Should all new stadiums have retractable roofs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should all new stadiums have retractable roofs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby joshyboy72 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:29 pm

This is a pointless thread. NO. That is what homefield advantage is all about. That's what football is all about.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby water boy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:55 pm

i hate dooms all games should be played outside in the snow and rain mud,look what happened to indy in the snow only 3pts.
water boy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:36 am

Football in the snow = good. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Daddymike59 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:21 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Like Trans said, if they just put retractable roofs on all the stadiums it would primarily benefit all the teams that base their whole franchise on offensive speed (Falcons, Colts, Vikings, Rams).

I'm not sure the elements play a large factor in Hotlanta

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:04 pm

Arlo wrote:Football in the snow = good. ;-D

Amen to that. It should be played in sun, rain, snow, fog, blizzard or anything! Football is an outside sport and we shouldn't make it an indoor one!
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:23 pm

While I see the original point of trying to create as fair of a playing field as possible, I disagree with the approach. I would also agree with other replies that games would have to be played on a neutral field because fan noise is as important or more important than the weather 95% of the time. Also, would you want to take the Green Monster out of Fenway? Unique characteristics from weather to fans (Raider Nation) to the stadium type/design are part of the great nuances to keep each city distinct. Every team gets to play half their games at home during the regular season with a chance to earn more in the postseason. This is plenty fair. Oh, and should we play the Super Bowl in New England or Green Bay as much as San Diego or New Orleans to be fair to cold weather teams? What I wouldn't give to see a snow Super Bowl... And the Fog Bowl! How many people rate the Fog Bowl as one of the most memorable games ever? Madden and Summerall trying to call the action when nobody could even see the players. Great stuff!
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby CC » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:59 pm

The best team during the regular season should get to decide where the Superbowl is played, be it the Rose Bowl, Heinz Field, or Ivor Wynne Stadium (in my town, Hamilton). How cool would that be.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bowie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:15 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:The best team during the regular season should get to decide where the Superbowl is played, be it the Rose Bowl, Heinz Field, or Ivor Wynne Stadium (in my town, Hamilton). How cool would that be.

And in a perfect world that stadium would be filled with season ticket holders and other fans (no suits). Unfortunately, the NFL would never do this.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:31 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:If the Colts wanted this game in the dome, they would have played better throughout the year and won a bye.

I'm a Colts fan, and I couldn't agree with this statement more. The game is just fine the way it is. We didn't get home field advantage and my team has nodoby to blame but themselves for not playing well in New England. I'm sick of excuses like "the refs screwed us" or "the weather sucked." Both excuses imply that that the game in unfair and needs to be changed and quite frankly, I'm disgusted.

Jim Harbaugh seemed to play just fine when the Colts were on the road during the 1995 playoff run that almost landed the Colts in the Super Bowl. Harbaugh's Colts won on the road in pouring rain in San Diego and hostile conditions in Kansas City before losing 20-16 in Three Rivers. This Colts team just can't win in Foxboro. Maybe when my beloved Colts build their new stadium, they'll leave the dome out and learn how to play outdoors.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk