Return to Football Talk

Leinart to stay at USC!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Leinart to stay at USC!

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:13 pm

J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joshyboy72 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:21 pm

Yeah I heard. Well pack your bags Aaron Rodgers, you're going to San Francisco. ;-D
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MadScott » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:31 pm

Well pack your bags Aaron Rodgers, you're going to San Francisco.
LOL, just to cross the bridge?

This must mean that Chow and Carrol aren't going to go the NFL or anyplace else anytime soon.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:37 pm

Chow should really be a head coach in College Football, if not a coordinator in the NFL. He's one of the best offensive masterminds in college football today. His uncanny ability to make mismatches and get the ball to his playmaker is unbelievable. He made OU's defense look like close to nothing, although turnovers by OU's offense greatly aided SC.

I respect Leinart's decision, but I would have left for the pros if I was him. There's the chance of getting injured, which is a devestating risk to take. He has accomplished enough at the college level...a Heisman and the NC is a superb haul for a career, let alone one year actually. It's best to just leave college football at the top...National Champion, Heisman. He also has no incentive to go back to really improve his draft stock. He is the #1 or #2 QB on most draft boards and will be a top-5 pick for sure, a probable top-3 pick, and a likely #1 draft pick. What more does he want? If he has a bad senior season, his draft stock could be hurt. He has nowhere to go but down by returning for another season. Going into combines, he's just about as high as he can get.

Although the SF franchise is going through some tough times, it is one of the more storied organizations in the National Football League and close to USC, as well. Not wanting to go to SF probably is not the reason.

Edit: And if his reason to stay is wanting to finish his degree, he can always come back after his football career, when his body is incapable of serving him in the NFL anymore.
Last edited by warrick95 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby PackerAttack84 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:41 pm

I am glad to see him return to college. Not often that a guy as good as him returns for his senior year.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:45 pm

warrick95 wrote:Chow should really be a head coach in College Football, if not a coordinator in the NFL. He's one of the best offensive masterminds in college football today. His uncanny ability to make mismatches and get the ball to his playmaker is unbelievable. He made OU's defense look like close to nothing, although turnovers by OU's offense greatly aided SC.

I respect Leinart's decision, but I would have left for the pros if I was him. There's the chance of getting injured, which is a devestating risk to take. He has accomplished enough at the college level...a Heisman and the NC is a superb haul for a career, let alone one year actually. It's best to just leave college football at the top...National Champion, Heisman. He also has no incentive to go back to really improve his draft stock. He is the #1 or #2 QB on most draft boards and will be a top-5 pick for sure, a probable top-3 pick, and a likely #1 draft pick. What more does he want? If he has a bad senior season, his draft stock could be hurt. He has nowhere to go but down by returning for another season. Going into combines, he's just about as high as he can get.

Although the SF franchise is going through some tough times, it is one of the more storied organizations in the National Football League and close to USC, as well. Not wanting to go to SF probably is not the reason.
Just out of curiosity Warrick, who would you think is the #1 QB in this draft if Leinart was in? I heard a lot of talk that Leinart still would be the #2 QB selected in this draft once all of the workouts were done.

I do agree that this is a big risk on his part but from every thing that I've heard about him, he loves college. I think that's a great thing for him. I hope it all turns out well for his sake though, as you've said it would be devastating.

As for Chow, I agree that he is a gifted offensive mind, but he served a long time at BYU before coming to USC. Certainly he could have had his choice of jobs long before he gained this recent round of heavy exposure. Fact of the matter is, he may not want to be a coach and have that responsibility. One would think he would have made that move by now if it was to his liking.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:54 pm

MadScott wrote:
warrick95 wrote:Chow should really be a head coach in College Football, if not a coordinator in the NFL. He's one of the best offensive masterminds in college football today. His uncanny ability to make mismatches and get the ball to his playmaker is unbelievable. He made OU's defense look like close to nothing, although turnovers by OU's offense greatly aided SC.

Just out of curiosity Warrick, who would you think is the #1 QB in this draft if Leinart was in? I heard a lot of talk that Leinart still would be the #2 QB selected in this draft once all of the workouts were done.

I do agree that this is a big risk on his part but from every thing that I've heard about him, he loves college. I think that's a great thing for him. I hope it all turns out well for his sake though, as you've said it would be devastating.

As for Chow, I agree that he is a gifted offensive mind, but he served a long time at BYU before coming to USC. Certainly he could have had his choice of jobs long before he gained this recent round of heavy exposure. Fact of the matter is, he may not want to be a coach and have that responsibility. One would think he would have made that move by now if it was to his liking.

Well, had Leinart declared for the draft, the factor that may have separated one from another could very well have been combines. I had Aaron Rodgers as the #1 QB earlier this year, but towards the end of the year and after the Bowl, especially, I moved Leinart above Rodgers. Don't get me wrong...Aaron Rodgers is tremendously accurate and poised and his Bowl Game performance was very good, since he was without his top 2 receivers, but Matt Leinart's ability to succeed with all eyes on him on the big stage was absolutely incredible. I could no longer deny Matt Leinart the #1 slot on my QB board any more. Most teams probably had Leinart neck and neck...waiting for combines to see which was the better pick. Alex Smith was in the mix, albeit farther down, too, but certainly conspicuous.

Speaking of him, Alex Smith has really helped his draft stock after a tremendous season (well, he actually was nowhere near the top of draft boards prior to this year) where he calmly led an intricate passing attack at Utah and then followed with a superb Bowl game against a larger conference school. Believe it or not, Alex Smith's draft stock is rising to the point that, with a good combine, he has a shot at being the #1 QB on some boards. He is also helped tremendously by Leinart staying in school.

This year's draft class is getting worse and worse...Wright announced that he was staying...and now Leinart. It was already a thin class.

You could be right about Chow. He's paid pretty well at SC. However, he's appeared to be pretty selective in picking a Head Coaching job. It seems like he wants to stay on the West Coast coaching for a relatively good school. He hoped to get the Stanford job, but didn't.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:55 pm

Horrible decision by Leinart, its like throwing away a 50 million dollar lottery ticket for a chance to win again next year.

Rodgers should be the top QB taken in the draft, but Alex Smith is supposedly flying up the draft charts and should be a top 5 pick.

*shameless plug* Look for a mock soon. *shameless plug*
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:59 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Horrible decision by Leinart, its like throwing away a 50 million dollar lottery ticket for a chance to win again next year.

Rodgers should be the top QB taken in the draft, but Alex Smith is supposedly flying up the draft charts and should be a top 5 pick.

Cheese, I agree with you, of course, as my above explanation reads, but I think the reason he's staying is because he loves college life. That's just what I think...staying for a chance to win a NC is just another "right thing to say."

-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:03 pm

warrick95 wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Horrible decision by Leinart, its like throwing away a 50 million dollar lottery ticket for a chance to win again next year.

Cheese, I agree with you, of course, as my above explanation reads, but I think the reason he's staying is because he loves college life. That's just what I think...staying for a chance to win a NC is just another "right thing to say."

I guess I see wheres hes coming from, in a way hes paying 10 million in tuition next year.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk