy Moss is the greatest player in NFL history, no. Best ever at the WR position, no. I don't like the guy, but Rice is the man. Until Moss can start approching some of Rice's records, doesn't have to break them, he then could be mentioned as the best WR of all time.
Shall I start a thread on how I think Shaun Alexander should be the best RB of all time cause of his current stats. NO.
Also rings have never counted in my book as to who was/is the best. This is a team sport and without all the pieces on your team, you may never get a ring. Barry Sander, Dan Marino, heck even Elway was an awsome QB before he won those two rings. If you don't have a ring, it just means that your team was never good enough to win it all.
End of disscussion.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Randy Moss the Greatest NFL Player of All time

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:10 pm

nickjumpman wrote:Just to end this post I am willing to accept these other players as greatest of all time if you really think they are:

1) Jim Brown
2) Barry Sanders
3) Joe Montana
4) Marino
5) Elway
6) Unitas
7) Gus Ferrote

Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:29 pm

so then no ring doesn't mean a coach wasn't great then. after all, you can only do so much with a bad team -- your gm gives you your team right?

puhleeze.

funny how shanhan don't look to good now. What has it been? 6 years post elway since he has won a playoff game? They have maintained their talents in other pahses of the game.

Yea, it si a team sport. That colors any part of the debate. But any great player is going to have soem say in that success. In fact he has more to say about it.

It has to be a way of looking at it. sdid sucky teammates hold him back, or did he fail to elevate.

Rings aren't the SOLE discussion, but they are in it. If you don't think it is relevant at all, look in new england. By all accounts, bledsoe was the "better" player. Well guess what? maybe he wasn't. The team wasn;t that different between the two...

I'd say that brady is the better qb, even if he isn't as statistically dominant as bledsoe was. There are other things than stats, and that is why people like me bring this up time and time again.

We will put it this way -- you generally don't hear about "strength of schedule" in the playoffs like you do for the regular season.

At least you know people aren;t beating up on comepletely crummy teams.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:32 pm

Let me answer it this way:

Was (is) Emmitt Smith a great running back? Yes. Was Walter Payton a great RB? Yes. Did I see Walter do some amazing things? Yes. Did I see Emmitt do some amazing things? Yes. Did Emmitt break Payton's record? Yes.

Do I like Payton more than Emmitt? Yes.

Never in my life would I have said 5, 6, or 7 years into Payton's career that he was a better RB than Jim Brown, and especially wouldn't have started saying he was the best player of all time.

I understand why you like Randy more than Rice and that's fine with me. Like it or not though, stats are what we use to judge and Randy is not even close.

You have to admit that it would be pretty hard to make a case for any player to be the "greatest player ever" if there were 20 people with more yards than that person and 7 people with more touchdowns than that person at their respective position. Those are the stats right now. I'm not saying Randy has to break every single record, but he's got to get a lot closer than the top 25 in yards and the top 8 in TDs. He should be at least 2nd or 3rd in every category to be the "best player ever."

As I said earlier, I don't question why you like Moss better, but I don't like to hear about players being the best ever until we see their entire career and what they accomplished.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Randy Moss the Greatest NFL Player of All time

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:37 pm

Nilmerf wrote:
nickjumpman wrote:Just to end this post I am willing to accept these other players as greatest of all time if you really think they are:

1) Jim Brown
2) Barry Sanders
3) Joe Montana
4) Marino
5) Elway
6) Unitas
7) Gus Ferrote

Wow, I'm laughing my ass off. I didn't even catch that. I just went along with the rest of the pointless rambling...

That is fricken hilarious.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:43 pm

kevinoc81 wrote:Let me answer it this way:

Was (is) Emmitt Smith a great running back? Yes. Was Walter Payton a great RB? Yes. Did I see Walter do some amazing things? Yes. Did I see Emmitt do some amazing things? Yes. Did Emmitt break Payton's record? Yes.

Do I like Payton more than Emmitt? Yes.

Never in my life would I have said 5, 6, or 7 years into Payton's career that he was a better RB than Jim Brown, and especially wouldn't have started saying he was the best player of all time.

I understand why you like Randy more than Rice and that's fine with me. Like it or not though, stats are what we use to judge and Randy is not even close.

You have to admit that it would be pretty hard to make a case for any player to be the "greatest player ever" if there were 20 people with more yards than that person and 7 people with more touchdowns than that person at their respective position. Those are the stats right now. I'm not saying Randy has to break every single record, but he's got to get a lot closer than the top 25 in yards and the top 8 in TDs. He should be at least 2nd or 3rd in every category to be the "best player ever."

As I said earlier, I don't question why you like Moss better, but I don't like to hear about players being the best ever until we see their entire career and what they accomplished.

Actually I somewhat agree. In the words of Richard Millhouse Nixon, "let me be perfectly clear" here - I do not think Moss is the best over-all player ever as the starter of this thread believes, I don't think that we can say yet that he is the best WR ever, I believe he is the best right now, and I think that after 7 years you can begin to make some educated predictions and what you see is that at this point he has better stats than any WR ever, including Rice, so it is certainly debatable, but not in any way ridiculous to say that he could become the best ever, the most likely candidate of any current recievers. Do you realize how amazing it is that at the age of 27 and after only 7 years in the league, just entering his prime, for him to already be in the top 10 career wise for TD's and top 20 for yards? That in itself rather than disqualify him for best ever, qualifies him to be talked about in the same breath as the best.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby CC » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:47 pm

I'm just counting the days til the offseason.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:52 pm

I about fell out of my chair when I saw Gus Frerotte's name on that list. That was hilarious.

I think before Moss can be the best to ever play the game, he should be the best at his position. He has a long way to go before he takes that from Rice. And he has some current tough company between Owens and Harrison.

Statistically now, Moss has had amazing TD totals. One thing that amazes me that he has only had two 100 catch seasons though. Harrison has 4. Owens only has 1.

I would say he could be one of the best ever to play WR. But at this point of his career, I am not ready to call him that.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk