should your first 2 picks be rb's? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

should your first 2 picks be rb's?

Moderator: Football Moderators

should your first 2 picks be rb's?

Postby CommissionerBobHope » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:48 am

i just lucked out by winning the sb in my first year after i accidentally, carelessly, not thinkingly picked 2 qb's in the first 2 rounds. that was a big mistake but luckily i made good trades and picked ppl every week off add-drops. i get first pick next year and was no doubt taking a rb. should my first 2 picks be rbs?
A penny saved won't buy you anything.
CommissionerBobHope
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:46 am

I'm going to start off-topic first...I would think that the winner of a league should draft last if orders had to be given out by last year's placement just like any draft is done. It can be a good thing to be first though. I'd rather choose the position where I want to draft if I won a league. I know...not your question! :-)

You should never have a set strategy going into any draft no matter where you are picking. It's all about best player available whether you're first, middle, or last. I personally think the first 6-7 choices of every draft should be a RB because of the scarcity of "studly" ones that show up every week. After that, your draft goes by what you need and who everyone else has taken.

Remember that you're getting two picks in a row (if it's serpentine), so if there aren't many left and the guy is a proven RB, go for him! But, if there is an elite WR and/or QB around in the 2nd round (probably not next year due to Manning/Culpepper scoring insanity) and the talent pool is still full of usable RB's that are somewhat proven (unlike the Barlows of the world), then you might want to make sure you shore up the WR/QB spot and get a serviceable RB in round 4.

It might be risky, but as long as the other two players you took back to back are consistent scorers that will end up netting you more points each week, it's worth it!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joshyboy72 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:43 am

Since you'll be having back to back picks in the 2nd-3rd rounds, it's more of taking 2 backs with your first three picks...which I suggest you do. By the time it comes back to you with your 2 picks even if there were a lot of backs taken you may still be able to get a Rudi Johnson or Kevin Jones type, which is a solid #2 running back. As for your other pick, unless there's still a tier 1 quarterback remaining (Manning/CPep/McNabb) go for the top wide receiver, which at that point there should be Javon Walker and Joe Horn available, Harrison if you're lucky. To sum it all up, go for 2 running backs with your first 3 picks.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:49 am

I agree with the chemist: never use a strategy that predefines which position you should take in a given round. There are simply too many situations that can come up that require you to be flexible.

Projecting how the draft will flow, and looking at the positions you'll most likely want to take is useful, but be prepared to throw that projection out the window if the draft evolves differently from how you expected. Taking RBs with your top two picks may well be the best way to go, but don't force yourself into a corner.

And serious congrats on winning the title in your rookie season! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby water boy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:05 am

well i was in a keeper league this year, i had the 9th pick in the draft and i did not want to draft a so so back i went with rmoss and then i drafted culpepper in th second round,i got lucky with droughns and mcgahee and won it all.if you get the right players it can happen but its very hard to find good backs in deep leagues .
water boy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ljthockey » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:59 am

Every year I have picked 2 rbs first then went from there and so far Ive been happy with the results like said before you should have 2 picks in a row so I would definalty take 2 rbs with your first 3 picks.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PackerAttack84 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:09 am

I don't believe that you have to draft 2 running backs in the first 2 rounds. However, I believe that you should draft atleast 1 running back in the first 3 rounds. You have to take the best player available. Who would you rather take Peyton Manning or Deuce McAllister with your 9th pick. You can take the best player left in Manning or you can keep the running back trend going and pick McAllister and watch Manning go to the guy behind you.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:34 am

PackerAttack84 wrote:I don't believe that you have to draft 2 running backs in the first 2 rounds. However, I believe that you should draft atleast 1 running back in the first 3 rounds. You have to take the best player available. Who would you rather take Peyton Manning or Deuce McAllister with your 9th pick. You can take the best player left in Manning or you can keep the running back trend going and pick McAllister and watch Manning go to the guy behind you.

That's possibly a bad example...if you replaced Deuce and put in McGahee or Ahman, it would be a tougher choice. But, you already know my stance on Manning, so I'd take the RB anyway. :-D ;-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:12 pm

Yeah bad example. I'd probably take Deuce over Manning.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Azrael » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:04 pm

I think there are so many teams with apparent full time starters at RB (more than 20) that you are probably better off drafting studs at WR, RB, or QB in the first 2 rounds and evaluating what you need and what's there when round 3 comes around.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk