It Ain't [expletive] - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

It Ain't [expletive]

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:04 am

Seriously this is a game guys. If TD celebrations are cut out or fined or players suspended its a joke. The guys who should be fined or suspended should be the guy who sacks the qb when his team is down by 21 jumps up and celebrates, now thats a joke and should be fined. For as long as i have football, since the early 70s players have scored tds celebrated and no one has died or been hurt. To me its part of the game always has been always will. Just my 2 cents.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: fines

Postby brewmaniac » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:17 am

deluxe_247 wrote:
Daddymike59 wrote:No way suspensions should ever be mandatory for ones expressing themselves. He didn't bare his ass he didn't flip the crowd off he made a subliminal message. We are close to getting into a political debate here over the right to express yourself. The fine was just to let Moss know that the League recognized his act and didn't appriciate it not like punishment. Maybe Lambeau Leapers should be fined as well...

last time i checked i wasnt allowed to express myself about everything i wanted at my job. dont forget that playing football is their job. if i did something unexeceptable at my job i would expect to repremanded regardless of my "rights"

Very good point Deluxe!

Also, if they are going to fine them, then fine them. $10 grand to a guy who makes nearly $6 million a year is like fining a regular joe $35.00 for the same thing, based on a salary of $35,000.00 a year. I mean come on. That's a slap on the wrist. It's not going to deter anything.

If they fined his ass $500K or called back the play like it was a penalty he wouldn't run his mouth so much.
brewmaniac
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:34 am

All I know is that if I was Randy I would double the fine and donate it to the "SOONAMI" fund (tsunami), think about it.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby defianthart » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:29 am

deluxe_247 wrote:
Daddymike59 wrote:No way suspensions should ever be mandatory for ones expressing themselves. He didn't bare his ass he didn't flip the crowd off he made a subliminal message. We are close to getting into a political debate here over the right to express yourself. The fine was just to let Moss know that the League recognized his act and didn't appriciate it not like punishment. Maybe Lambeau Leapers should be fined as well...

last time i checked i wasnt allowed to express myself about everything i wanted at my job. dont forget that playing football is their job. if i did something unexeceptable at my job i would expect to repremanded regardless of my "rights"

first of all you arent playing a game as a job... there are very few comparisons i think you could make between an office environment and a football field. if youre playing a pickup game with a bunch of friends youre gonna celebrate after a TD, even rub in it. randy moss did the same thing. second of all, it wasnt even that bad. he faked mooned the crowd [sarcasm]oooooo he bent over and pretended to slide his pants down his legs but didnt really do anything[/sarcasm]. i could see what people were freaking out about if he actually mooned the crowd but he didnt. i thought the "dance" was original and clever.
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:10 pm

I'm fine with the celebrations at this point. I could see someone potentially going over the line but since celebrations have been around forever and it hasn't happened, I doubt it will. But if the league wants to cut down on celebrations then they can just tighten up the excessive celebration unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and let the team suffer and let them tell the player how they feel about it.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:39 pm

I loved Candy's response to the fine. He said something along the lines of "What's 10 grand to me"? and "Maybe next time I'll shake my $@#! at 'em" He was laughing all the time. I don't have the big of a problem with Moss's actions. The reporters were having fun and he wasn't ducking them. I have more respect for Moss standing there and, albiet crude, kidding around. I just want the NFL and Buck to "lighten up Francis" (for all you Stripes fans.)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:40 pm

i tell you what, if they are going to be hihg-horse about it, packers should have been fined for the behavior of their fans, and the nfl should make it clear that for the next contract and idealogue like buck can't act like that.

I don;t really care, and I don't like moss very much. I was annoyed when I heard about it. But then, the truth comes out about GB fans. Why not comment on air? Certianly some there had to know this, it wasn't some big secret apparently.

So Moss takes the fall for doing something that upon further review is no different than anyone else.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:17 pm

Daddymike59 wrote: We are close to getting into a political debate here over the right to express yourself.

The "freedom of speech" argument has no place at all here. The Bill of Rights guarantees that the government will not abridge your freedom of speech. The government has not and will not abridge Randy Moss' freedom of speech. His employer on the other hand has no responsiblity to provide Moss a forum to express his views. Moss also has a responsibility to represent the NFL well while acting as an employee and if he does not, will bear the consequences.

This came up a lot with the Dixie Chicks making the anti-Bush comments, then a lot of radio stations refused to play them for a while. The Dixie Chicks can say whatever they want, but have to accept the consequences of their words, and the radio stations have no responsibility to provide them a forum.

eaglesrule wrote:i tell you what, if they are going to be hihg-horse about it, packers should have been fined for the behavior of their fans, and the nfl should make it clear that for the next contract and idealogue like buck can't act like that.

I don;t really care, and I don't like moss very much. I was annoyed when I heard about it. But then, the truth comes out about GB fans. Why not comment on air? Certianly some there had to know this, it wasn't some big secret apparently.

So Moss takes the fall for doing something that upon further review is no different than anyone else.

No different than anyone else? Most fans do not moon the opposing team and most players do not pretend to moon the crowd. As far as the mooning not being a big secret, I've been a Packer fan for about 25 years, and this is the first I've heard of it. I've had a couple of friends who worked at Lambeau, and they never mentioned it. Maybe ESPN and Joe Buck (who I have no great love for) knew about it, maybe not.

deluxe_247 wrote:i hate to think about how bad it might get in the future if something isnt done now. i can just imagine whole teams correographing celebrations. i mean, im not so much against some of them, but there has to be a limit, and if one cant be set, then they need to be stricter enforcing players not doing them at all.

Actually the whole team doing choreographed celebrations started to some extent with the Redskins back in the 80's (I think). One guy would score a touchdown, then a bunch of players would gather (some coming from the sidelines) and do a little skit or dance they worked out during the week. Finally the league decided to ban excessive celebration. These same debates went on then too, with one side saying it was entertaining and the other saying it was egotistical, unsportsmanlike and annoying.

I have no problem with spontaneous celebrations that reflect a player's excitement (heck maybe it was spontaneous on Moss' part), but pre-planned acts just seem dumb to me. It's too much like Sally Field saying "you like me, you really like me" at the Academy Awards - you feel like telling them to get a grip and get over themselves.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:49 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:I have no problem with spontaneous celebrations that reflect a player's excitement (heck maybe it was spontaneous on Moss' part), but pre-planned acts just seem dumb to me.

I agree exactly what Goatwhacker said. If it is spontaneous celebration, then I think it is OK. Spike the ball, do a dance, do "the sprinkler" , are all OK with me. But this Sharpie, cell phone, mooning, pompom crud need to go.

By the way, what is a "Goatwhacker"......oh never mind. :-o
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby chcbb » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:38 pm

man i hate joe buck. and all of the hop on the morality bandwagon sportswriters/announcers. it's just so hypocritical. randy moss pretending to moon a rival crowd in a big game; oh no! especially when the nfl is driven by mass advertising of sex and booze which is forced down fans throats every game. hmm, whats worse i wonder?? ok i'll stop venting now, or else i'm going to start making this into a political thing... football is a game people; more people should treat it that way.
chcbb
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk