Leinart to stay at USC! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Leinart to stay at USC!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flux » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:44 am

This is just a weird situation. I mean more power to him if he wants to get his education, thats pretty awesome in our current times. But he is putting himself at a huge risk. I mean Im sure he is going to have a huge insurance policy out on himself, but there is no way that it could possibly be as much as he would have made in signing bonuses alone.

As for the getting laid thing, I think being the #1 pick and pulling in mad cash would also help in that category. Its not like he would be hurting if he went pro.

3) Football. He'll get more practice for the NFL, and he'll get more playing time in the NFL in 2 years than he would this year. Plus he won't be the next Eli Manning in his frist few games.

Its impossible to predict how he would do. If he did go pro he would have either immediately been thrown into the mix or sit a year and learn. Either way, he would be the full-time starter in 2 years. If he waits one more year before he turns pro, he may not be an NFL starter for 3 years.

It is ultimately his decision, and Im sure he has thought everything through. I probably wouldnt have made the same decision, but hey, Im a greedy SOB :-b
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby warrick95 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:51 am

Average one girl a night (a high guesstimate) X approximately 400 days until the next combines= $25,000 per girl. Not worth it. :-D A more realistic guess would probably be in the low $30,000's.

I give him respect for his decision, but like I've said already, I don't think it was that great of one. I guess college is fun, though, but I would have taken the cash.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby mtryanks12 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:12 pm

well, he said that cash wasn't his first priority.

The only downside to him staying at USC is that since a lot of his great defense is moving on to the NFL, he might not play as well with a different D, which could decrease his high reputation.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby proKrastinate » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:46 am

what if his decision to stay indicates his immaturity? what if he is one of those guys that just can't take the NFL, not because of their physical ability, or knowledge of the game, but the toll it takes on you mentally? we don't know him personally, but he could be the most popular 14 year old we could ever know.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:14 am

proKrastinate wrote:what if his decision to stay indicates his immaturity? what if he is one of those guys that just can't take the NFL, not because of their physical ability, or knowledge of the game, but the toll it takes on you mentally? we don't know him personally, but he could be the most popular 14 year old we could ever know.

I was thinking the same thing. What if the guy is a mental basket case? He might even be afraid to take the next step.
Even though I haven't walked in his shoes, I think this is a terrible career move. His stock will never be higher. If he doesn't want to play in SF he could tell them he won't and demand to be traded or not drafted, ala E-Cry.
Remember the 9ers are in a cap hell so they could easily trade the pick. Were I the Phins{ or Broncos I'd be awfully tempted. Then you're talking about going to teams with talent.
He is a 5th year senior so there isn't anything left for him to discover there. And with a 2.7 GPA in some social studies course doesn't make it sound like classwork is his passion.
Yes USC chicks are hot, but have you seen the talent that the pros play with? Cripe, Garthia romps around with Playboy bunnies.
I'm sorry, I've lost my train of thought. Oh yeah, why should he stay in school? I can't think of one good reason. Not one.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:13 pm

I can, maybe he's afraid he will be picked by the Lions!!!!!
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby proKrastinate » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:52 pm

i can't blame anyone right now if they didnt want to come to the niners org. i really really really want Crennell to be our HC, but looking at our situation I would be afraid of our team too.

i wonder if Eli ever wonders what he could have done in SD now that they have had a decent season.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby water boy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:50 pm

i don't think rodgers will come to sf,with York as owner,he might trade the pick for a couple of 7th rounders,Remember what the 49ers got for terrell owens Brandon whiting :~( :~( :~(

i seen him on the sidelines all year :~(
water boy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:27 pm

moochman wrote:Remember the 9ers are in a cap hell so they could easily trade the pick.
Sorry, small derailment and then back to the thread, HUGE misconception that I'm going to try and clear up all offseason. The 49ers ARE NOT in salary cap hell, they've got virtually no dead money. The ownership group wanting to be a bunch of tightasses doesn't equate to salary cap hell. Nothing against you Mooch, just setting it all straight.

We'll see what the future holds for Mr. Leinart. He's going after something that no one else has achieved I believe, 3 NCs and 2 Heismans.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:00 pm

I think this is a huge career mistake. He had the #1 overall if not, then at least #2 overall pick as his draft spot for sure. Someone was going to take him and give him an enormous contract (see Rivers or Manning last year).

Now he's going to have the same problem Jason White had. How can he possibly generate any more or even keep the same level of interest from scouts as he had this year. He practically must, and I mean absolutely must, finish in first place, win the Bowl game, get Heismann honors again, and play practically perfect to not have his value drop.

The only way this move makes any sense is if he doesn't plan on having an NFL career.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk