It Ain't [expletive] - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

It Ain't [expletive]

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mtryanks12 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:40 pm

No way should suspensions be mandatory. Randy Moss shoudln't have even been fined for his act. I mean, other than Joe Buck, who really cares about what he did??
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: fines

Postby MadScott » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:50 pm

SeaWolf wrote:
Goatwhacker wrote:I have no problem with spontaneous celebrations that reflect a player's excitement (heck maybe it was spontaneous on Moss' part), but pre-planned acts just seem dumb to me.

I agree exactly what Goatwhacker said. If it is spontaneous celebration, then I think it is OK. Spike the ball, do a dance, do "the sprinkler" , are all OK with me. But this Sharpie, cell phone, mooning, pompom crud need to go.

By the way, what is a "Goatwhacker"......oh never mind. :-o
I couldn't agree more with you guys on the virtue of spontaneous celebration, the trouble is, too many of the other guys have ruined it now. Thanks to the TOs and Candy Mosss of the NFL, as well as many others, celebration has been taken to a new and, IMO, unsightly low. I do think it's heavy handed for the NFL to be against the celebration of a defensive player who just ran a fumble recovery back in for a touchdown but then you get the clowns that have a whole choreographed dance that they've put together that is seen many times through the year. I think the whole "look at me" aspect that this portrays is a joke. It's also setting a bad example for future generations of NFLers who are going to see these antics and emulate them.

What gripes me also about the Randy and TOs out there is that they don't think that they have to answer to anyone. Of course this is by fault of what the NFL has created. Look at an issue like drug use in the NFL. A layman who uses or distributes drugs is going to receive some kind of punishment whether monetary or punitive in nature. When was the last time you saw an NFLer fail a drug test and get sent to the pokey? They are held above the law and out of reach of everyone in their minds.

As a 49er fan, I used to detest Emmitt Smith and the Dallas Cowboys, especially during their Super Bowl runs. That being said, I respected the hell out of him for the class individual that he was when making a big play or scoring. Too bad that some of the current NFLers wouldn't learn a little bit of professionalism as well.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:23 pm

Lets knock off this "it's only a game" crud. Seems to me players only use that line when it suits them. Other wise it's a business. If it's only a game, why must I pay outlandish money for decent seats? Why are they paid millions of dollars, if it's a game?
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby defianthart » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:00 pm

MadScott wrote:What gripes me also about the Randy and TOs out there is that they don't think that they have to answer to anyone. Of course this is by fault of what the NFL has created. Look at an issue like drug use in the NFL. A layman who uses or distributes drugs is going to receive some kind of punishment whether monetary or punitive in nature. When was the last time you saw an NFLer fail a drug test and get sent to the pokey? They are held above the law and out of reach of everyone in their minds.

well technically failing a drug test isnt illegal, so a layman wouldnt be going to jail either. now if a player is caught using or distributing then that player will go to jail. if you dont think thats going on go visit jamal lewis this spring... i cant remember a recent case where a NFL player got out of something based solely on the fact that theyre a NFL player, and with some of the crazy fines ive seen given out by the NFL(i.e. $10,000 fines for wearing the wrong colored socks) i dont think any player thinks theyre totally above the rules set forth by the NFL, or the US govt for that matter. one more thing, there are arrogant players in every sport i can think of so i wouldnt say Moss' and TO's attitudes are created by the NFL.
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MadScott » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:29 pm

defianthart wrote:
MadScott wrote:What gripes me also about the Randy and TOs out there is that they don't think that they have to answer to anyone. Of course this is by fault of what the NFL has created. Look at an issue like drug use in the NFL. A layman who uses or distributes drugs is going to receive some kind of punishment whether monetary or punitive in nature. When was the last time you saw an NFLer fail a drug test and get sent to the pokey? They are held above the law and out of reach of everyone in their minds.

well technically failing a drug test isnt illegal, so a layman wouldnt be going to jail either. now if a player is caught using or distributing then that player will go to jail. if you dont think thats going on go visit jamal lewis this spring... i cant remember a recent case where a NFL player got out of something based solely on the fact that theyre a NFL player, and with some of the crazy fines ive seen given out by the NFL(i.e. $10,000 fines for wearing the wrong colored socks) i dont think any player thinks theyre totally above the rules set forth by the NFL, or the US govt for that matter. one more thing, there are arrogant players in every sport i can think of so i wouldnt say Moss' and TO's attitudes are created by the NFL.
I shouldn't say unequivacally that a layman would go to jail for failing a drug test but you can't unequivacally say that they couldn't under varying circumstances either. You don't think that there aren't daily occurences where NFL players get caught on some minor infraction and get a pass? I would be curious to know how many times these guys have gotten out of trouble just because of their "celebrity" status. Tell me what would happen to you if you were to bump into a police officer with your car like Randy Moss did. You'd be spending time under the jailhouse. As far as J Lew goes, he got a slap on the wrist from the legal system. I'd be interested to see what other people that have committed the same offense receive as a sentence that don't have his status.

I'll agree with you though that these problems aren't solely in the NFL. Atblete's all over have this attitude. Heck, look at the guys from the US that were in the Men's in Olympic 100 M sprint during this past year, mugging for the camera and whatnot with the race still under way.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:46 pm

Don't wanna see him dance? Don't let him score.

The issue shouldn't be toning down celebrations in the endzone. The issue should be eliminating celebrations after tackling a RB who got 4 yards on you on a 2nd and 5.

Now that's excessive.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:12 pm

awwchrist wrote:Don't wanna see him dance? Don't let him score.

The issue shouldn't be toning down celebrations in the endzone. The issue should be eliminating celebrations after tackling a RB who got 4 yards on you on a 2nd and 5.

Now that's excessive.

You're right on that one. It is a league wide problem but to be honest with you it is almost worst with the poorest defenses. Its like they so rarely make a play that when they finally do they over-react. Unfortunately the Vikings Defense is one of the worst at this. I would get so frustrated watching them give up lead after lead and big play after big play. Then when it really didn't matter they would sack the QB or something and dance around like they won the Super Bowl. It makes me want to throw up sometimes. Gets me way more frustrated than some of the stuff Moss does or even TO.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby CC » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:29 pm

I totally agree about how the worst defences love to celebrate the most. I've had more than my fill of Nick Barnett getting his freak on.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby defianthart » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:35 pm

MadScott wrote:
defianthart wrote:

I shouldn't say unequivacally that a layman would go to jail for failing a drug test but you can't unequivacally say that they couldn't under varying circumstances either. You don't think that there aren't daily occurences where NFL players get caught on some minor infraction and get a pass? I would be curious to know how many times these guys have gotten out of trouble just because of their "celebrity" status. Tell me what would happen to you if you were to bump into a police officer with your car like Randy Moss did. You'd be spending time under the jailhouse. As far as J Lew goes, he got a slap on the wrist from the legal system. I'd be interested to see what other people that have committed the same offense receive as a sentence that don't have his status.

I'll agree with you though that these problems aren't solely in the NFL. Atblete's all over have this attitude. Heck, look at the guys from the US that were in the Men's in Olympic 100 M sprint during this past year, mugging for the camera and whatnot with the race still under way.

yeah i know it happens but i really dont think any of them truely think "They are held above the law and out of reach of everyone." but i do agree with you that moss' celebrity helped with that incident and the conspiracy charge lewis escaped brought a mandatory minimum 10 years. and the only time i can think of that failing a drug test is a crime, is when it deals with probation.
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: It Ain't [expletive]

Postby matmat » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:41 pm

Bennett4Prez wrote:I'm going to get right to the point. Should suspensions be mandatory?

yes. but players should be suspended for regular season games only. You goof off/up in the playoffs. OK. Pay us ten grand and ride the pine in your season opener next year.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk