Moss leaving the Vikes sidelines...for good? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Moss leaving the Vikes sidelines...for good?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:51 am

Lots of teams would love to have his talent but how many want the baggage that goes with it??? Ya get guys like Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin saying they wouldn't wanna be on the same team with him, ya gotta wonder how many other players feel the same way and if so, why would ya wanna have him come and destroy your team chemistry?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:26 am

stomperrob wrote:Lots of teams would love to have his talent but how many want the baggage that goes with it??? Ya get guys like Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin saying they wouldn't wanna be on the same team with him, ya gotta wonder how many other players feel the same way and if so, why would ya wanna have him come and destroy your team chemistry?

Yah, Michael "wheres the coke" Irvin, was always a great law abiding team-mate. Gotta love and respect his opinion.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:12 am

Carolina Culpepper wrote:Yah, Michael "wheres the coke" Irvin, was always a great law abiding team-mate. Gotta love and respect his opinion.

Just shows how we value athletes. Win Super Bowls and no one remembers your coking and whoring, just that you were flamboyant. Being on a team full of hall of famers and coached by Landry instead of Tice had much more to do with Irvins ever winning SBs. But the red carpet is rolled out for him.

So until Moss wins a SB he will be a distraction to the team instead of a vital part to a winning SB formula, and thus win all of the love of the front running media.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:23 am

A guy who walks off the field in a do-or-die game is not the guy who wins you a superbowl. You can't play that kind of laid back approach and succeed in the playoffs.

Personally, I don't think Moss would go to the Raiders, but to the Ravens. They're one big WR talent away from having a scary offense to compliment that defense, and they've got at least one LB to spare which Minn. would love I'm sure.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:37 pm

[quote="maddog60"] You can't play that kind of laid back approach and succeed in the playoffs.

The Vikings have won 5 playoff games and been to two NFC Championship games with Moss. That is certainly is some degree of playoff "success".
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:48 pm

Just one point for whomever mentioned it. Burleson isn't a #1 candidate yet. He's a #2 but he lacks way too much in the speed/deep threat department.

Talk is that Baltimore could go after him for just their first round pick. That's too little. Moss will rebound next year and, despite his attitude, you'd be crazy to let that good a playmaker leave without major compensation. We're talking a top 5 or top 3 WR of all time when it's all said and done. That's a big deal.

Their RBs won't command anything. Somebody might be suckered by Bennett's speed but that's about it.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:39 pm

Carolina Culpepper wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Lots of teams would love to have his talent but how many want the baggage that goes with it??? Ya get guys like Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin saying they wouldn't wanna be on the same team with him, ya gotta wonder how many other players feel the same way and if so, why would ya wanna have him come and destroy your team chemistry?

Yah, Michael "wheres the coke" Irvin, was always a great law abiding team-mate. Gotta love and respect his opinion.

Yeh, I agree that Irvin was no angel - but the point is, if even guys like him (and Jerry Rice too) wouldn't want to play with Moss, then how widespread is that opinion among other current NFL players - if there are players of the same opinion on all teams, then who would be willing to chance a loss of team unity by trading for Moss???
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:24 pm

A couple of quick points...

Name the most dominant team the past several years in the NFL.... New England. Do they have a Randy Moss? Not even close. However, they show us that to win in the NFL on a regular basis, you need a solid defense and from there, a bunch of serviceable players who don't make mistakes can win you championships. Look at the last five Super Bowl winners. How many stud WR between all of them? Atlanta is a win away from the SuperBowl this year. Peerless Price couldn't hold Moss' jockstrap.

Personally, if I was in charge of the Vikings, I would be actively looking to deal Moss for the right price. I know he'll be a stud for the next five-plus years. However, one stud versus a number of solid all-around players can be a toss up -- especially when you so glaringly need defensive help.

Like B4P mentioned, Burleson has emerged as a fairly solid WR option. I wouldn't want him as my No. 1 Wr option, but neither would I want any of the New England WR as my No. 1 option. They still make it work.

I think that the Vikings should look to move Moss for a very solid to elite defensive stud to anchor the defense, perhaps a consistent unstellar WR and some top draft picks. Personally, I think they should target Baltimore in a deal -- the Ravens have defense they can spare, and so desperately need a WR. I'm far from being a Ravens fan, but this makes the most sense for both squads. I'd love to see him in Green Bay, but the Packers and the Packerfans wouldnt' have him after the playoff mooning, and neither do the Packers ahve the players to trade to make the deal worthwhile (plus, the Vikings won't trade Moss to a conference rival). Imagine if the Eagles decided to move Kearse or some other defensive stability for Moss -- and then lined him up with Owens for McNabb to play with! Moss would also make a nice investment for the Steelers.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:37 pm

Adalius Thomas or Terrell Suggs at least a 1st and 2nd rounder (probably not in the same year) for Moss. That almost seems plausible.

As much as they may not have anothe true #1 WR, having no defense is literally killing their seasons. They need to beef up the defense, and a young proven LB and some picks to restock with would make more of a difference than trading up to get a top 10 guy in the draft.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:29 pm

maddog60 wrote:Adalius Thomas or Terrell Suggs at least a 1st and 2nd rounder (probably not in the same year) for Moss. That almost seems plausible.

If I'm not mistaken, Thomas is an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Terrell Suggs, while equipped with amazing potential, wouldn't bring the LEADERSHIP the Vikings so desperately need. Don't get me wrong, the Vikings need to improve their defense, but having someone out there that can "quarterback" the defense, would greatly improve the Vikings.

The only way I see this trade happening is if the Vikings get a great, veteran LB, draft pick(s), and cut money under the cap. Keep in mind, if the deal is not favoring the Vikings, they can just forget about it. Will Witherspoon, Jeramiah Trotter, and Julian Peterson are all free agents this season. The Vikings (being under the cap $20 mil) should be able to improve their linebacker core, with or without a trade.

As far as I know, a Moss trade would never happen.

ALSO, This is getting old. Let's try to move this conversation to the Vikings Team Page.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk