What was your video game of choice growing up? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

What was your video game of choice growing up?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:01 pm

Top 10 list for NES...

10. Excitebike
9. Zelda
8. Tecmo Bowl
7. Contra
6. Mega Man 3
5. TMNT2: the Arcade Game (or any TMNT games)
4. Double Dragon 3
3. Mike Tyson's Punch Out
2. Battletoads
1. Genghis Khan

Honorable mention:All 3 Super Mario Bros. I didn't want to list them in the Top 10 because everyone does, but they definitely belong among the best games for the system.

Snake Rattle 'n Roll. One of the most unknown games for the NES (along with Genghis Khan) but definitely alot of fun

Metroid. It's confusing maps and difficulty kept it out of the top 10, but it's still a classic.

Ninja Gaiden. One of the hardest (but best) games of all time.

Prince of Persia. It's graphics and animation were revolutionary.

Smash TV. What's better than killing hundreds and hundreds of people in glorious fashion? Big money! Big prizes! I love it!

Spy Hunter. One of the best original driving/action games.

Super Off-Road. Was just fun.

Tiger Heli.

Favorite games for SNES...

battletoads in battlemaniacs
blackthorne
chrono trigger
contra 3: the alien wars
final fight
illusion of gaia
killer instinct
lemmings
legend of zelda: a link to the past
the lost vikings
rock n roll racing
secret of mana
star fox
street fighter 2: turbo edition
super double dragon
super mario world
super metroid
super punch out
TMNT4: Turtles in Time
TMNT: Tournament Fighters

I haven't made my list of favorite PS1 and PS2 games yet, but they are definitely going to include Resident Evil (the original), THe entire Silent Hill series, the entire Grand Theft Auto series, Final Fantasy 7, 8 and X and of course Madden.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:53 pm

OK here are mine:

Punchout
Most football ones: Madden, John Elway, Tecmo Bowl, Super Tecmo Bowl
OK most sports ones...

I never got into the other ones as much, or the shoot em up ones...

But sports ones I loved!
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:11 pm

punchout was the best.

i just went out and found a nes and bought it and punchout just because i missed it so much. tyson still kicked the crao out of me :-o 8-o :-o :~(
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:01 am

deluxe_247 wrote:punchout was the best.

i just went out and found a nes and bought it and punchout just because i missed it so much. tyson still kicked the crao out of me :-o 8-o :-o :~(

Yeah if you can survive the first 90 seconds against Tyson you have a decent chance to get by him..

I remember those characters you had to fight...Glass Joe, Bald Bull, Piston Hurricane, Don Flamenco...Man those were some good times playing that game. I still remember beating Tyson when I was growing up, that was about the best feeling in the world!
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:46 am

Ring King and Blades of Steel(arcade version). When i was in High school we would skip 5th and 6th hour, go to the arcade and have tournaments on both Ring and Blades, those were the days.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:49 pm

I also remember for my NES that I had Blades of Steel was fun, also the Ice hockey where you were one of 6 countries.

As for the hoops games I had and loved Double Dribble, Archrivals (where you could beat the heck outta the guy and slide on spilled drinks) and NBA Jam...

Those were pretty fun too.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:58 pm

Blades of steel, and the greatest game of all time (for its time): Super Mario RPG
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:14 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:punchout was the best.

Yeah if you can survive the first 90 seconds against Tyson you have a decent chance to get by him..

I remember those characters you had to fight...Glass Joe, Bald Bull, Piston Hurricane, Don Flamenco...Man those were some good times playing that game. I still remember beating Tyson when I was growing up, that was about the best feeling in the world!

The trick to beating Tyson is realizing that when you hit left or right to dodge, that you can also hit left or right to move back into position as soon as Tyson throws his punch. This gets you in position quicker so that you can counter punch. That and tiger-like reflexes and Tyson is beatable. It's funny how Tyson was head and shoulders harder than every other character in the game.

Oh i used to love that game growing up...
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:49 am

Yeah, I remember trying to get the timing of his swings down, and watching him for hints on when to move...Good stuff! I may have to go get again. I loved that game!
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:17 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:007-373-5963

The code to face Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punchout for the NES. Always a classic. I remember when that game first came out in 1987, it took me forever just to get to Tyson and once I got to him it was virtually impossible to beat him. Heck, I could barely get past Mr. Sandman and Super Macho Man, let alone Tyson! 8-o

don flamenco(the 2nd time) always pissed me off. i remember him always blocking everything, then you had to hit him just right to get a star. i always thought he was a little on the gay side also 8-o

Don Flamenco 2nd version is pretty easy...all you have to do is wait for his first little jabby punch at the beginning, dodge it, hit him twice in the face, then almost immediately go for a body shot - because while you're trying to punch him he goes for another jabby punch thing and you'll get a star. Then after you hit him in the stomach, almost immediately go for a head shot - because while you're trying to punch him he goes for a sweepy head punch, and you'll get a star. You can do this until you're full of stars and then just kick the living crap out of him when he starts making you punch at him in order for him to try to uppercut you. He loses about 1/3 of his energy on a star punch.

The only person I cannot star on is Mr. Sandman - I defy anyone to tell me how I can get a star on him...I seriously think it's impossible. Everything works off a head shot and then body shots...you can't delay punch him on sweep punches, you don't get stars when you hit him in the head while he's doing his "i'm going to spin my gloves and then hit you" crap, he dodges when you try to hit him in the head on any counter.

I know I pulled up an old post, but I just wanted to tell you about Flamenco. ;-D

Oh, and if you hit the 2nd Piston Honda in the stomach while he is coming at you for his first charge attack at 1:00, he'll get KO'ed dang near every time. :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games