Should all new stadiums have retractable roofs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should all new stadiums have retractable roofs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:34 pm

HELL NO! can you imagine a roof on Lambeau Field?

its what home field is all about. Im pretty sure this thread is regarding the NE/IND game, so Ill focus on that. what do you think homefield adnavtage is? Sure crowd noise is one thing, but its also the stadium. If Indy had homefield advantage they would be playing in the dome on turf. That plays to all their strengths. However, Indy's record was not good enough to get homefield advantage. I dont see the argument here. You want to limit the factors of the weather? Why? Indy should have adjusted. Thats what good teams do. End of story.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:39 pm

If the Colts wanted this game in the dome, they would have played better throughout the year and won a bye.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:39 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Maybe we should have neutral sites throughout the playoffs. How about that? NE vs. Indy in St. Louis.

This was sarcasm. ;-)
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:33 pm

what this guy fails to realize is that the venue would have been a disadvantage for the pats had the colts taken care of business, which they didn't. maybe they shouldn't have flubbed the season opener.

field/court conditions are a fact of life in any sport. anyone remember the dead spots in boston garden? should we make the rockies play at sea level? put a dome on giants stadium to account for the wind?

who wants a bunch of uniform, cookie cuter stadiums? should every baseball stadium be of the same dimensions?

The point is that the front office has decisions to make. do you tailor the team to the turf, and look to annialate your home games, and win your share on the road? do you tailor your team to run and play d -- perhaps losing a couple of early season games in good weather, in order to have an advantage later (don't tell me the ny giants don't do this)

its all a part of your strategy. I think the pats really have it dead on. build with balance in mind. good personell on each side, but you don't load up either way, keep the team hard to "peg".
in my mind, football is a game that was built with the outdoors in mind -- the games that developed with football -- soccer, rugby, aussie rules football all play outside. what reason other than some abstract sense of "fair" should it be played under controlled conditions?

you realize of course, that benefits the loudest fan base, right? with the way sound echos etc? each confers its advantages, and you live with the nature of your field.
Last edited by eaglesrule on Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:36 pm

Like Trans said, if they just put retractable roofs on all the stadiums it would primarily benefit all the teams that base their whole franchise on offensive speed (Falcons, Colts, Vikings, Rams).
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:41 pm

you know, incidentally, how many dome teams have won?

The rams obvisouly, but who else? seems the outdoor teams win more, and the dome teams always underachieve. wonder why that is?
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:42 pm

The Falcons also won.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:44 pm

the super bowl? when did they win that? (that is what I was talking about)
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:46 pm

im sorry warrick, but i dont agree with you here..for all the reasons stated above. homefield advantage is, and always has been, part of the game.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:49 pm

eaglesrule wrote:the super bowl? when did they win that? (that is what I was talking about)

In that case I would assume it's because the only teams in the league that play in domes are the Rams (won the SB), the Vikings (have always sucked), the Saints (one of the worst franchises of the last 20 years), the Falcons (made it to the SB against Denver), the Colts (played in Baltimore before), and the Texans (3rd year in the league).
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk