"Biggest Steal since the LA Purchase" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Biggest Steal since the LA Purchase"

Moderator: Football Moderators

"Biggest Steal since the LA Purchase"

Postby Daddymike59 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:14 pm

I remember when Cincy gave up Dillon for a second rounder. I hope they don't get the equivalent value of Dillon with that pick. I did laugh when they made that deal. Belichek is the one laughing now. And Corey when he gets his ring.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby warrick95 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:18 pm

He was a cancer to us, though. Marv certainly was not going to get much more out of him and did not want his negative presence on our team. It's kind of like addition by subtraction...like what happened with Nomar in Boston. People thought it was a bad deal, but the locker room morale improved tremendously after he left. Exact same thing with A-Rod in Texas. Great player? Yes, arguably the best in the game. But, the Texas team had a huge burden lifted off of them after he was traded and consequently made a largely unexpected playoff run.

I find it so laughable that everybody's praising CD for being a good guy now. He was nothing close to that in Cincy. Now they're saying that all he wanted to do was win. Well, guess what we were doing last year? We WERE in the playoff hunt, albeit the underdog vs. BAL in the AFC North race, yet Dillon still complained about not being "the man." And then he threw his pads into the stands after the last game...took cheap shots at Willie Anderson and teh rest of the team. What an ass. Another reason for me to dislike the Pats.

He's also getting up there in age. Getting awfully close to the age where RBs are shelved.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby Turnip » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:29 pm

Out with the old Bengals and in with the new.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

CD

Postby Daddymike59 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:39 pm

I never said Dillon was Sister Mary Elephant. Just that the Bengals got screwed and jumped the gun on the deal. They should and could have gotten more.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dave416 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:44 pm

I not sure about that. At the time he was playing poorly and looked like he was headed for the token RB downfall that occurs once you hit thirty. He was also a cancer to the team as previously mentioned. I also find it laughable that people think he is a good guy now. I would like to see his attitude now if he played for San Fran this year. You don't whine when your team is in a cold spell. You do what you can to get them back. He gets played millions to play a game for god's sake, so he shouldn't whine when the team doesn't make the playoffs. Look at Willie Anderson, he has been there forever and doesn't complain. He just goes to work and produces pro bowl-caliber seasons every year.
Last edited by dave416 on Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby Evolution » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:49 pm

I dont want this to be viewed as an excuse, but I might have grown very frustrated myself if I played for the Bengals for the 90s, put up absolutely astonishing numbers considering the team had to pass for basically the entire second half during that span, and when we are showing the slightest signs of progress, get relegated to the backup role.

Corey Dillon may not be a saint, but he had to have been an incredibly frustrated guy.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:26 pm

Willie Anderson toughed it out. He mos def deserves some dap.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:29 pm

well some of that may be true. but did he not sign a contract with them when they stunk? and they still weren't any good?

I agree that cincy had to take what they could get for him, as they weren't going to get anything. so 25 cents on the dollar is still better than 0 cents on the dollar.

however, I can see how being in that enivronment would screw with your head. didn't the bengals have all those weird rules about talking to the media etc? they didn't seem to do too much to keep it from being the cory dillon show. It seemed to me like they were just going to run him into the ground with nothing to show through it. It's still your body, and from what I understand, he resigned with them and they made bad desicions subsequently.

"He don't whine when your team is in a cold spell.He don't whine when your team is in a cold spell."

I think its safe to say that what the bengals had was worse than a cold spell. they were up there with the az cardinals and the la clippers as most pathetic sports franchise. And I would say that he did what he could humanly do to get them out of it. maybe the bengals could have invested in a stout defense ala baltimore and won games that way. nstead they made personnel mistake after personnel mistake.

I think I will trust new england's talents at personnel and personality judgement over the bengals any day of the week. surely there was something he sadi that made a ton of sense ...
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dave416 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:49 pm

Agreed, it was more than a cold spell, and it would be incredibly frustrating. However, as said earlier, Willie Anderson has fought through it. Also, if you have a problem with the way the team is run, you don't go off and publicly criticize the team personnel and players (such as Willie Anderson for no apparent reason). You have to try to keep these things inhouse and resolve them quietly, or else they are liable to get worse. Of course his problems with the franchise would eventually get out into the public, but there is no reason he should go to the media with his list of grievances instead of talking to the high ranking people in the organization.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby CC » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:50 pm

That's what I like to see, Willie Anderson getting his props. ;-D
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk