Steelers MUST limit Ben's passes to win - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steelers MUST limit Ben's passes to win

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steelers MUST limit Ben's passes to win

Postby Azrael » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:47 pm

This week the Steelers had Roethlisberger attempt 30 passes, the most ever this year. The only other game he threw more than 25 times was against the Giants when they needed a furious rally to win.

He was clearly feeling the pressure of playoff football when he badly threw several balls to several wide open guys, 2 of which ended in INTs.

The Steelers must try to keep his passes under 20 attempts and get him high percentage throws or passes that have a low chance of getting intercepted. I also think he should work off play action more. He also needs to use his mobility to pick up yardage when its clear he can pick up first downs or get close with his legs, even if guys are open.

Pittsburgh has to establish a good ground game to keep the pressure off Ben. Once they get the ground game going he can work off that to beat the Pats secondary when they start cheating up.

The 2 big keys to this game are how well the Steelers can handle Dillon and whether they can keep Ben from making costly mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, I love this kid, but yes he's still a rookie and last week he showed the pressure got to him. It seemed to me like the Steelers were trying to make a point of showing Ben could handle the pressure, when clearly they could have just shoved the ball down the Jets throat on the ground.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:11 am

Agreed.

It seemed that Ken Whisenhunt was trying to get a jump on the scoreboard all through the first half and bury the Jets into submission. I figured they'd look at the running success they were getting and play more conservative, limiting Ben's propensity for mistakes that game going into the second half.

It's not like you have to put 30 on the Jets to win. 17-20 range does just fine.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby black_hawk8888 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:53 am

Yeah - but 17-20 won't do it against NE. Gotta think that 24-30 will be necessary. I have been impressed with Roethlisberger as well, but him against Brady for the right to play at Jacksonville? I would take Brady every time. Unless the Stellars get up by a score or 2 early, Ben will have to throw a bunch to keep up with the Pats. Should be a good game.
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby joshyboy72 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:31 pm

I disagree, as long as they are successful on the ground and just mix it up with the Bus and Staley, Roethlisberger shouldn't have to throw it more than 20 times to win. New England will probably do the same--control the clock to keep Pittsburgh's backs off the field and rest their defense. Although I think they'll win they won't outscore Pittsburgh to a degree that Big Ben has to throw it 25+ times.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:33 pm

The more Pittsburgh runs, the greater the chance of them winning games. I would never give Ben more than 30 passes in a game.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cooner » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:39 pm

it didn't seem to me like they threw too many times- only 12 in the first half (about normal). The problem was that of those 12, only 4 were complete. Then they decided they needed to get Ben's confidence back instead of re-establishing the running game. It looked like it was working too- 6 for 6 on the opening drive of the 2nd half before the pick. That drive is the main reason Ben threw so many passes. Not including that first drive, he threw only 23 passes, which is much closer to normal. So I wouldn't really say that they called too many pass plays- it was just one drive being used to try to get his touch and confidence back (for better or worse). After that drive, they went back to banging away, and continued for the rest of the game.
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:54 pm

I won't say necessarily that Ben will have to throw a little or a lot to beat the Pats but he will be the deciding factor in the Steeler success. I guarantee you Bellicheck is gearing his D to stop the run and force Ben to beat him. Ben will have to make a few big plays in this game for the Steelers to win. The Pats should be able to do pretty much what they want on offense, only muted to an extent due to a very good Pitt D. Whereas, the Steelers can only run consistently. I like Ben but he'll be under pressure he's never seen in this game and I don't know that he's ready.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:56 pm

I think if the Stillers try to limit their passing game they'll be playing right into the Pats' hands. They need to throw deep on the Pats. Burress and Randel El are big enough and don't mind physical play so the secondary could be exposed. Ben need to find his poise and throw deep a handful of times.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Azrael » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:50 pm

You hear everyone say that Bellichick will do his best to confuse the rookie. I don't think that's an issue. He looked plenty erratic this week against the Jets base 5-3. It's not will he get confused and make errors, it's whether the Steelers put him in those situations. They need to let him manage the game not force him to make plays. He probably shouldn't be throwing too many conventional drop back pass plays when it's 3rd and 10+. If he feels like he must make a big play I think that's when he'll screw up.

Most of the year the Steelers had him throw when it was advantageous to him, play action when a run was expected, jump balls to Burress in single coverage. Sometimes the guy made plays when it was on his shoulders but he wasn't facing really good defenses (NY Giants, Dallas).
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:03 pm

i was talking to a steelers homer this weekend. He claimed that he would rather have Big Ben rather than Tom Brady. WHAT!

i gladly pointed out the obvious. And he said we will see. This was before the Steelers game on saturday.

Some people sacrifice looking stupid just so they can cheer for their team. WOW. Not me. Never. Facts are Facts.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk