Should all new stadiums have retractable roofs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should all new stadiums have retractable roofs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should all new stadiums have retractable roofs?

Postby warrick95 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:00 pm

To put everything on a more level playing field and to "normalize" the game more. I mean, when a team goes into NE, they play in freaking snowstorms half the time. Since they get this awesome homefield advantage, other teams that aren't used to it basically have to face two opponents at once.

I know that there are domes with indoor turf that are different, as well. In order to normalize, you probably wouldn't want these, either. I guess they could slowly move out of turfs. Turfs are also hard on the knees and falls...it'd probably cost a lot to change stadiums all at once, but if it's a relatively gradual and progressive movement, it could work out pretty well.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby warrick95 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:05 pm

I wanted to note that it is now 3 teams on 1. The Patriots, the weather, and the refs.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:14 pm

Football is a game to be played outside, in the elements. No.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm

i'll pop this thread's cherry. EMPHATICALLY NO.

You want a dome, then have a dome. want an outdoor statidum, do that. I don't think it would be fair to allow the home team to determine totally the conditions in which the game would be played. "oh no, the colts/rams are in town, and its raining, better open up the dome"

Football is a game meant to be played with the elements IMO. domes are ok, but you have to build a team to perform in that environment. same with the outdoor environment. i like that you have to build respective teams with your city's climate in mind. Its a disavantage to play the colts at home incidentally. Maybe they should have gotten home field advantage.

Given their history against the pats, and given that snow in NE in January is certainly not unheard of, you would think that the colts in particular would have put a premium this year on homefield advantage. Or at least having a home game in the divsional round. They didn't get that, and dealing with the weather is part of the package.

Weather or not, 3 points at this stage for the most prolific offense isn't too impressive. Brilliant Pats strategy. Keep manning cold and on the sideline, compounding pressure with each successive possesion.

maybe edge should have run more or something, seems relying on the run game has gotten the pats far ...
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:18 pm

Maybe we should have neutral sites throughout the playoffs. How about that? NE vs. Indy in St. Louis.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mtryanks12 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:36 pm

If they want to spend 20 million on a retractable roof, go right ahead. Like I give a crap. }:-)
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby warrick95 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:05 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Maybe we should have neutral sites throughout the playoffs. How about that? NE vs. Indy in St. Louis.

Well, I actually disagree with that. Teams like the Steelers and Pats should be rewarded for what they did during the season. They had great seasons and thus should get a slight edge up in the playoffs.

However, I'm not a believer in the "natural elements" argument. I don't think weather being a factor is fair for all teams.

I don't know what to do, to be honest, but I'm against the extreme handicap put on visiting teams in both a. the snow and b. the fast turf.

I don't think running the ball would've worked better. Did you see the 2 min drill offense run by Manning near the end of the 2nd quarter? That worked out pleasantly. I think the Colts should've went to the air, deep, much more and tried to take shots at the second-tier cornerbacks. As long as their WRs could get a couple of steps, the worst case is a defensive hold or pass interference. The Colts tried to set up the screen to Edge way too much. The strength of the Pats' defense, especially with Seymour out depleting the line a little, is their group of very smart LBs. The screen is best used when the defense does not expect it...and overpursuits. The Pats' exceptionally smart group of LBs will not be stupid enough. They diagnosed it again and again and broke the play down quickly. In addition, passing to the slot receiver is not a good idea with the LBs and Harrison lurking in the middle. The Colts should've attacked to the outside again and again. Just my $0.02.

-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:16 pm

"However, I'm not a believer in the "natural elements" argument. I don't think weather being a factor is fair for all teams."

why? it affects both teams ...

the home team doesn't control the weather ...

football evolved as a game to be played outside in the fall ...

I'm not sure I see what your point is. Weather is only a disadvantage as much as you build your team as such.

its not as if indy couldn't have tried the same strategy, or built their team in such a way as to overcoem this handicap. They do have a stud rb, they could have run the ball more, they could have done any number of things.

and IF your idea was true, who decides who gets to retract the roof anyway? I would guess it would be the home teams descretion anyway. Think the pats would have left it closed today? I don't. If you leave it up to the nfl, I guess that wouldn't have ANY backlash ... "The NFL makes new englad leave its roof closed" how would that look? unless you make a rule and specify in which weather condiditons the roof must be closed, and at that point, why not make them all domes anyway?

I'm not sure I get your point, or if there is even one in there.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby warrick95 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:23 pm

eaglesrule wrote:"However, I'm not a believer in the "natural elements" argument. I don't think weather being a factor is fair for all teams."

why? it affects both teams ...

the home team doesn't control the weather ...

football evolved as a game to be played outside in the fall ...

I'm not sure I see what your point is. Weather is only a disadvantage as much as you build your team as such.

its not as if indy couldn't have tried the same strategy, or built their team in such a way as to overcoem this handicap. They do have a stud rb, they could have run the ball more, they could have done any number of things.

and IF your idea was true, who decides who gets to retract the roof anyway? I would guess it would be the home teams descretion anyway. Think the pats would have left it closed today? I don't. If you leave it up to the nfl, I guess that wouldn't have ANY backlash ... "The NFL makes new englad leave its roof closed" how would that look? unless you make a rule and specify in which weather condiditons the roof must be closed, and at that point, why not make them all domes anyway?

I'm not sure I get your point, or if there is even one in there.

I think that the weather should not be a factor either. As you can see by what I said about "extreme conditions," I would prefer as much of the weather being a non-factor and neutral more than anything else. I see that most of y'all disagree with that and prefer the natural elements playing a role, even if it is a very significant one.

In neutral weather, there'd be as little as an extreme advantage for teams built in certain ways, as for teams built a completely opposite way.

I am not sure what would happen. I guess any retract it in any precipitation? It's not like the NFL doesn't look bad enough now for the stupid stuff they announce week in week out, from the John Lynch statement to fining Clinton Portis for wearing maroon socks.

-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Bullshit

Postby Daddymike59 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:32 pm

Football was made to be played outside not inside.

Any of us that played football at any level remember vividly the games in the mud, snow, the 2 a days etc. right there with our own best games.

The Astrodome was the beginning of the end of original hardcore football. I'm not saying leather helmets should be restored but football belongs in the elements. Soldier Field. Cleveland Stadium, Lambeau. The Motor City should have dozed that piece of crap the year after it was built. Ask a number of rb's that have lost careers there. And ones that have retired early.

Warrick do you want a bright shiny new lid to put on Paul Brown to lose home field advantage? I think not.
Last edited by Daddymike59 on Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk