Spending cash on a "franchise" player or spreading it out? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Spending cash on a "franchise" player or spreading it out?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Spending cash on a "franchise" player or spreading it out?

Postby warrick95 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:10 pm

Here's an interesting topic...what is better, spending a fortune, a good portion of your cap, on one superstar "franchise" (not to be mistaken with the franchise tag) player for a multiyear deal, or spreading the money out to build a cohesive unit with a crew of great, albeit not all "name" players that fit your system?

As some of you may be able to figure out, this question is largely in regard to the Colts and Pats.

The Colts paid Manning a tremendous deal and locked Harrison up long term, too. They may franchise tag or extend James with a large deal. That would hardly leave a sufficient amount of money to successfully build with good players on defense and around the Big 3.

The Pats, on the other hand, pay Brady a good deal of cash and Ty Law, too. However, please note that Ty Law did not even participate in most of this year and did not factor in the tremendous defensive output today. They have a bunch of great players that are smart and fit the system very well. As you can see, they effectively neutralized the highly paid Colt offensive trio.

Another player that signed a large deal was Mike Vick. Now Vick, IMO, may be an outlier, because he sells so many tickets, too. He's such a great marketing tool for the team that owns him, that Falcon management is probably profiting tremendously and almost solely from his presence. His potential on the field is also tremendous, because there simply has not been that sort of athlete at the quarterback position ever.

What would your strategy be?
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby CC » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:47 pm

I think you have to build around 1 or 2 players, the Patriots are an exception because they are so well-managed and well-coached.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Evolution » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:52 pm

If you have an exceptional talent (i.e. Mike Vick), you build around that talent. If you do not have that and are unable to attain it, then I'd say you spread the team around and attempt to look like the Steelers or the Patriots.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:34 am

In the NFL, I think the Patriots have demonstrated how powerful spreading their funds around can be, at least with current salary structures.

In fantasy leagues with salaries, on the other hand, I'm not convinced that that's necessarily the best way to go...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk