Pats @ Steelers for AFC Championship. Steelers are done!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Pats @ Steelers for AFC Championship. Steelers are done!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby chcbb » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:39 pm

davus wrote:I don't think Steelers fans are any more nervous than Pats fans are about this one, bro.

very true; and this is coming from a pats fan. it's gonna be a rough game.
chcbb
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby davus » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:53 pm

nsulham wrote:Damn Davus, not giving the Pats any credit or anything? I know you're confident in your team but damn. You can't say "Team X has better A than Team Z and Team Y shut them down, so we'll win". Just can't do it. Different teams, different personnel. Just like people shouldn't really say Ben will be eaten alive by NE based on his performance last week.

I've said it before: until proven otherwise, the Pats are the team to beat. How many times do they have to prove people wrong?

I take NOTHING away from the Steelers and hell, they could very well win this game, easily. The homefield advantage definitely worries me.

But the Pats have been bet against before and proved everyone wrong. Just don't start crying if they do it again.

I give the Pats tons of credit and I'm deflecting the very same kind of logic on why the Steelers will lose. "Ben played subpar against the Jets, therefore the Pats will tear him and the Steelers apart..." ad-nauseum.

Now, as far as the team to beat. The Steelers, as I'm sure you are well aware, defeated them in regular season play SOUNDLY...and then went on to defeat the previously undefeated Eagles EVEN MORE SOUNDLY the following week. Ben played great both of those games. How many of the top teams do the Steelers have to beat, how many times consecutively until they are the team to beat? 15-1, best record in the league. They already beat the Pats once this year. Yet the Pats are the team to beat still???

That's ok. Yeah they are still the reigning champs. They have a great team and a great coach. I happen to think that the Steelers match up against them this year very well and better than they would have the Colts...although I think the weather outdoors would have turned a Pit Vs. Indy game into a Pit victory by default, Indy just sucks outside in the cold.

Again, I take nothing away from the Pats. I just think the Steelers are very capable of beating them again. The Pats and Steelers are IMO the #1 and #2 teams in the NFL this year and I've been saying that since week 10. They are both great teams and either could come on top.

I am just flabbergasted at the disrespect shown toward the Steelers. Not to beat a dead horse, but I don't remember anyone voicing concerns about the Pats when they lost to the lowly Dolphins. Granted they have a longer resume, but at some point you have to give the Steelers credit and most people don't.

To me that will make what I believe will be a Steeler victory all the more sweet. ;-D
davus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fern » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:59 pm

This is gonna be a good game and I don't think the Pats will run away with it. The Pats didn't exactly light up the Colts average D and the Steelers D is much better. Can't wait to see this one ;-D
Fern
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby davus » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:59 pm

black_hawk8888 wrote:You sound nervous - don't worry, I would be too if I was a Steelers fan after watching Big Ben on Saturday :)

Boy, you Bengirls fans are really sour this post-season for some reason...couldn't have anything to do with the girls getting their asses handed to them YET AGAIN twice by the Steelers, could it? Or because the girls have YET AGAIN failed to make the playoffs or even look like a cohesive team?

It takes either big cojones or a distinct lack of intellect to talk such smack as a fan of the perennial losers and bottom class of the NFL Cincinatti Bengals.

LOL

:-B
davus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby davus » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:46 pm

Fern wrote:This is gonna be a good game and I don't think the Pats will run away with it. The Pats didn't exactly light up the Colts average D and the Steelers D is much better. Can't wait to see this one ;-D

I was just talking about this today. From that game I took more out of the Pats not being able to score much on the Colts than I did on the Colts sucking really bad outside in bad weather.

Then again, probably a testament to the brilliance of Belicheck....prolonged drives designed to keep the defense rested and keep the ball away from and frustrate Manning who is accustomed to scoring every 5 minutes.
davus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby black_hawk8888 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:19 pm

davus wrote:
black_hawk8888 wrote:You sound nervous - don't worry, I would be too if I was a Steelers fan after watching Big Ben on Saturday :)

Boy, you Bengirls fans are really sour this post-season for some reason...couldn't have anything to do with the girls getting their asses handed to them YET AGAIN twice by the Steelers, could it? Or because the girls have YET AGAIN failed to make the playoffs or even look like a cohesive team?

It takes either big cojones or a distinct lack of intellect to talk such smack as a fan of the perennial losers and bottom class of the NFL Cincinatti Bengals.

LOL

I'm not sure I understand - this conversation has nothing to do with the Bengals. Of course I'm a Bungles fan and of course they sucked this year. I'm not talking smack about them even though I'm a faithful Cincy fan (as I'm sure davus would be if the Stellars were 1-15 instead of 15-1). I'm just stating facts about the upcoming AFC champ game between the pats and Steelers. In my eyes, the Steelers are the inferior team both on paper and on the field. I agree that they would be the second best team in the NFL, but until NE loses in the playoffs when it counts, they are the World Champions. I'm not saying the Steelers CAN'T win. I'm saying that the most likely outcome is a Pats win because of many intagibles, the greatest of which is the QB matchup.
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby davus » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:54 pm

black_hawk8888 wrote:
davus wrote:

LOL

I'm not sure I understand - this conversation has nothing to do with the Bengals. Of course I'm a Bungles fan and of course they sucked this year. I'm not talking smack about them even though I'm a faithful Cincy fan (as I'm sure davus would be if the Stellars were 1-15 instead of 15-1). I'm just stating facts about the upcoming AFC champ game between the pats and Steelers. In my eyes, the Steelers are the inferior team both on paper and on the field. I agree that they would be the second best team in the NFL, but until NE loses in the playoffs when it counts, they are the World Champions. I'm not saying the Steelers CAN'T win. I'm saying that the most likely outcome is a Pats win because of many intagibles, the greatest of which is the QB matchup.

You understand just fine, big guy. You hate the Steelers because they always make the Bengirls look like well...a bunch of little girls. You don't have to talk smack in favor of the Bengals, well really you can't, so you'll do what little you can, and that is to talk smack against your most hated rivals. Make what ever prediction you want, judging from your choice of teams, you're not very wise anyway.

Enjoy watching the Steelers secure their ride to the Super Bowl this Sunday.

;-D
davus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Azrael » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:59 pm

I personally thought the Pats would win last week. I even went as far as to call the Colts offense overhyped and listed my reasons why. I think the Steelers were glad that they escaped last week. I also think that they think after that performance they will have something to prove. It seems everything I read or hear, everyone has just about buried the Steelers because of 2 nationally televised games. 1. Their lackluster performance against the Jets and 2. The Pats domination of the Colts team that, frankly, didn't look like it wanted anything to do with playing in 20 degree snowy weather.

The Pats pounded on a finesse team that preyed on weak Ds all year long.

This week they face a Steelers team that will smash them back in the mouth and not lay down. I look for this game to come down to a key turnover or special teams play. The Steelers weren't given much of a chance to win the last game and once again aren't. Vegas has them as a 3 point dog.

Most of the things I see or hear are "it'll be a close game but the Pats will win" Basically this means they don't think the Steelers have a chance to win but don't have the guts to call it a blowout just because they are 16-1 this year.

I guess undefeated at home, undefeated QB, and 15 in a row means nothing towards this team's success in the following game.

Yes I am a Steeler fan but I do actually like them to win the game.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby chcbb » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:41 pm

davus wrote:I am just flabbergasted at the disrespect shown toward the Steelers. Not to beat a dead horse, but I don't remember anyone voicing concerns about the Pats when they lost to the lowly Dolphins. Granted they have a longer resume, but at some point you have to give the Steelers credit and most people don't.

To me that will make what I believe will be a Steeler victory all the more sweet. ;-D

no disrespect to the steelers, i think they have a great chance beating the pats sunday. i'd say this is one of the more evenly matched afc championships we've seen in a while. should be a great game. we'll just have to see who proves us right/wrong next week.
(and yes, i was concerned when the dolphins beat the pats... but only until they throttled the jets the next week.)
chcbb
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby davus » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:13 am

chcbb wrote:
davus wrote:I am just flabbergasted at the disrespect shown toward the Steelers. Not to beat a dead horse, but I don't remember anyone voicing concerns about the Pats when they lost to the lowly Dolphins. Granted they have a longer resume, but at some point you have to give the Steelers credit and most people don't.

no disrespect to the steelers, i think they have a great chance beating the pats sunday. i'd say this is one of the more evenly matched afc championships we've seen in a while. should be a great game. we'll just have to see who proves us right/wrong next week.
(and yes, i was concerned when the dolphins beat the pats... but only until they throttled the jets the next week.)

Cool, thanks chcbb!

You're right, it should be a great game...the real Super Bowl. ;-D
davus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting