Moss leaving the Vikes sidelines...for good? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Moss leaving the Vikes sidelines...for good?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:46 pm

Seriously, if this trade was that near completion, we would be hearing A LOT more about it.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:48 pm

Agreed Bennett. Everything is speculation right now but it's pretty clear the Vikings are shopping though, or being shopped.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:06 pm

Bennett4Prez wrote:Seriously, if this trade was that near completion, we would be hearing A LOT more about it.

Not much is being said about possible trades in the Twin Cities papers other than the columnists all writing that he should be traded. As I have said b/4 I hope they don't trade him but if they do I wouldn't mind him going to the Ravens or the Raiders. Just please don't trade him to an NFC team, especially an NFC North team. Can you imagine the numbers Randy would put up if his new team plays the Vikings........nightmare. To get an idea just look at the numbers he has put up against the Cowboys, a team he felt most snubbed by in the 1998 draft. They had two chances to take him before the Vikings did. Kind of a reverse Herschel, lol. He has made them pay big-time.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that there are alot of us wearing bags these days........!
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby CC » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:40 pm

I think that it would be a big mistake to deal Moss for Buchanon and the #7 pick. Buchanon is highly over-rated and I don't think he is worth Moss even with the #7 pick thrown in. If by some stretch of the imagination this trade did somehow happen I would expect the Vikes to invest the #7 pick in Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:42 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I think that it would be a big mistake to deal Moss for Buchanon and the #7 pick. Buchanon is highly ove - and I don't think he is worth Moss even with the #7 pick thrown in. If by some stretch of the imagination this trade did somehow happen I would expect the Vikes to invest the #7 pick in Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards.

it would be dumb, but if he ends up on the ravens, it's all good!
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:53 pm

Bennett4Prez wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Adalius Thomas or Terrell Suggs at least a 1st and 2nd rounder (probably not in the same year) for Moss. That almost seems plausible.

If I'm not mistaken, Thomas is an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Terrell Suggs, while equipped with amazing potential, wouldn't bring the LEADERSHIP the Vikings so desperately need. Don't get me wrong, the Vikings need to improve their defense, but having someone out there that can "quarterback" the defense, would greatly improve the Vikings.

The only way I see this trade happening is if the Vikings get a great, veteran LB, draft pick(s), and cut money under the cap. Keep in mind, if the deal is not favoring the Vikings, they can just forget about it. Will Witherspoon, Jeramiah Trotter, and Julian Peterson are all free agents this season. The Vikings (being under the cap $20 mil) should be able to improve their linebacker core, with or without a trade.

As far as I know, a Moss trade would never happen.

ALSO, This is getting old. Let's try to move this conversation to the Vikings Team Page.

While this would never happen, an Urlacher/Moss trade seems like kind of a good idea. Both teams fill their biggest need, and the Bears have done fine on defense when Urlacher hasn't played, even with some other key injuries (Brown and Tillman).
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby TTTBone » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:55 pm

The rumor floated today by a local Minny radio station (93X) was Moss going to Oakland, and all these rumors should be considered complete crap for the time being. However, do these rumors actually mean anything? I think they do.
I think they mean Moss is on the block, but you will have to pay a very high price. There are those in the Vikings organization who don't think Moss is "worth the trouble" anymore, and would rather build the core of the team around CPepp and deal Moss for Picks & Players.
Reportedly, Miami inquired about Moss last year and were informed that it would take three 1st round picks. A price no team would be willing to give.
However, with the Vikes feeling very secure about Culpepper and with the emergence of Burleson (and to a lesser extent the performance of Marcus Robinson) during Moss' absence (no big drop in CPepps numbers), the Vikings may now be willing to deal Moss and look to build the team around Culpepper rather than Randy. Really, it has been all about Randy under Tice.
Of course the price would be extremely high, but probably nowhere near the former unrealistic asking price of three #1 picks. IMO, it would be more like a couple decent LB/D-back guys and a #1 & #2-3 somewhere in the next two drafts.
Of course, this is all just idle speculation, but I get the feeling that Moss himself wouldn't have any problem with getting a new start somewhere else, and the Viking management may be willing to accomodate him if the price is right. Maybe most telling is the lack of owner, management, coaches and Moss himself to address the rumors.
I would venture to say Moss is on the block.
Should be a high price to pay though.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:29 pm

i highly doubt moss will go anywhere...but if he did go to the ravens...man...look out. with moss and a mediocre #2 receiver, the ravens might be a force. plus, he would fit right in with all the thugish-trouble maker type guys :-) :-? :-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk